Scotland Centre Backs

13 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Lindsay is undoubtedly twice the play Jack Hendry is, but if he isn't playing regularly at club level he won't be in the National Team squad. 

Lindsay did not get near the national squad when he was playing regularly for Barnsley in the Championship.

If he'd played for either of the Ugly Sisters (especially the green one) at youth or reserve  level, he would have walked into the squad.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

Being better than Bates and Hendry doesn't really mean much, both of them are miles off it as well and always have been, despite the protestations of the Abroad League fanatics who seemed to think an injury ravaged Bundesliga 2 Hamburg were still conquering Europe with Kevin Keegan up front.

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

If lower end of the Championship was his level he wouldn't be fourth or fifth choice for a team at exactly that level.

Yeah but they're not that level team, they're just there in the table temporarily.  Their resources and quality of squad are top end Championship, and Lindsay has already shown he is comfortable bottom half Championship, that's his level.  He's a bit better than League One.

25 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Lindsay did not get near the national squad when he was playing regularly for Barnsley in the Championship.

If he'd played for either of the Ugly Sisters (especially the green one) at youth or reserve  level, he would have walked into the squad.

I don't disagree, but in terms of the present, he's not going to get in the squad whilst he's sitting on the bench in the Championship. 

• 4 weeks later...
Souttar injured again. Dashes any chance of him being a squad consideration for a good while at least, as if playing in the Championship shouldn’t have already.

A bit like Andy Webster, he’s in danger of never quite making it as a top Defender due to injury. Let’s hope not.

A bit like Andy Webster, he’s in danger of never quite making it as a top Defender due to injury. Let’s hope not.

Not sure he was ever going to develop into a “top” defender but if it wasn’t for his injuries he wouldn’t still be kicking about Hearts, that’s for sure.

On 21/08/2020 at 22:42, craigkillie said:

Joe Baker spent his early 20s playing for Torino and Arsenal, Jack Elliott spent his playing for South Florida Surf and Bethlehem Steel.

U.S. football has improved since the early sixties

I've said it before but we've an absolute cluster of centre backs all in a similar bracket ranging from bombscare to bang average at best.

McKenna, Hanley, Souttar, Cooper, Lindsay, Devlin, Gallagher, Bates, Findlay, Mulgrew, Porteous, Kerr and so on are all on that scale somewhere.

Our best bet is just picking two and sticking with them in the hope they build a partnership, which two I'm not that fussed though picking a couple at the bang average at best end of the scale would be preferable to the known bombscares.

Alternatives would be the unknown quantities, if Caulker is interested then he's worth a go, he's got good pedigree and can't be too much worse. Last option could be trying McTominay there, he has the height and one of United's youth coaches rated him in the position. He could offer a genuine ball playing option and is a far better footballer than the other options. Not normally an advocate of moving a player out of position like that but when the alternative is Grant Hanley then why not.

41 minutes ago, Scumjob said:

I've said it before but we've an absolute cluster of centre backs all in a similar bracket ranging from bombscare to bang average at best.

McKenna, Hanley, Souttar, Cooper, Lindsay, Devlin, Gallagher, Bates, Findlay, Mulgrew, Porteous, Kerr and so on are all on that scale somewhere.

Our best bet is just picking two and sticking with them in the hope they build a partnership, which two I'm not that fussed though picking a couple at the bang average at best end of the scale would be preferable to the known bombscares.

Alternatives would be the unknown quantities, if Caulker is interested then he's worth a go, he's got good pedigree and can't be too much worse. Last option could be trying McTominay there, he has the height and one of United's youth coaches rated him in the position. He could offer a genuine ball playing option and is a far better footballer than the other options. Not normally an advocate of moving a player out of position like that but when the alternative is Grant Hanley then why not.

You forgot Kieran at left centre back

6 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

By what metric is Caulker a better player than Leeds captain Liam Cooper?

Cooper looked alright in the Championship. I fear for him a bit in the English Premier league as I don't think he's good enough to step up. Would love to be proven wrong mind.

Caulker had a good long spell as a decent quality Premier League centre back. He's not at that level now but he's got more higher level experience than any of our other options and if he can find anything like his best form then we should be considering him. He's got a physical presence without being lumbering as well.

29 minutes ago, Scumjob said:

Cooper looked alright in the Championship. I fear for him a bit in the English Premier league as I don't think he's good enough to step up. Would love to be proven wrong mind.

Caulker had a good long spell as a decent quality Premier League centre back. He's not at that level now but he's got more higher level experience than any of our other options and if he can find anything like his best form then we should be considering him. He's got a physical presence without being lumbering as well.

Thankfully we're playing Israel

Surprised to see Caulker is only 28. Had it in my head that he had been around forever and was into his 30s. Surely if he were interested in turning out for us, he would have been called up by now? People have been discussing this for a good few years.

Caulker was last spotted on these shores getting chucked around the park by Chris Kane FFS, in a Dundee side battling relegation.

This is apparently fine though, because his "head wasn't right".

Edited by RandomGuy.