Scotland Centre Backs

18 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

I suppose it is.

The proof that our squad isn’t good enough to qualify will come when we don’t qualify. Which gaffers were mentally weak?

Just because, for instance, John McGinn is playing in the Premiership doesn’t mean he’s a much better player than he was when we played Kazakhstan.

Bringing it back to this thread, I feel that our weakness at centre back for umpteen years hasn’t helped our qualification chances. Not sure if they are mentally weak, but they don’t seem particularly good at playing at international level.

Take your pick really, Levein thought we were so weak that he lined up without a striker in a crucial game, Strachan shat the bed when it mattered then actually blamed the players mentality himself, and I don't think it can be argued that McLeish was particularly strong in the mentality stakes. The closest we've come was when Walter Smith was in charge.

I think the fact John McGinn will be playing against some of the best midfielders in the world every week will make him a better player. 

Of course it's been a problem for us, my point is that other countries with lesser ability in that department have been able to qualify, that to me suggests that quality isn't our only issue, organisation and mentality must be huge parts of it.

Take your pick really, Levein thought we were so weak that he lined up without a striker in a crucial game, Strachan shat the bed when it mattered then actually blamed the players mentality himself, and I don't think it can be argued that McLeish was particularly strong in the mentality stakes. The closest we've come was when Walter Smith was in charge.

I think the fact John McGinn will be playing against some of the best midfielders in the world every week will make him a better player. 

Of course it's been a problem for us, my point is that other countries with lesser ability in that department have been able to qualify, that to me suggests that quality isn't our only issue, organisation and mentality must be huge parts of it.

I’m not sure Levein not playing a striker counts as him being mentally weak. I just took him and the likes of Strachan as the kind of managers Scotland tends to produce these days. Dour, I know best, bloody-minded, take one game at a time, give the opposition respect, more concerned about defence than attack. We’ve another one of those type of manager now.

If we’ve that type of manager, while our defence is the weaker part of the team, that probably won’t be a recipe for success. We’ll need to find better centre backs and a right back before we’ll do well again.

An al seriousnus a'd like ta see tha likes a Kerr, Lindsay, Bates, McKenna, or Soutar gettan pucked aheid a bombscare Hanley.

Ma gawd a'd prefer we calt oop Davie Weir ootta retirement!

I is spelled with an I.

Liverpool's Tom Clayton (qualifies for Scotland according to Transfermkt) is another future possibility. He could be a good loan signing for a Scottish club.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/team/academy/player/tom-clayton

"Tom Clayton is a classy centre-half who will feature for the U23s in 2019-20.

A hard working player, Tom is good on the ball and has a great personality to match.

Tom has been with the academy since U9 level.

He made his debut for the U18s in 2017-18 under the tutelage of Steven Gerrard and enjoyed an excellent campaign.

After signing his first professional contract with the Reds, Tom missed the final part of 2018-19 through injury but will be hoping to make a big impression again in 2019-20."