Scotland Centre Backs

Assuming the first choice three continues to be McTominay - Gallagher - Tierney, then with the emphasis on ability to pass out from defence it does give a bit of a conundrum for the cover.

You'd think the three next in line in no particular order would be McKenna, Cooper and Hanley, but in the event that Tierney or McTominay are out/needed to cover elsewhere can any of those three come in without disrupting the style of play due to less composure in possession?

I guess though if the next in line are John Souttar if fit, Considine and then the likes of Hendry and Bates, taking the hit on ability to step out of the back three with the ball is the trade off we'll need to prioritise defensive competence.

23 hours ago, Binos said:

He's a centre half

That is why

and he is definitely Scottish

( sorry , thinking of 'arry )

Considine came in to the team and did o.k. for us ( at left centre back ) 

The Uglies do not have any Scottish central defenders so you have to look down the league

Edited by ewan14

3 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Assuming the first choice three continues to be McTominay - Gallagher - Tierney, then with the emphasis on ability to pass out from defence it does give a bit of a conundrum for the cover.

You'd think the three next in line in no particular order would be McKenna, Cooper and Hanley

McKenna and Cooper certainly , the right centre back would be between Souttar , Hendry and Hanley

Just watched the last 20 mins of the 1st half of Oostende vs Standard Liege. Hendry looked pretty decent from what I saw. About 4/5 important defensive plays in a short space of time. Will probably watch some of the second half as they're getting tested a fair bit by Liege. On bet365.

Edit: obviously I missed them conceding when typing out this comment.

Last second equaliser from Liege.
Was partly at fault for their 1st goal due to indecision. Half-arsed press and ended up in no mans land. Recovered quickly to pressure the attacker but the keeper could only push the ball towards another Liege player.
He seemed to be playing as a sweeper at times in the second half. Regularly 3m+ behind the rest of the defence and in no rush to get up. May well have been specific to this game as I think they got caught out by balls over the top earlier in the match. Will watch him again at some point.

Tom McIntyre playing really well for Reading tonight. Been playing most weeks recently and theyve been great defensively in that time. Even managed a couple goals.

Also seen that McKenna was captain for Forest recently. Some going in his first season.

Just now, Jacky1990 said:

Tom McIntyre playing really well for Reading tonight. Been playing most weeks recently and theyve been great defensively in that time. Even managed a couple goals.

Also seen that McKenna was captain for Forest recently. Some going in his first season.

Tbh, I've never heard of this guy until this thread. But a young centre back starting every week at a good level is always good news. Ill try and catch a game sometime.

14 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Tbh, I've never heard of this guy until this thread. But a young centre back starting every week at a good level is always good news. Ill try and catch a game sometime.

Got a few U21 caps so been in the Scotland set up for a good few years.

He's only been brought into the side cause their other centre back is injured. But he won MOTM tonight and all the pundits raving about him.

Good to finally have some options at centre back that arent Grant fucking Hanley.

On 28/01/2021 at 21:02, charger29 said:

Just watched the last 20 mins of the 1st half of Oostende vs Standard Liege. Hendry looked pretty decent from what I saw. About 4/5 important defensive plays in a short space of time. Will probably watch some of the second half as they're getting tested a fair bit by Liege. On bet365.

Edit: obviously I missed them conceding when typing out this comment.

David bates has been playing for club Bruges top of the Belgian league

He is still David bates though

Edited by Binos

10 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

Got a few U21 caps so been in the Scotland set up for a good few years.

He's only been brought into the side cause their other centre back is injured. But he won MOTM tonight and all the pundits raving about him.

Good to finally have some options at centre back that arent Grant fucking Hanley.

Is McIntyre not left sided ?