Scotland Centre Backs

15 hours ago, craigkillie said:

McKenna and Tierney both played in the back three in the previous international break.

No, they didn't.

The previous international break was earlier this month, for which Mckenna was injured and Tierney was identified as a close contact of Armstrong.

They did, however, play in the September international break. Mckenna twice, the dreadful and unstable performances against Israel (1-1) and away to Czech Republic B, and Tierney once (that 1-1 with Israel.

Gallagher played in three games in October. Considine played in two of those, Cooper in one. 

2 hours ago, AndyDD said:

No, they didn't.

The previous international break was earlier this month, for which Mckenna was injured and Tierney was identified as a close contact of Armstrong.

They did, however, play in the September international break. Mckenna twice, the dreadful and unstable performances against Israel (1-1) and away to Czech Republic B, and Tierney once (that 1-1 with Israel.

Gallagher played in three games in October. Considine played in two of those, Cooper in one. 

I'd have thought the use of the word "previous" to mean "the one before that which you were discussing" was fairly obvious, so no idea why you chose to be deliberately obtuse.

The issues with the defence in the two September came mostly from McTominay's inexperience in the position - both goals which we conceded stemmed from his poor positioning and had nothing to do with McKenna or Tierney. The overall blame for poor performances were much more down to the attacking players than the defenders though - it's not like we conceded a ton of chances in those games.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

I'd have thought the use of the word "previous" to mean "the one before that which you were discussing" was fairly obvious, so no idea why you chose to be deliberately obtuse.

The issues with the defence in the two September came mostly from McTominay's inexperience in the position - both goals which we conceded stemmed from his poor positioning and had nothing to do with McKenna or Tierney. The overall blame for poor performances were much more down to the attacking players than the defenders though - it's not like we conceded a ton of chances in those games.

My mistake; genuinely misunderstood you.

I'm not blaming either Mckenna or Tierney for the performances, even if I felt we were clearly less robust looking defensively in those matches than the most recent three. My point was that Gallagher has clearly played this role more in recent times in the Scotland defence, and self evidently had more time (matches and training sessions) to develop relationships and familiarity with other teammates over the three October games he played in. 

Some may be of the view that Mckenna is a better player, and that the gap is significant enough to overcome the advantage Gallagher will have from his increased familiarity and relationship building. I think it's fairly clear, though,  that Gallagher will have those advantages now. 

6 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I was watching the goals from our 3 - 2

victory over the occupiers of Palestine

and their defence has improved immeasurably since that loss , against us

Edited by ewan14

1 hour ago, ewan14 said:

I was watching the goals from our 3 - 2

victory over the occupiers of Palestine

and their defence has improved immeasurably since that loss , against us

Is that the defence that has conceded six in four games in the NL, or the defence that conceded 18 in 10 in European Qualification?

For context, we got twice battered by Belgium, gubbed by Kazakhstan, and conceded six(?) to the Russians.  And that was only one more, to a total of 19 goals...  

22 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Is that the defence that has conceded six in four games in the NL, or the defence that conceded 18 in 10 in European Qualification?

For context, we got twice battered by Belgium, gubbed by Kazakhstan, and conceded six(?) to the Russians.  And that was only one more, to a total of 19 goals...  

No the defence that lost 3 - 2 to us a while ago in the group and then drew 1 - 1 with us in the semi final recently

4 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

I reckon you'd be happier supporting Celtic with pishy rhetoric like that.

What does that have to do with football?

Quite a lot tbh, given that Israel restrict players living in Palestine playing for their national team. 

Edited by gannonball

4 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

I reckon you'd be happier supporting Celtic with pishy rhetoric like that.

What does that have to do with football?

The occupiers of Palestine do not want the actual Palestinians to have their own football team

" pishy rhetoric "

A couple of young Scots centre backs featuring in the Championship tonight with Hyam starting for Coventry and McIntyre coming off the bench for Reading.

Future internationals? Maybe or maybe not but I think it's encouraging to see quite a few boys getting gametime at what it a steady level.

I beleive we've got Murray Wallace at Millwall, Clark Robertson at Rotherham and Michael Rose also at Coventry in addition to the more well known McKenna, Hanley and Lindsay.