Scotland Centre Backs

The Scottish centre half playing at the highest level is Grant Hanley

Surely a recall for the next squad
Yeah I did a double take when I saw that he'd started and scored* Vs Liverpool last night.
If he continues to get a game at Norwich then it would be silly not to utilise him. He has the experience and is still in his 20s.

IMO when he was jettisoned a few years ago he was just the latest scapegoat. Same thing happened to Berra a few years before that when he went from first pick to being a fringe player and was in and out of squads. He too came back and proved he was actually pretty decent.

*Own goal, obvs.

Guest DAVIDB69
Yeah I did a double take when I saw that he'd started and scored* Vs Liverpool last night.
If he continues to get a game at Norwich then it would be silly not to utilise him. He has the experience and is still in his 20s.

IMO when he was jettisoned a few years ago he was just the latest scapegoat. Same thing happened to Berra a few years before that when he went from first pick to being a fringe player and was in and out of squads. He too came back and proved he was actually pretty decent.

*Own goal, obvs.

He just isn’t very good that’s a major stumbling block

Is thus a gilten age for Scottish centre backs?

McKenna

Devlin

Lindsay

Bates

Cooper

Souttar

Kerr

Hendry

Findlay

Porteous (in the future)

Morrison (in the future)

Halkett

Hanley

A'd be happy wit any of them but Lindsay and Kerr would be ma pair.

Is thus a gilten age for Scottish centre backs?
McKenna
Devlin
Lindsay
Bates
Cooper
Souttar
Kerr
Hendry
Findlay
Porteous (in the future)
Morrison (in the future)
Halkett
Hanley
A'd be happy wit any of them but Lindsay and Kerr would be ma pair.

No it’s definitely not

If he was an absolute haddie he would have been dumped by Norwich. He's flawed, but so is every Scottish CB at the moment.  
They were saying on the telly he's 3rd/4th choice CB for Norwich now. They had two injuries to other CB's so Hanley got put in.

Signs for a mediocre English Championship side to play alongside such luminaries as Liam Palmer. Fair play to him. Looking forward to Bates signing for Hibs in 18 months time.

The circle of life for a young Scottish prospect.

There's no reason we shouldn't be qualifying for our own home tournament
6 premier league players Inc one at Liverpool arsenal and man u
The Celtic contingent
And a whole bunch at upper half championship sides
Miles better than Ireland or northern ireland have had when qualifying

So 2 left backs at Liverpool and Arsenal, a defensive midfielder at Man U, the guys at Celtic who have been papped out in the Champs League qualifiers again, and a whole bunch of Championship jobbers.

It’s an absolute mystery why we never qualify.

37 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

So 2 left backs at Liverpool and Arsenal, a defensive midfielder at Man U, the guys at Celtic who have been papped out in the Champs League qualifiers again, and a whole bunch of Championship jobbers.

It’s an absolute mystery why we never qualify.

Shite like Albania and Romania can qualify with players playing at lower levels than the majority of our squad. It's a silly argument.

Shite like Albania and Romania can qualify with players playing at lower levels than the majority of our squad. It's a silly argument.

Argument? There’s no argument to have. If they were good enough to qualify they would. They don’t qualify.

The question of which of our rotten centre backs to play together is a key point on why we never qualify. That and the similar question around which sub-standard forward to play.

That said, I’ll be at Hampden for the Belgium game, to see whichever players have made it through the Russia game unscathed. Scotland...Scotland...Scotland.

Just now, Scary Bear said:

Argument? There’s no argument to have. If they were good enough to qualify they would. They don’t qualify.

The question of which of our rotten centre backs to play together is a key point on why we never qualify. That and the similar question around which sub-standard forward to play.

The Albania centre back partnership at Euro 2016 were picked from Torino and Koln. Their striker was playing for Vaduz. You listed the levels our squad play at and then sarcastically said it was a mystery as to why we hadn't qualified. I'm just pointing out that our players are playing at a higher level and have better ability than teams who are qualifying.

The Albania centre back partnership at Euro 2016 were picked from Torino and Koln. Their striker was playing for Vaduz. You listed the levels our squad play at and then sarcastically said it was a mystery as to why we hadn't qualified. I'm just pointing out that our players are playing at a higher level and have better ability than teams who are qualifying.

You’re determined to have an argument/discussion.

Explain why we don’t qualify? As this thread is about centre backs, could it be to do with the fact that ours aren’t good enough?

Do you think we’ll qualify for Euro2020?

2 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

You’re determined to have an argument/discussion.

Explain why we don’t qualify? As this thread is about centre backs, could it be to do with the fact that ours aren’t good enough?

Do you think we’ll qualify for Euro2020?

Kind of the point of these boards, no?

We don't qualify for a number of reasons, IMO. One being we've had gaffers and players who are weak mentally and cracked in the important games. I don't for one second think that our squad isn't good enough to qualify.

Yes, through the Nations League.

Kind of the point of these boards, no?

We don't qualify for a number of reasons, IMO. One being we've had gaffers and players who are weak mentally and cracked in the important games. I don't for one second think that our squad isn't good enough to qualify.

Yes, through the Nations League.

I suppose it is.

The proof that our squad isn’t good enough to qualify will come when we don’t qualify. Which gaffers were mentally weak?

Just because, for instance, John McGinn is playing in the Premiership doesn’t mean he’s a much better player than he was when we played Kazakhstan.

Bringing it back to this thread, I feel that our weakness at centre back for umpteen years hasn’t helped our qualification chances. Not sure if they are mentally weak, but they don’t seem particularly good at playing at international level.