Scotland Centre Backs

1 minute ago, greenockraver said:

if we can get caulker and hanley to play together then that could be a very promising partnership at the back

What have you seen from Caulker this season that would have him ahead of Leeds captain Liam Cooper in the pecking order?

13 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

What have you seen from Caulker this season that would have him ahead of Leeds captain Liam Cooper in the pecking order?

tbh it's a fair point. 

Im pretty much basing opinion on what I believe hes capable of. Watched him plenty of times down south , top player. great pedigree and when he was at dundee, even though he wasnt fully fit,  in the few games that he played on tv, you could see it was still there he just wasnt 100% up to speed. 

I think based on the empirical evidence of just how good a defender he is and with the recent move to turkey working out well for him, I think if you look at our options like gallagher , mulgrew and even mckenna an souttar (who im not convinced are 100% the finished article yet), the prospect of having a fully fit 28 year old Steven Caulker as an option cant be sniffed at.

Cooper.. you make a great point there. He looked like a bombscare the last few times he played for Scotland though, which is the only real criticism I can make of him.

Edited by greenockraver

He looked like a bombscare the last few times he played for Scotland though, which is the only real criticism I can make of him.

He only has two caps for Scotland and they were against two World Cup quarter-finalists. We aren't playing anyone approaching that quality here.

I'd suggest that anyone proposing Halkett hasn't watched Hearts at all this season - he has looked unfit and has performed better as an auxiliary centre-forward than he ever has as a defender.

On 27/02/2020 at 12:41, craigkillie said:

McLeish didn't "introduce" Mulgrew at centre-back - he played there regularly for Strachan and him and Berra were the partnership for much of the unbeaten run towards the end of the WC2018 campaign.
is proper position in the English Championship then that time probably isn't now.

Mulgrew can't even get on the bench in the Championship yet you want him in the team.

15 hours ago, craigkillie said:
16 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
Not for John Souttar by the looks of things.

He surely wouldn't have been in the squad anyway, given his atrocious form.

Laughable, he was 100% guaranteed to be in the squad as our 3rd choice CB.  One injury or suspension and he's in the team, rightly so.

What you mean by atrocious form was he looked a little off the pace in his first six games after returning from seven months out.  Shocker.  He had been excellent in their previous two after returning to full fitness.   Its a disaster for him, Hears and Scotland.

Has to be Hanley and Cooper now.

Just now, skippy2015 said:

Marshall

Robertson
Palmer
Cooper
Hanley

Mctominay
Mcgregor

Armstrong
Forrest
Fraser

Griffiths

That would make our bench not to bad either with the likes of Christie mcburnie Naismith fleck Jack McLean and Burke

I think that's pretty much the team.  If there are no more injuries that is the 11 I would expect to start against Israel. 

Its not a bad side, the midfield five is very good for a country our size.

Marshall

Robertson
Palmer
Cooper
Hanley

Mctominay
Mcgregor

Armstrong
Forrest
Fraser

Griffiths

That would make our bench not to bad either with the likes of Christie mcburnie Naismith fleck Jack McLean and Burke
Christie will play instead of Fraser and McGinn, if fit, in place of Armstrong. Simply based on the pecking order for the Cyprus/Kazakhstan double header, Naismith is probably first choice of the non-Griffiths strikers but I'm not sure where Clarke sees Griffiths in all of this.

35 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:
16 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:
McKenna done his hamstring now.

Ffs

Thank f**k for that, the boy is hopeless.

That's a horrific thing to say.  What a childish arsehole.

And McKenna has been the subject of bids from clubs at a higher level than any other Scottish CB alive currently plays at. So who are we to believe?  Aston Villa or you? Burnley or you?  I would say its you that's more likely to be full of shit.

He's not playing in that position at Southampton
He's played there many times before for Scotland, Celtic, Dundee Utd and whoever else. Just because he's our wide right now doesn't mean he's not also a centre mid. Fucking simpleton stuff.

That's a horrific thing to say.  What a childish arsehole.
And McKenna has been the subject of bids from clubs at a higher level than any other Scottish CB alive currently plays at. So who are we to believe?  Aston Villa or you? Burnley or you?  I would say its you that's more likely to be full of shit.
Me, I know better than Aston Villa or Burnley. Happy to clear that up.

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:
2 hours ago, Binos said:
He's not playing in that position at Southampton

He's played there many times before for Scotland, Celtic, Dundee Utd and whoever else. Just because he's our wide right now doesn't mean he's not also a centre mid. Fucking simpleton stuff.

I put him in a formation similar to he is deployed currently at his club

The other guy said why have you done that as he's a centre mid

No real need to explain further