Scotland Centre Backs

4 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Jack Hendry part of a defence winning in the Champions League but Clarke will probably pick Declan Gallagher ahead of him emoji1787.pngemoji1787.png Only in Scotland emoji849.png

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Tom Hardy Bait GIF

Must be. Has to be. Surely to god. 

Good insight into Steve Clarkes thoughts about Jack Hendry and Grant Hanley.

Asked about Hendry’s performance against PSG after naming his squad for the double header at Hampden yesterday, he said:

“I watched it from start to finish on television. It was great to see.

I brought big Jack into the Scotland fold this year because of what I had seen him as a player. I saw him at Dundee when I first came up to Kilmarnock and liked him. He went to Celtic and I was surprised it didn’t work out for him because he has got all the right ingredients to be a top, top centre back. Now, he is starting to show it.

I think people underestimate the jump when you come into the national squad. I tried him in a couple of games. He did okay. But I wouldn’t say he was on the top of his form. But he has improved every time he has come away with the team. The performance in Austria was his best for us. Now he has to build on that. Hopefully his performances for the national team will keep getting better and better.”

Hendry’s central defensive partner Grant Hanley will miss the Group F match against Israel at Hampden on Sunday week through suspension and Clarke confessed not having the Norwich City man is a huge blow.

“Having Grant Hanley beside him helped Jack, Grant has done well for us. People talk about players’ use of the ball and they’d say that’s not part of his game. But as he gets more experience - and working with the German coach at Norwich - I think Grant has improved a lot in that department.

So, he will be a big miss for us against Israel. He’s been around the Scotland set-up for a good number of years. But I managed to persuade him to come back into the squad after a little bit of a break. And he’s been great for us. I think on his recent performances everyone has given him enough fair credit. Everyone can see what he gives to us. People forget in the game against Croatia (in Euro 2020) he went off injured and that affected us quite a lot.

When I first spoke to him about coming back he was great. He missed one camp because of injury but I eventually got him back. He’s low maintenance. There’s no airs and graces about Grant. He comes in and does his job - a manager’s dream to be fair. When we talked he just wanted to know he was getting picked. And I was picking him. I brought him in to play. I like his qualities and I think he’s improved us.”

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/19611457.steve-clarke-jack-hendrys-heroics-champions-league-example-young-scottish-player/

Edited by 2426255

Good insight into Steve Clarkes thoughts about Jack Hendry and Grant Hanley.
Asked about Hendry’s performance against PSG after naming his squad for the double header at Hampden yesterday, he said:
“I watched it from start to finish on television. It was great to see.
I brought big Jack into the Scotland fold this year because of what I had seen him as a player. I saw him at Dundee when I first came up to Kilmarnock and liked him. He went to Celtic and I was surprised it didn’t work out for him because he has got all the right ingredients to be a top, top centre back. Now, he is starting to show it.
I think people underestimate the jump when you come into the national squad. I tried him in a couple of games. He did okay. But I wouldn’t say he was on the top of his form. But he has improved every time he has come away with the team. The performance in Austria was his best for us. Now he has to build on that. Hopefully his performances for the national team will keep getting better and better.”

Hendry’s central defensive partner Grant Hanley will miss the Group F match against Israel at Hampden on Sunday week through suspension and Clarke confessed not having the Norwich City man is a huge blow.

“Having Grant Hanley beside him helped Jack, Grant has done well for us. People talk about players’ use of the ball and they’d say that’s not part of his game. But as he gets more experience - and working with the German coach at Norwich - I think Grant has improved a lot in that department.
So, he will be a big miss for us against Israel. He’s been around the Scotland set-up for a good number of years. But I managed to persuade him to come back into the squad after a little bit of a break. And he’s been great for us. I think on his recent performances everyone has given him enough fair credit. Everyone can see what he gives to us. People forget in the game against Croatia (in Euro 2020) he went off injured and that affected us quite a lot.
When I first spoke to him about coming back he was great. He missed one camp because of injury but I eventually got him back. He’s low maintenance. There’s no airs and graces about Grant. He comes in and does his job - a manager’s dream to be fair. When we talked he just wanted to know he was getting picked. And I was picking him. I brought him in to play. I like his qualities and I think he’s improved us.”

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/19611457.steve-clarke-jack-hendrys-heroics-champions-league-example-young-scottish-player/
He'll still probably pick Andy Considine ahead of Hendry [emoji23][emoji24] Typical Scotland [emoji849]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Scott McKenna said this and when I saw him say "five or six players fighting for those two positions" it made me wonder if it was an error or if we are maybe going to go with two centre backs instead of three. Just speculation really but maybe in there will be more information in upcoming press conferences to fuel this.

“It might open things up but Scott McTominay is back and we have Liam Cooper, Jack Hendry and Kieran Tierney. There are lots of options for the manager to pick from. I have always said it is far better having competition than lads playing because that is all that is there. There are five or six players fighting for those two positions and it means the team will be in a better position because of that.”

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/3519033/former-aberdeen-defender-scott-mckenna-aiming-to-regain-scotland-starting-spot/

Edited by 2426255

16 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Scott McKenna said this and when I saw him say "five or six players fighting for those two positions" it made me wonder if it was an error or if we are maybe going to go with two centre backs instead of three. Just speculation really but maybe in there will be more information in upcoming press conferences to fuel this.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/3519033/former-aberdeen-defender-scott-mckenna-aiming-to-regain-scotland-starting-spot/

I guess he could also just be meaning that Tierney’s position is a given and everyone else is fighting for the other two positions...

We've some interesting selection headaches developing.

Hendry and Hanley could have the makings of a good partnership if we went with a back 4 but we probably won't as Tierney has to play in a back 3 if he and Robertson both play.

You've then got McTominay who is difficult to leave out but with Gilmour emerging in midfield it's tricky to work out where to slot him in unless it's at the back with one of the above left out.

A better place to be than previously. Suspect McTominay may come in for Hanley in this game with Hendry in the middle.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Hendry, Cooper, Tierney for me. McTominay in midfield next to Gilmour. 

I'd agree with this on the basis that Tierney and McTominay are not natural centre halves. Yes they are both good players and competent enough to fill in but you wouldn't want 2/3 not being natural centre backs would you?

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

1 hour ago, ahemps said:

I'd agree with this on the basis that Tierney and McTominay are not natural centre halves. Yes they are both good players and competent enough to fill in but you wouldn't want 2/3 not being natural centre backs would you?

The benefit with having Callum McGregor playing in the LDM position is that he covers when Andy Robertson and Kieran Tierney go marauding. If Billy Gilmour is on that side is there a risk he won't be as effective defensively? or would you play Scott McTominay on an unfamiliar side? Just a consideration as it's these unseen things that could affect the balance of the midfield.

I guess that's partly why fans were beating on Stuart Armstrong against the Czech Republic, but if you re-watch it, when Andy Robertson when forward Stuart Armstrong covered.

Edited by 2426255

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Definitely wouldn't be against that, Cooper gets a bit of unfair stick from Scotland fans and Leeds fans.

Can't see him dropping McGregor though he has been in good form for Scotland. 

1 hour ago, ahemps said:

It worked at Wembley. Not that I'm totally on board with the back 3 against Israel, I think they may have our number on it given the amount we've played against each other recently