Scotland Centre Backs

11 minutes ago, woof! said:

if we play a back three McRorie should be in that list. 

For me it's still a big jump for McCrorie pity he got injured, only played a handful of games, would like him to have a big season next year to prove me wrong.

Edited by wastecoatwilly

51 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

McKenna,Hendry,Lindsay,Souttar,Cooper and Berra would be the 6 to keep in the squad going forward for me.

Agree. I'd go with Hendry, McKenna and Lindsay. 

Lindsay was in the SPL team of the year. He was a bargain at £350k, especially given what Dundee for Hendry. I was a bit surprised that Rodgers did not bid for Liam at that price. 

1 minute ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Lindsay was in the SPL team of the year. He was a bargain at £350k, especially given what Dundee for Hendry. I was a bit surprised that Rodgers did not bid for Liam at that price. 

Definitely one that got away from Celtic, i would've had him in the Scotland team when he played for the jags, i got shot down on the jags thread for his price tag should have went for at lease £800k hope the add ons make up for the low price tag.

20 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Definitely one that got away from Celtic, i would've had him in the Scotland team when he played for the jags, i got shot down on the jags thread for his price tag should have went for at lease £800k hope the add ons make up for the low price tag.

Liam did want to play in England as it would increase his chances of playing for Scotland. However, I believe that other Jags posters have said that Liam's a Celtic supporter.  If so, I doubt that he would have turned down a move to Parkhead.

There is no doubt that Barnsley got Liam cheaply. The fee should have been at least £500k, ideally £750k upwards, plus add-ons. Considering Hendry reportedly went for more than that, it's still very good value in the current market. If the Jags had held out for more, they would have got it eventually.

1 hour ago, ekfootball said:

Looking much more promising with McKenna(21) and Hendry's(22) performance last night. Liam Lindsay(22), Angus McDonald(25), Ross McCrorie(20), John Souttar(21) and Liam Cooper(26).

Surely this spells the end for Russell Martin, Christophe Berra, Charlie Mulgrew. Berra probably the best out of the 3 of these more experienced players.

And bates and Harry souttar.  Tierney too.  We have cbs coming out of our ears.  Don't rate cooper personally though.

9 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Liam did want to play in England as it would increase his chances of playing for Scotland. However, I believe that other Jags posters have said that Liam's a Celtic supporter.  If so, I doubt that he would have turned down a move to Parkhead.

There is no doubt that Barnsley got Liam cheaply. The fee should have been at least £500k, ideally £750k upwards, plus add-ons. Considering Hendry reportedly went for more than that, it's still very good value in the current market. If the Jags had held out for more, they would have got it eventually.

At the time  i wanted Celtic to buy him and send him back to thistle on loan keeping him in Scotland and helping the jags in the league,not sure going to the championship in England will help his Scotland career or make him a better player, 3 games a week with 46 games in the league no time to develop a total grind stone for any player. 

1 hour ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Pace 

2 minutes ago, woof! said:

Pace 

Yet Celtic bought Marvin Compper who is 32. He's been injured most of the time since he signed.  Is Hendry quicker than Lindsay? Liam was ahead of him at Thistle. Liam also contributed a few vital goals for us last season.

Everton bought John Stones and Mason Holgate from Barnsley after they made less than 30 senior appearances each. There have been reports of EPL clubs lining up bids for Lindsay too. He's ambitious and I'm confident that he'll progress.

Hendry has some great attributes in terms of playing with the ball at his feet, especially the whole taking the ball for a walk up to midfield. Also, his passing is a joy to behold at times; a rarity for a Scottish center half. Like McKenna he seems to have came from nowhere, couldn't even remember him at the Jags!

Few folk on here too quick to dismiss Charlie Mulgrew.    Granted, he made one huge error last night, but he's been hands down our best CH for the last two years.   He was organising Hendry and McKenna he'll tall and still quick even at 32ish.    Then there's the rare talent of being a very decent passer of the ball linking well with the midfield or further forward to pick out runs from Phillips.    If we're playing 3 at the back its Mulgrew, Tierney and 1 other for me, and that would probably be Jack Hendry.      

9 hours ago, Chimter-boys said:

Hendry has some great attributes in terms of playing with the ball at his feet, especially the whole taking the ball for a walk up to midfield. Also, his passing is a joy to behold at times; a rarity for a Scottish center half. Like McKenna he seems to have came from nowhere, couldn't even remember him at the Jags!

Hendry only played about four games before we sold him.

9 hours ago, Chimter-boys said:

Was he the lad who was touted for Everton or am I thinking of Lindsay?

Liam Lindsay turned down a move to Oxford United when Michael Appleton accepted the assistant manager's job at Leicester City.

51 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd String said:

Seemingly Thistle turned down a lesser bid from Everton to accept Wigan's 

I don't recall Everton even submitting a formal bid for Hendry.  There was reported  interest from Everton but that's all IIRC. If Wigan did bid more than Everton, the club was right to accept the higher offer. 

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Enigma said:

I really like Bates. Hamburg in a bit of a relegation battle. Either way Bundesliga 2 is probably a better move than the Championship.

Not really a battle, more of a one sided rout is it not - stuck to the bottom and 9 points off of even the relegation play off spot. Agree with you that Bundesliga 2 will be a good shout for him though, good league for a centre back as long as they can play from the back a  bit.

Edited by renton

1 hour ago, renton said:

Not really a battle, more of a one sided rout is it not - stuck to the bottom and 9 points off of even the relegation play off spot. Agree with you that Bundesliga 2 will be a good shout for him though, good league for a centre back as long as they can play from the back a  bit.

Is the problem not that Bates can't play from the back at all? I've not seen him often, but was under the impression he was somewhat agricultural in his defending.

On 13/04/2018 at 10:43, Savage Henry said:

Is the problem not that Bates can't play from the back at all? I've not seen him often, but was under the impression he was somewhat agricultural in his defending.

Yes, his biggest flaw is his ability to play out from the back or look comfortable with it at his feet.