Scotland Centre Backs

37 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Cooper out injured by the looks of things.

A massive blow as he is second in the PL for blocks, fourth for interceptions and ninth for tackles across all position groups.

I've never been a fan of stats in football tbh.

Those may look impressive, but the defenders at for example Man City will have to do a hell of a lot less defending than those at Leeds.

So I'm always suspicious of stats in football, they can be very misleading.

Those stats would suggest he's one of the best CB's in the division, when the reality is he's doing well to even be in that division, and won't be first choice when their two first choice players are fit.

6 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

I've never been a fan of stats in football tbh.

Those may look impressive, but the defenders at for example Man City will have to do a hell of a lot less defending than those at Leeds.

So I'm always suspicious of stats in football, they can be very misleading.

Those stats would suggest he's one of the best CB's in the division, when the reality is he's doing well to even be in that division, and won't be first choice when their two first choice players are fit.

I've watched nearly every Leeds game this season. He has been a stick out. Brings the ball out of defence a hell of a lot better than lumps like Gallagher, McKenna, Considine etc and can obviously defend at the top level. He passes the eye test and has the stats to back it up. He will be in the conversation for Leeds' player of the year and all reports in media down that way point to him being first choice. He's had a rotating cast of partners at CB and hasn't let his performances dip at all.

The biggest hill I am willing to die on with respect to the national team is that putting Cooper at RCB and moving McTominay into midfield would improve us immeasurably.

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

I've watched nearly every Leeds game this season. He has been a stick out. Brings the ball out of defence a hell of a lot better than lumps like Gallagher, McKenna, Considine etc and can obviously defend at the top level. He passes the eye test and has the stats to back it up. He will be in the conversation for Leeds' player of the year and all reports in media down that way point to him being first choice. He's had a rotating cast of partners at CB and hasn't let his performances dip at all.

The biggest hill I am willing to die on with respect to the national team is that putting Cooper at RCB and moving McTominay into midfield would improve us immeasurably.

That would depend on anyone valuing your opinion.

He is obviously a nailed-on squad member, but RCB for a left-footed player is far from ideal, and he will obviously be dropped when their first choices are available.

There's a reason this is his first full season in the top flight at what about 30 years old. He's a Championship level player.

5 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Cooper out injured by the looks of things.

A massive blow as he is second in the PL for blocks, fourth for interceptions and ninth for tackles across all position groups.

Impressive stats that. Hopefully won't be too long. 

5 minutes ago, edinabear said:

The 3 centre halves should be Tierney, Cooper and Hanley. All on form and playing at a higher level than the alternatives 

Would agree with this but we are running out of time to get them game time together ahead of the Euros.

We’re actually really short for this triple header. Cooper and McKenna are out, and Gallagher is only just coming back after injury, though should be fit. Assume we’ll start with Tierney, Gallagher and McTominay. Considine on the bench and that’s it for centre backs who were in the last squad.

No idea how Considine has been playing of late but I don’t think defending has been the issue for Aberdeen of late. Gallagher’s recent form and recent injury are the more pressing concern.

3 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

We’re actually really short for this triple header. Cooper and McKenna are out, and Gallagher is only just coming back after injury, though should be fit. Assume we’ll start with Tierney, Gallagher and McTominay. Considine on the bench and that’s it for centre backs who were in the last squad.

No idea how Considine has been playing of late but I don’t think defending has been the issue for Aberdeen of late. Gallagher’s recent form and recent injury are the more pressing concern.

assuming Gallagher was sitting out cause of injury and not some contract issue as some have suggested. Hopefully he will be back playing soon - I would ay he is a definite starter and a far better option than Hanley. 

Take that back ref McKenna - he actually played today. I thought he was still injured. I assume he’ll be in, though he has only played four games since November with two long injury breaks in that time. Hopefully he doesn’t break down again.

Even if Gallagher and McKenna are fine, and they probably should be, Considine is still our only backup option to play in the wider CB roles. I know Porteous plays in the middle of a three for Hibs but is he an option? Clarke seems to like him and I can see some attributes that suit the role.

1 hour ago, KingRocketman II said:

assuming Gallagher was sitting out cause of injury and not some contract issue as some have suggested. Hopefully he will be back playing soon - I would ay he is a definite starter and a far better option than Hanley. 

In what world is declan gallagher a better defender than grant Hanley? Gallagher did well when he came in but Hanley is several levels above in experience and ability 

1 hour ago, ewan14 said:

When is Souttar going to be fit ?

He won't be ready. Starts training right about now, but will be a long way from match fitness.

I actually think eventually him and Jamie Hamilton will probably be our best options to play RCB, both mobile and can play a bit. Both for the future though now just now, and Souttar is dependent on getting back to his best.

Jack Hendry bound to be in this squad too, but generally plays central.

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

Even if Gallagher and McKenna are fine, and they probably should be, Considine is still our only backup option to play in the wider CB roles. I know Porteous plays in the middle of a three for Hibs but is he an option? Clarke seems to like him and I can see some attributes that suit the role.

Probably could come in and do a job for these next few games. 

2 hours ago, edinabear said:

In what world is declan gallagher a better defender than grant Hanley? Gallagher did well when he came in but Hanley is several levels above in experience and ability 

by simply looking at their performances for Scotland. Gallagher has been assured and confident across his 7 games whereas Hanley for many of his 29 odd games has been shakey and error prone. 

so in answer to your question - the world of international football. 

by simply looking at their performances for Scotland. Gallagher has been assured and confident across his 7 games whereas Hanley for many of his 29 odd games has been shakey and error prone. 
so in answer to your question - the world of international football. 

I’m sorry but you’re judgement on Hanley is based on matches several years ago. He drastically improved his level from even 2 years ago - especially through this season. I won’t be surprised if he earns plenty plaudits in the Prem next year.

He’s literally playing for a team running away with the championship in which he’s put under great pressure to play out from the back in tight areas every game.

Still though we’re desperate to find out how any Centre Back other than him in the league is doing when statistically he’s been the best.

IMG_1615708831.030749.jpg

1 hour ago, cameron2000 said:

I’m sorry but you’re judgement on Hanley is based on matches several years ago. He drastically improved his level from even 2 years ago - especially through this season. I won’t be surprised if he earns plenty plaudits in the Prem next year.

He’s literally playing for a team running away with the championship in which he’s put under great pressure to play out from the back in tight areas every game.

Still though we’re desperate to find out how any Centre Back other than him in the league is doing when statistically he’s been the best.

Thats what its all about 🤷‍♂️

I'd have Hanley in the squad. But its not like we have anything close to a world class centre back.

So were looking at up and coming players to see how far they could go. And whether they will be worth calling up now or in the future.

Why wouldn’t we be discussing potential players.

My head literally exploded reading about Souttar, Porteous, Hendry and then seeing fucking WhoScored ratings being used to tout the fucking cart horse Hanley.

Absolutely mad. You've got a crock who isn't even a good CB, then two rash, immature, weak CBs who constantly give away daft fouls. Hanley we already know struggles.

Edited by RandomGuy.

I mean wasn't Hanley a regular centre back in the Premier league at one point for Blackburn and Newcastle, likely back when he was putting in those terrible performances for Scotland? I'm not sure why playing well in the league below now is an example of how he has improved so much?

Probably a good chance if Norwich do get promoted they'll buy another centre back and he won't play often just like last time they got promoted.