Scotland Centre Backs

19 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Aye a 12 year old John Terry.

As it happens I'm actually quite a fan of McKenna, I think he is slated far too much and is easily our best CB.  

If only Marcelo Bielsa knew this. Could've saved him spending 20m on a Spanish international to sit on the bench watching Liam Cooper. 

8 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

What?  Are you on the glue?

If McKenna was our best CB then Biela could've signed him for 3m and stuck him in the starting XI for Leeds, as opposed to signing someone for 20m who isn't as good as Cooper (ie our actual best CB and captain of a very good EPL team, the league above that carthorse McKenna).

Edited by Marshmallo

16 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

If McKenna was our best CB then Biela could've signed him for 3m and stuck him in the starting XI for Leeds, as opposed to signing someone for 20m who isn't as good as Cooper (ie our actual best CB and captain of a very good EPL team, the league above that carthorse McKenna).

I suppose in some other parallel world, where bielsa and Leeds are under some kind of strange transfer punishment.  Where they are only allowed to sign Scottish players only. This makes sense.

In the real world, the one were in now. Your point is absolutely bizarre and a complete load of dung.

Unless the 3 at the back changes, we're really only looking at a choice between Cooper, Considine and Tierney for the left side CB role. Gallagher and Mctominay have earned their spots over the last run of games. McKenna getting game time for his club is good, but I don't think he should be displacing Gallagher. 

Cooper wasn't especially convincing in his last games, especially the one in the Czech republic, but overall he did okay. Tierney only got one game, the 1-1 with Israel, but does play this position with Arsenal quite a bit. Considine did well in both his caps. A tough call. 

4 hours ago, AndyDD said:

Unless the 3 at the back changes, we're really only looking at a choice between Cooper, Considine and Tierney for the left side CB role. Gallagher and Mctominay have earned their spots over the last run of games. McKenna getting game time for his club is good, but I don't think he should be displacing Gallagher. 

Cooper wasn't especially convincing in his last games, especially the one in the Czech republic, but overall he did okay. Tierney only got one game, the 1-1 with Israel, but does play this position with Arsenal quite a bit. Considine did well in both his caps. A tough call. 

Nah its easy, if fit Tierney and McKenna walk straight into the team.  That's just the way it is, you pick your best players. 

7 hours ago, AndyDD said:

McKenna is also a left sided CB......

The back three should be McTominay-Cooper-Tierney
Would be happy with that - an all-EPL central defence. In SC's 3 at the back system pace isn't as vital as it was with a 4. One of McKenna's strengths is his speed at chasing back so he probably naturally drops out anyway.

15 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Nah its easy, if fit Tierney and McKenna walk straight into the team.  That's just the way it is, you pick your best players

I don't think it's always so simple. You likely need to consider factors like how well the chosen players complement each other, their relationship on the park, an appropriate balance to the team, and so on. Fr example, you might have two or three great right wingers in your squad; you don't play necessarily play them all at once.

Gallagher has built some tentative relationships with other players within the system over the last games, which Mckenna has not. Ditto Tierney. 

His performances warrant consideration for continued selection, as does the performance of Considine, who should probably still lose his place to Tierney for Serbia. 

2 hours ago, stuart87 said:

McTominay-Gallagher-Tierney

I think Gallagher has deserved his place given his previous performances and Cooper is out injured just now.

I agree with this. Tierney plays in the same position for an EPL club so is a shoe in. Considine is unlucky given his debut and follow up performance but hard to include him over Tierney. McTominay has looked alright in a new role so may as well let him continue to develop in it.

Gallagher has come in and looked big, strong and solid which is better than most of our centre back options manage. I'd let him keep up his run in the side.

I've not seen enough of McKenna to suggest he's not just a big, strong centre back of Championship quality. Maybe he's better than Gallagher but not enough to displace him yet.

Cooper is probably unlucky, there is enough about him to suggest he might be our best centre back but due to a couple injuries at unfortunate times he's not been able to establish himself like Gallagher.

At least we've a few lads to discuss in the position and with this system that are taking us out of the realms of picking the least bad/bombscare options which is a real positive.

Edited by Scumjob

14 hours ago, Gordopolis said:
14 hours ago, Marshmallo said:
The back three should be McTominay-Cooper-Tierney

Would be happy with that - an all-EPL central defence. In SC's 3 at the back system pace isn't as vital as it was with a 4. One of McKenna's strengths is his speed at chasing back so he probably naturally drops out anyway.

So gordo just to clarify, your saying mckenna should sit out because he's to fast? 🤔

I'd go Gallagher, Cooper, Mckenna. Considine knocking on the door as backup.

Get Tierney on rwb, and mctominay in midfield.

So gordo just to clarify, your saying mckenna should sit out because he's to fast? [emoji848]
I'd go Gallagher, Cooper, Mckenna. Considine knocking on the door as backup.
Get Tierney on rwb, and mctominay in midfield.
Haha, not quite.
I think Cooper's a more sound, experienced and developed defender. McKenna will get there and probably surpass him at some point, but his only clear advantage over Cooper right now is his pace. In our back 3 pace isn't so much of a priority so it lends itself to picking Cooper over McKenna.

9 hours ago, dumpweed said:
I don't think McKenna should be brought in but think Clarke likes his height at the centre of defence.

I'd suggest the back 3 will be Tierney, McKenna, mctominay

Gallagher is much taller than McKenna and Cooper is about the same height as him.

Edited by craigkillie

I don't think it's always so simple. You likely need to consider factors like how well the chosen players complement each other, their relationship on the park, an appropriate balance to the team, and so on. Fr example, you might have two or three great right wingers in your squad; you don't play necessarily play them all at once.
 Gallagher has built some tentative relationships with other players within the system over the last games, which Mckenna has not. Ditto Tierney. 
His performances warrant consideration for continued selection, as does the performance of Considine, who should probably still lose his place to Tierney for Serbia. 

McKenna and Tierney both played in the back three in the previous international break.