Scotland Centre Backs

Fingers crossed on Tierney firstly. 

Would really like to see Clarke start a settled three centre halves in next two games against Holland and Luxembourg and try and really build a good relationship.

Tierney, Hanley and Gallagher would be my personal picks with Cooper as the preferred back up. 

Hanley seems to have matured a bit and yes he can be rugged but must be in form with the way Norwich have performed this season (and he's the captain). Gallagher hasn't put a foot wrong for us and I really think he could be playing at a higher level than he is.

Hanley hasn't looked better.  He's been fine but he's looked worse, hence the question.  

Not a chance[emoji23] Hanley’s stats in the championship this season are absolutely brilliant and he’s superior the Gallagher. He’s ranked the 4th best player in the entire league.

Jack Hendry just won the best player in the Belgian pro league award. Based on in game stats by the look of it and not sure if there are other awards that are more prestigious. Still, must be doing his confidence the world of good ... I’ve always thought he would settle down to be a really accomplished player and more than happy for him to be the rcb of a 3 in the Euros.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Once he does actually settle down into an accomplished player he can definitely be part of our defence, but until then he can wait.

He has settled down into an accomplished player. 

I think McTominay is better but he's also better in midfield.

28 minutes ago, It's my pancreas, John. said:

I'd want McTominay to play RCB if Clarke lines up with a back 3.   His passing into forwards feet,  or diagonals towards Robertson/Tierney have been invaluable.   You simply don't get that with Hendry or an out of position Cooper.    

Tierney is a given at LCB.  

For the central role I would play Gallagher provided he gets game time with Motherwell.    It's important not to forget how brilliant he was against Mitrovic during the playoff.   He truly didn't give him a sniff.   It's the first time since Colin Hendry retired that I didn't feel too concerned about cross balls or long balls.    It's a huge asset to have a 6 ft 5 centre half.    Moving on to the finals and we have England who're historically excellent from corners, set pieces.    Croatia should pick Petkovic who's excellent in the air and Czechs are all big lads.   

While it's great to see Hendry and Hanley getting some praise for excellent domestic form it's completely irrelevant to what's the best product mix for these games.     

For far too long out CH's have been battered by a big centre forward.    In the past we've made players like Dzyuba look like world beaters.   We've had Strachan bemoan our lack of height.   

I wish we had two McTominay's. He's the best at RCB but also one of the best midfielders in Europe now.

Apart from that for the middle all of our options are much of a muchness so I'm not really that bothered.

We seem to have an ever growing clutch of decent centre backs. Lads who are solid in the Scottish Premiership or can do a job in the English Championship (or similar) but aren't going to interest clubs in the English top flight or inspire us to really feel solid at the back.

Hanley, McKenna, Gallagher, McIntyre, Lindsay, Considine and currently Hendry all sit somewhere around that level for me. And I can see the likes of a fit Souttar, Porteous and Bates joining them. Maybe even Welsh.

To really push on I think we need to see a couple lads crack the English Premier league. You only have to look at the difference in our midfield since we've seen McGinn, McTominay, Armstrong and Fraser get established at that level to see the benefits of playing week in and week out for our players.

At the moment I think Clark has found a way to paper over the cracks by identifying that Tierney and McTominay who aren't primarily centre backs can do a job there for us and are used to playing at a higher level of intensity and quality. Gallagher and more recently Hanley can then provide a more limited job as the 'muscle'.

I haven't mentioned Cooper yet but he seems to be doing a credible job at the right level though unfortunate injuries have prevented us from seeing if he can translate that to the Scotland team. Hanley may also get his third crack at the Premier league next season. I don't feel confident that these boys are what we really need to push on long term, though they may be good enough to do the job for the short term.

Hendry has been linked with Wolves amongst others, and young Jamie Hamilton has been linked with Brighton. We've also Liam Morrison at Bayern though it's far too early to judge how that will pan out. Perhaps these guys might finally provide the security we need at the back.

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

I've never seen Morrison but it is funny that pretty much nothing is made about us having a player at one of Bayern's youth sides on here or from what I've seen on Twitter.

Is he actually any good?

Not much to say just now until we get a look at him.

Saw him four times for Scotland u17's and he certainly looked accomplished and ready to step up a level. Better than the other players around him. But whether he'll make it at Bayern or not who knows.

Leon King at Rangers also very highly rated.

1 hour ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

I believe he is one of two players at Bayern, along with 2 at Man City and some others dotted around the big 6 in England. Certainly a thing to feel hopeful about.

Yeah, Liam Morrison and Barry Hepburn are in Bayerns youth sides.

Think Liam Smith at City is very highly rated, but probably already decided he'll be English.

48 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah, Liam Morrison and Barry Hepburn are in Bayerns youth sides.

Think Liam Smith at City is very highly rated, but probably already decided he'll be English.

They signed him from us and I'm pretty sure he's from Stevenston, so I doubt he'll be playing for England.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

They signed him from us and I'm pretty sure he's from Stevenston, so I doubt he'll be playing for England.

I honestly just assume every young Brit is eligible for at least 2 "home nations" these days, tbh.

On 21/04/2021 at 17:00, Scumjob said:

We seem to have an ever growing clutch of decent centre backs. Lads who are solid in the Scottish Premiership or can do a job in the English Championship (or similar) but aren't going to interest clubs in the English top flight or inspire us to really feel solid at the back.

Hanley, McKenna, Gallagher, McIntyre, Lindsay, Considine and currently Hendry all sit somewhere around that level for me. And I can see the likes of a fit Souttar, Porteous and Bates joining them. Maybe even Welsh.

To really push on I think we need to see a couple lads crack the English Premier league. You only have to look at the difference in our midfield since we've seen McGinn, McTominay, Armstrong and Fraser get established at that level to see the benefits of playing week in and week out for our players.

At the moment I think Clark has found a way to paper over the cracks by identifying that Tierney and McTominay who aren't primarily centre backs can do a job there for us and are used to playing at a higher level of intensity and quality. Gallagher and more recently Hanley can then provide a more limited job as the 'muscle'.

I haven't mentioned Cooper yet but he seems to be doing a credible job at the right level though unfortunate injuries have prevented us from seeing if he can translate that to the Scotland team. Hanley may also get his third crack at the Premier league next season. I don't feel confident that these boys are what we really need to push on long term, though they may be good enough to do the job for the short term.

Hendry has been linked with Wolves amongst others, and young Jamie Hamilton has been linked with Brighton. We've also Liam Morrison at Bayern though it's far too early to judge how that will pan out. Perhaps these guys might finally provide the security we need at the back.

I would say Hendry, McKenna and Hamilton all look like they could play in a league such as the EPL. Morrison is the best Scottish youth defender I’ve ever seen, so I’m hopeful he’ll make the grade. 

If Andy Considine is anywhere near the squad it will just be a bit of a sympathy vote or for team morale. He's had a pretty poor season which culminated in that absolutely rotten showing yesterday. Loyalty only goes so far, and there at least a dozen centre-backs who are more deserving of a spot in the squad.

Edited by craigkillie

9 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If Andy Considine is anywhere near the squad it will just be a bit of a sympathy vote or for team morale. He's had a pretty poor season which culminated in that absolutely rotten showing yesterday. Loyalty only goes so far, and there at least a dozens centre-backs who are more deserving of a spot in the squad.

A dozen is bit harsh but he should be no where near the squad.

We’re likely to take at least one, probably two Scottish Premiership CBs to the Euros.

Andy Considine should not be among them. Declan Gallagher probably shouldn’t be either given his club form but will probably squeeze in based on his previous Scotland form.

Get Jason Kerr in there, or even better, Saints’ entire back three. Big sexy b*****ds every one of them.