Scotland Centre Backs

On 03/08/2018 at 22:11, craigkillie said:

Bates was generally fairly rubbish for Rangers, and was only made to look better because some of the other defenders round about him were even worse.  I don't think he'll ever get a Scotland cap - he's more likely to end up rattling around in the Scottish Championship.

Quality analysis, you really know your stuff. Not.

On 10/08/2018 at 15:47, forameus said:

Yeah, just one guy on the internet saying it, apart from the commentators at the game, and a few journalists covering it.  

But I'd definitely believe an absolutely desperate troll over them obviously.

Surprising.  Oh no actually I mean not remotely surprising.

25 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I've changed my mind on him now that an entirely impartial Raith Rovers fan reckons he played well in a German second tier match which he didn't even watch.

I've certainly changed my mind too.  A player has one bad game, and one good game, so I'm now putting every penny I have on him winning the Ballon D'Or at Christmas.

I've changed my mind on him now that an entirely impartial Raith Rovers fan reckons he played well in a German second tier match which he didn't even watch.

Glad to hear it. Nice to see my post changed the mind of a P&B doyen like yourself.

13 hours ago, craigkillie said:

You were perfectly prepared to write him off after one game in almost identical circumstances though weren't you?  It's almost as if you're an idiot

9 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

You were perfectly prepared to write him off after one game in almost identical circumstances though weren't you?  It's almost as if you're an idiot

No I didn't. I wrote him off based on his peformances in Scotland - I didn't even comment on his Hamburg debut, because I didn't see that.

19 hours ago, JamesM82 said:

Gemmill has added Bates to the under-21s, after Souttar was picked for the full squad.

Don't tell Random Guy though, as Bates is another player who is only eligible for a few more games (cf Jason Kerr).

Scott Gemmill logic. 

"Why drop Premiership regular Kerr?"

"Hes too old" 

"Oh, who you selecting then?" 

"David Bates" 

"But he's four months older?" 

"Aye but he once players for Ranjurs ken" 

At least we don't ignore talented youngsters based on who they play for. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

• 10 months later...

Forum darling and all round shithouse David Bates has been told he can leave an absolutely murder Hamburg side. The move will come as a surprise to all his fanboys who never watched him play a game in Germany, but knew he was a superstar because he was playing in the fabled 'Abroad', meaning he must be better than any Scotsman playing in the UK.

Bates was playing regularly and getting decent reports at a side fighting at the top of the second tier in Germany. Given the level our other centre backs play at it wasn’t much of a stretch to assume he’d probably be one of our better options at the time.

2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Forum darling and all round shithouse David Bates has been told he can leave an absolutely murder Hamburg side. The move will come as a surprise to all his fanboys who never watched him play a game in Germany, but knew he was a superstar because he was playing in the fabled 'Abroad', meaning he must be better than any Scotsman playing in the UK.

No he hasn't.

Wowsers, you've been saving that up for a while, eh?

All indications point to him staying in Hamburg's plans as far as I can make out. 

I'll never understand why so many folk on here get excited about putting players down and going 'Look! Told you so!' 

There is a thread about the guy because he's taken a different career path. Let's hope he makes something of his career and does well for Scotland. I think most people are aware that with young players it's always quite likely not to work out that way.

Fucking hell imagine discussing Scottish prospects in the Scotland part of the forum...