Scotland Centre Backs

The back three was to get Tierney and Robertson both on the pitch, I’m certain of that. 
It definitely might have been but it could have just been a coincidence that Tierney came back after Clarke had 10 months to think about the team and settled on this system.

Craigkillie's points all make sense too but we had a lot of those issues when he was appointed. I can understand sticking with a more familiar formation for the June games but we could've changed for the Russia-Belgium double-header. Has Charlie Mulgrew inadvertently sent us to the Euros?

It's not even an important point, I just think it would be quite interesting to know. Hopefully someone asks Clarke by the time of the Euros.

6 hours ago, woof! said:

The back three was to get Tierney and Robertson both on the pitch, I’m certain of that. 

That won't change

But Mctominay should take jacks slot in midfield

That means, Hanley or Gallagher at right centre back. But Mctominay can't defend anyway

That won't change
That means, Hanley or Gallagher at right centre back. But Mctominay can't defend anyway

If McTominay can't defend then why do you think it's a good idea to take out our best defensive midfielder to accommodate him?

7 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

As important as Robertson is, I think Tierney might be the better option in the LWB role for us due to his blistering pace and (IMO) better crossing ability.

Hopefully this isn't any longer in dispute.    

Robertson needs someone in front of him.  At Liverpool he has Mane, during his best games for Scotland he's linked with Ryan Fraser, Snodgrass.  

With a clear field in front Tierney is unquestionably better and has been for many years.   

That said, I would keep things as they are, because I want both in the team.    But on occasion I'd have liked Steve Clarke to be a bit more ballsy - for example the last away game in Israel Eli Dasa (for the third time) completely nullified and got the better of Andy Robertson.   At that time I'd have liked Clarke to give Tierney a run at him by taking off Robertson and subbing on a new LCB.  

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

If McTominay can't defend then why do you think it's a good idea to take out our best defensive midfielder to accommodate him?

Em, to put him in midfield his natural position he plays for Man utd

18 hours ago, Binos said:

That won't change

I wouldn’t put Gallagher there. Hanley, Hendry, Souttar and McCrorie would all be contenders. 

3 hours ago, Binos said:

Shut up, he plays there for Man utd and you know he does

McTominay can quite clearly play the holding role for Scotland,  I don't know why Craig is trying to be p***kly.    He's played that very well for Man Utd countless times and excellently on occasion like against PSG.   If OGS had Callum McGregor in his squad there's no way he'd pick McGregor above McTominay or Fred for that role.    Having a taller midfielder can be an advantage in any aerial dual, and the size as a whole becomes taller if McGregor/ Jack was replaced by a taller RCB.  

I'm not in favour of moving McTominay but it's a perfectly sensible suggestion and a worthy debate. 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

You've just said he can't defend, if that was true why would Man Utd be picking him in a defensive midfield role?

It's a totally different thing

He does not know where to position himself as a centre half

Which is no surprise as he's not a centre half

Anyway just think we should try him midfield and put another centre half in back three slot

6 hours ago, Erih Shtrep said:

McTominay can quite clearly play the holding role for Scotland,  I don't know why Craig is trying to be p***kly.    He's played that very well for Man Utd countless times and excellently on occasion like against PSG.   If OGS had Callum McGregor in his squad there's no way he'd pick McGregor above McTominay or Fred for that role.    Having a taller midfielder can be an advantage in any aerial dual, and the size as a whole becomes taller if McGregor/ Jack was replaced by a taller RCB.  

I'm not in favour of moving McTominay but it's a perfectly sensible suggestion and a worthy debate. 

OGS has the luxury of buying a CB to fulfill the role it requires at RCB. Clarke has to make do with the players at his disposal. He's decided McTominay is the guy.