Scotland Centre Backs

On 31/08/2021 at 22:42, Clown Job said:

Don’t forget his spell in Australia also

The guy was treated like a leper at times with us 

Good to see him doing well 

I’m glad to see him doing well in Belgium. I felt sorry for him when he was at Celtic, never seen the point in treating young players like that.

16 minutes ago, DavidMcG said:

Tierney, Hanley and Hendry.

Thats the back three. 

Just a shame Hanley now out of the Israel game 

Yep massive loss. You’d hope Cooper will come in for him but I really think Clark sees Gallagher as a like for like replacement for Hanley in the middle of a 3.

5 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Yep massive loss. You’d hope Cooper will come in for him but I really think Clark sees Gallagher as a like for like replacement for Hanley in the middle of a 3.

Is Mctominay likely to be back? Could end up with him on the right and Hendry moves into the middle.

On 14/03/2021 at 16:09, Ludo*1 said:

I prefer Hanley & Hendry to Gallagher. I think Hendry gets an unfair time because he had a bad time of it at Celtic and that seems to have defined his career in the eyes of many. Hope he can fulfill the potential he showed whilst at Dens and starts getting into the squad again.

Gallagher, Caulker (another that's been recommended at times) & Hendry all had stints for Dundee at CH and Hendry looked a class above the other two. Granted, all were at differing stages of their career and can go on to improve but Hendry was considerably better than Gallagher was for Dundee at the ages they were at. Gallagher being with us from 22-24 and Hendry from 21-22.

smug american psycho GIF

Is Mctominay likely to be back? Could end up with him on the right and Hendry moves into the middle.
I did wonder this as I think Hendry played there for Oostende, but I'm not sure McT will be back and I think it'll be Cooper anyway.

Two massive turnarounds from Hanley and Hendry. After the Celtic spell, I wasn't too sure about Hendry until this month tbh but he's beginning to look the park - my MotM tonight.

Hanley's been ridiculous. Our best player at the Euros and has developed into a colossus for us.

36 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I did wonder this as I think Hendry played there for Oostende, but I'm not sure McT will be back and I think it'll be Cooper anyway.

Two massive turnarounds from Hanley and Hendry. After the Celtic spell, I wasn't too sure about Hendry until this month tbh but he's beginning to look the park - my MotM tonight.

Hanley's been ridiculous. Our best player at the Euros and has developed into a colossus for us.

Yeah I've given Hanley a ton of criticism before he came back into the side in the last few months but besides a few sloppy moments on the ball he's done really well.

I wouldn't be moving Hendry across - he likes to have a big unit in the middle and two more mobile progressive guys in the wider positions (except in Denmark for some reason), so it makes sense to keep Hendry on the right and bring in any of Cooper, Gallagher or McKenna.

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
1 hour ago, Rodhull said:

I wouldn't be moving Hendry across - he likes to have a big unit in the middle and two more mobile progressive guys in the wider positions (except in Denmark for some reason), so it makes sense to keep Hendry on the right and bring in any of Cooper, Gallagher or McKenna.

I think Hendry played in the middle of a back 3 at his previous club in Belgium.

2 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Hendry should stay exactly where he is and McTominay be the middle man in that case.

Has Mctominay ever played as the middle man? I thought the whole point of him and Tierney playing where they did was to link up with the full backs and progress the ball into midfield with a more out and out stopper type playing in the middle. I don't think Mctominay is suited for that role.

I'm happy putting McTominay in there in certain games as I do think he's been better on the ball from CB than Hendry has, plus Hendry's been up-and-down enough for Scotland this year that his place isn't nailed on, but if he keeps this up then yeah the position will deservedly be his.

Btw I thought both CBs for the U21s were good today. I know Welsh tended to play on the right when Celtic played a three, but his attributes seemed more suited to playing in the middle but I don't think he's tall enough for that.

8 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Has Mctominay ever played as the middle man? I thought the whole point of him and Tierney playing where they did was to link up with the full backs and progress the ball into midfield with a more out and out stopper type playing in the middle. I don't think Mctominay is suited for that role.

I’m just playing devils advocate relative to the two players you mentioned previously. I think Hendry did quite well in the RCB position and probably deserves to stay there. 

I don’t see any reason McTominay can’t play the central role but it if the opposition necessitate a meat-n-tatties centur hawf then the jury’s still out on whether McTominay can be that guy. Personally I’d rather just get him into the midfield.