Scotland Centre Backs

3 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Just a pity he's always looked absolutely shit whenever he's played for Scotland.

Way way back he looked ok when playing alongside Russell Martin

Then moved to Newcastle stopped getting regular football and fell apart

He's never really got back in the side since then

8 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Just a pity he's always looked absolutely shit whenever he's played for Scotland.

Who cares, this is the sort of pish fans come out with.  He look a bit dodgy a few times five years ago playing in a team that was an utter shambles when he was still young and developing and low on confidence.

This is why you pick players based on how they're playing right now for their club, not how you reckon they played in a handful of games years ago.

4 minutes ago, Binos said:

Way way back he looked ok when playing alongside Russell Martin

Then moved to Newcastle stopped getting regular football and fell apart

He's never really got back in the side since then

Yeah I remember him looking really promising at one point but as you say got worse over time. I remember the Wales game at Hampden in particular where I think he may have scored but besides that was a total bombscare in a way I can't remember any Scotland centre back being and we've had some ropey ones.

Plus he's been in a lot of squads in recent years and dropped out nearly all of them. If it's not a lack of commitment then he must be one of the most unlucky players for injuries.

4 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Who cares, this is the sort of pish fans come out with.  He look a bit dodgy a few times five years ago playing in a team that was an utter shambles when he was still young and developing and low on confidence.

This is why you pick players based on how they're playing right now for their club, not how you reckon they played in a handful of games years ago.

Sure, just ignore the guys who got you there and pick someone who's always played far worse in the same position and barely bothers turning up.

No thanks.

9 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Sure, just ignore the guys who got you there and pick someone who's always played far worse in the same position and barely bothers turning up.

No thanks.

What do you mean always played worse?  There's a reason why Considine is at Aberdeen and has been his entire career (funnily enough a friend of mine knows him and told me years ago Considine told him everyone at Aberdeen himself included just wanted to get a move to the championsip) and Hanley has spent every second of his career at a higher level than Considine has ever played at?

Barely bothers turning up? He's played 30 times for Scotland. 

This is why 95% of fans' opinions can be instantly dismissed as they are utter guff and why its lucky people with a clue make these decisions, which is also why he's guaranteed to be in our next squad if fit and has a great chance of going to the Euros.

No thanks.
He's been injured for all but 2 of Steve Clarke's squads, and those 2 for which he wasn't injured he was called up. In both of them he had to pull out with... an injury.

Common denominator: injury. It's nothing to do with him " barely bothering to turn up"

2 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

What do you mean always played worse?  There's a reason why Considine is at Aberdeen and has been his entire career (funnily enough a friend of mine knows him and told me years ago Considine told him everyone at Aberdeen himself included just wanted to get a move to the championsip) and Hanley has spent every second of his career at a higher level than Considine has ever played at?

Barely bothers turning up? He's played 30 times for Scotland. 

This is why 95% of fans' opinions can be instantly dismissed as they are utter guff and why its lucky people with a clue make these decisions, which is also why he's guaranteed to be in our next squad if fit and has a great chance of going to the Euros.

Yes but you also claimed to be an ex player in one of your previous personas so I’ll take that revelation about Considine with a pinch of salt.

Making no claims about Considine being a better player than Hanley. Hanley has rarely if ever looked good for Scotland though and since 2016 has rarely played and almost always drops out whenever called up. Not someone a manager should be dropping those who do turn up for if he wants the players to have any respect for him.

I’ll admit your readiness to dismiss opinions of those who disagree with your stupid opinions with complete conviction is almost impressive just for its near Trumpian like unearned arrogance. Only let down by the fact that you’re an idiot that ruins almost every thread he posts in with your inane shite.

7 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

He's been injured for all but 2 of Steve Clarke's squads, and those 2 for which he wasn't injured he was called up. In both of them he had to pull out with... an injury.

Common denominator: injury. It's nothing to do with him " barely bothering to turn up"

He’s played twice since 2016. He can’t have been injured for every squad.

48 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

Would just like to say Grant Hanley has to start for Scotland at the Euro’s - he’s perfect for the middle position of a Central 3. He’s extremely strong and quick. He’s captain a very high quality Norwich team and playing under Daniel Farke has seen a brilliant improvement in his distribution on the ball as part of a possession-based team.

Nope.  

58 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Yeah he's literally never done that once.  Idiotic shite.

52 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Yes but you also claimed to be an ex player in one of your previous personas so I’ll take that revelation about Considine with a pinch of salt.

Making no claims about Considine being a better player than Hanley. Hanley has rarely if ever looked good for Scotland though and since 2016 has rarely played and almost always drops out whenever called up. Not someone a manager should be dropping those who do turn up for if he wants the players to have any respect for him.

I’ll admit your readiness to dismiss opinions of those who disagree with your stupid opinions with complete conviction is almost impressive just for its near Trumpian like unearned arrogance. Only let down by the fact that you’re an idiot that ruins almost every thread he posts in with your inane shite.

There's a reason Considine got his first ever call-up at 33 and Hanley was playing regularly at 21.  One is a jobber who was brought in briefly to fill a gap and did okay, the other is a quality player who has been good enough to be in and around Scotland squads since he was barely out of school. 

Who cares about Considine, I expect him not to make the squad when the numbers are narrowed down to 23. My argument isn’t that he specifically needs to be picked ahead of Hanley. Just that Hanley is not very good for Scotland (in my opinion) so shouldn’t be picked ahead of those that have played a part in the recent campaign. If Hanley was an amazing player that stood out head and shoulders above the other players in his position we have as options I could certainly understand the desire to bring him in. But he doesn’t, he’s of a similar middling ability as most of the other players that can play at CB for Scotland (Besides Tierney obviously, Mctominay isn’t really a defender and is used in a role that wouldn’t suit Hanley anyway). If there’s injuries then fine by all means call him up. If not then too bad for him.

Edited by Rodhull

9 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Who cares about Considine, I expect him not to make the squad when the numbers are narrowed down to 23. My argument isn’t that he specifically needs to be picked ahead of Hanley. Just that Hanley is not very good for Scotland (in my opinion) so shouldn’t be picked ahead of those that have played a part in the recent campaign. If Hanley was an amazing player that stood out head and shoulders above the other players in his position we have as options I could certainly understand the desire to bring him in. But he doesn’t, he’s of a similar middling ability as most of the other players that can play at CB for Scotland (Besides Tierney obviously, Mctominay isn’t really a defender and is used in a role that wouldn’t suit Hanley anyway). If there’s injuries then fine by all means call him up. If not then too bad for him.

Fair enough. Willing to bet its years since you've even seen Hanley but whatever.

Quality wise he merits a place in the squad but would have to play at least a couple of times in March most likely

He’s played twice since 2016. He can’t have been injured for every squad.
Correct. That's why I only mentioned the SC era. He was mostly out of international favour roughly between 2016 (when he was well out of form and not playing regularly at club level) and 2019, when SC named him in his first squad. Injury has been his blight ever since.

There's no denying he hit a bad patch for Scotland for a few years, but a) he's showing that he's a decent defender when playing regularly, b) he and Russell Martin were the defensive core to our 2013/14 rise from the doldrums and c) SC rates him.

He's not Baresi, but he's easily comparable to the likes of McKenna.

2 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Jack Hendry looked dodgy a few years ago and now he is playing in a back three with Oostende in the upper half of the Belgian top tier

1 minute ago, ewan14 said:

Jack Hendry looked dodgy a few years ago and now he is playing in a back three with Oostende in the upper half of the Belgian top tier

Perfect example, not seen him but getting excellent reviews and has great attributes. He always had potential but was utterly written off and widely mocked on here. 

Players sometimes just need to find the right team and settle down play regularly for a bit, you can't be writing off guys when they're 22 and have played forty games in bits and pieces here and there, but fans do it all the time.

David Bates could be the next one who knows. Even without Harry 'Franz' Souttar we have a shitload of decent options at CB, especially with the 3 now.  Even someone like Findlay at Kilmarnock will be a decent option to come in here and there, and hopefully J Souttar gets fit and back to his best soon.

Ideally would like to see big McSauce back in the midfield so would like to see someone step up and solve that problem for us.

43 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Correct. That's why I only mentioned the SC era. He was mostly out of international favour roughly between 2016 (when he was well out of form and not playing regularly at club level) and 2019, when SC named him in his first squad. Injury has been his blight ever since.

There's no denying he hit a bad patch for Scotland for a few years, but a) he's showing that he's a decent defender when playing regularly, b) he and Russell Martin were the defensive core to our 2013/14 rise from the doldrums and c) SC rates him.

He's not Baresi, but he's easily comparable to the likes of McKenna.

We finished 4th in a 6 man group in the 13/14 campaign and did so again for Euro 2016 so not sure it can be described  as a rise from the doldrums?  We finished 3rd out of 5 in the 2012 campaign so it was pretty much same level of doldrums if anything.