Scotland Centre Backs

21 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

We’re likely to take at least one, probably two Scottish Premiership CBs to the Euros.

Andy Considine should not be among them. Declan Gallagher probably shouldn’t be either given his club form but will probably squeeze in based on his previous Scotland form.

Get Jason Kerr in there, or even better, Saints’ entire back three. Big sexy b*****ds every one of them.

The Saints backline is quite interesting. I seen some statistical analysis of the league as a whole that showed that as individuals all 3 had significant strengths but also clear weaknesses. As a unit though these balanced out so credit to the manager as he's clearly built a reasonably strong system with the materials he has.

Are any of the three good enough for Scotland? Well I'm sure Clark would love to have a stable of centre backs to pick without weaknesses and he has himself built a system to make best use of what he has. I think the Saints players individually could do a job in our system but we probably have better versions of the same players already in the squads picked with stronger strengths and less weak weaknesses. They're all young enough to keep developing though, the reality is that unless they get a move to the Championship and do well there they will probably always be a good unit but not quite individually good enough.

None of our 3 CBs are good enough, yet, IMO.

But at the same time, I'd have all 3 at the club instead of Gallagher or Considine, so they'd maybe step up better than I think.

We've played the same system(s) as Scotland all season, so you'd like to think that would help their cause, but I'd be amazed if they made it into the Euros squad. Maybe squeeze into a squad after it's done.

Third full 90 in a row for Souttar tonight. Nice to see him back, playing in a back three too.
This tournament will come too soon for him, but he may make his Scotland return in the autumn all things going well. If not next year at some point.
It'd be wonderful if that happened. Main thing for the guy though is just getting an extended run of games and getting over what is surely a huge mental trauma from his horrendous run of similar injuries.
Best thing is, when he's ready, he seems like exactly the type of player SC would call on and use wisely.

12 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

It'd be wonderful if that happened. Main thing for the guy though is just getting an extended run of games and getting over what is surely a huge mental trauma from his horrendous run of similar injuries.
Best thing is, when he's ready, he seems like exactly the type of player SC would call on and use wisely.

Perfect for the right centre back role if we persist with three at the back. 

Perfect for the right centre back role if we persist with three at the back. 
He's been playing on the left of a three* for Hearts which I find quite weird but I haven't watched them so maybe there's a reason for it.

*Which isn't where he'd play for us, obviously.

If he came back in December/January then he might have ended up starting at the Euros due to Jack's injury.

Don't see Liam Cooper getting back in the Leeds team this season and would be surprised if he's a first choice next year. Struijk has come on leaps and bounds so I reckon it'll be him and one of Llorente/Koch. Interesting to see if Cooper sticks around or if he moves in the summer.

10 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Don't see Liam Cooper getting back in the Leeds team this season and would be surprised if he's a first choice next year. Struijk has come on leaps and bounds so I reckon it'll be him and one of Llorente/Koch. Interesting to see if Cooper sticks around or if he moves in the summer.

Its almost as if League One Liam as the Leeds fans called him for years isn't particularly good, despite you raving about him cause he played 14 games in the EPL due to injuries.

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Saw Considine and Cooper are fighting for one of the places in the squad as are Patterson and Palmer. 

just say you read the shitty sun article m9.

Theres no way League one Liam captain of a team in the top half of the Barclays is fighting for a place in the squad with a guy like Considine who has spent 90% of his career as joke figure.

Given Clarke’s loyalty to previous squads and Patterson’s ban/lack of starts and Palmers insta post/versatility I refuse to believe he’ll get left out for Patterson.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

• 2 months later...

Probably went under the radar, but Scott McKenna was immense in the air when he had to cover for Grant Hanley against Croatia, didn't lose a single ball. It's a good battle between him and Declan Gallagher for the 2nd choice central centre back. Looking forward to seeing how Declan Gallagher gets on at Aberdeen this season.