Scotland Centre Backs

26 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Wouldn't imagine the likes of Lindsay, Souttar or McKenna are ready for the step up but at least there's a few with some promise now. Didn't seem too long ago there wasn't even that.

Why don't you think Lindsay is ready?

9 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Why don't you think Lindsay is ready?

Sorry I was more meaning the other younger  guys for that. Threw Lindsay's name in as previously mentioned in thread and i guess it's more that previous managers showed unwillingness to play anyone other than the same old experienced names at centre half. Could see them playing a Greer type ahead of someone coming through with less experience.

Hopefully the new manager changes that.

10 hours ago, Rodhull said:

Sorry I was more meaning the other younger  guys for that. Threw Lindsay's name in as previously mentioned in thread and i guess it's more that previous managers showed unwillingness to play anyone other than the same old experienced names at centre half. Could see them playing a Greer type ahead of someone coming through with less experience.

Hopefully the new manager changes that.

Strachan gave 21 year-old Grant Hanley his competitive debut and then went on to pick him in basically every single game for 3 years regardless of club form.

I'd like to see someone like Liam Cooper and Liam Lindsay together personally.

ETA: Don't know loads about Cooper, but someone just different, we need to be trying people there.

Edited by Ludo*1

Berra
garry-468533.jpg
ETA: Don't know loads about Cooper, but someone just different, we need to be trying people there.
Berras better than Cooper, who is fast becoming the centre half version of Rhodes (everyone proclaims him the best option because he never plays, once he does play folk will understand why he's left out). Seen Cooper four or five times via Leeds games and he's a complete bombscare who regularly gets caught the wrong side of a striker and resorts to hauling them back.

See Aberdeen fans frantically fawning over Scott McKenna. The boy will never play for Scotland because he's absolutely dreadful, not because he plays for Aberdeen.

9 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

This. We won't get any answers if we don't ask the questions.

Grant Hanley seems to have nailed down a regular game for Norwich, if that means anything.

David Bates suffers from being ginger and looking awkward on the ball, but he’s a very good defender. Might just end up playing for Scotland if Murty gives him a fair shot.

Liam Lindsay is the obvious first port of call for a new manager though. Madness he hasn’t at least been in a squad.

We had the Martin/Hanley partnership for a number of years and it made sense for Strachan to persist with that pairing  but he had to cut his losses after a while. Bringing Berra/Mulgrew back in worked well - Berra is no footballer but solid/experienced enough not to get bullied and rarely has a bombscare moment. Mulgrew has height and some ability on the ball but was always a stopgap.

Hopefully Lindsey turns out to be a player. Hanley might also get better over time. I would guess Berra/Hanley then eventually Hanley/Lindsey. A keeper who is confident grabbing a cross wouldn't hurt either in a team full of short arses. 

20 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Folk constantly want new shiny things to play with.

And the next guy is always going to be better than the current guy, until he becomes the current guy.  For examples, see Fletcher, Steven and Rhodes, Jordan.

Lindsay either needs to be involved, or a manager to come out and explain why not.  It's poor that we're in a position where he has to move down South just to get properly noticed, but he's there now, and seems to be doing well enough.