Irn Bru

On 10/01/2018 at 10:01, Jmothecat2 said:

Coca-cola have announced they will be raising the price of coke in response to the sugar tax. As annoying as it will be having to pay extra, that seems like the sensible way of responding to this tax.

They're also going to be reducing the quantity in the larger bottles too, which is something they've already done in the past year or so; for the same price, everyone's been paying for 1.75L instead of 2L. It'll now be 1.5L for an even higher price.

Does the New Bru have anything on the label to distinguish it from the old recipe? Curious to pick up a bottle and see if I notice the difference, but there's little point if the shops are still stocking the last of the old one.

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

They're also going to be reducing the quantity in the larger bottles too, which is something they've already done in the past year or so; for the same price, everyone's been paying for 1.75L instead of 2L. It'll now be 1.5L for an even higher price.

Does the New Bru have anything on the label to distinguish it from the old recipe? Curious to pick up a bottle and see if I notice the difference, but there's little point if the shops are still stocking the last of the old one.

I’d imagine you could tell by just looking at the sugar content. Can’t remember the exact numbers in Irn Bru but it’ll be substantially lower. 

I’d imagine you could tell by just looking at the sugar content. Can’t remember the exact numbers in Irn Bru but it’ll be substantially lower. 

Old one was 10g/100ml, new one is about 4.5g/100ml.

ETA: It does taste different, you can taste the sweeteners just like Extra and diet. Pointless really, they should have just bumped the price up.

19 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Tried the new Irn Bru.

Fucking stinking. 

It's fucking awful isn't it. Bought a can by mistake, had about two drinks and poured the rest away. Tastes pretty much like diet Irn Bru which is also awful. Also the only way I could tell was the sugar content is about half of what it was previously. 

So that's it then. Fucked it. 

4 minutes ago, thistledo said:

It's fucking awful isn't it. Bought a can by mistake, had about two drinks and poured the rest away. Tastes pretty much like diet Irn Bru which is also awful. Also the only way I could tell was the sugar content is about half of what it was previously. 

So that's it then. Fucked it. 

I honestly think it tastes worse than Diet.

If it tastes like diet then I’ll never be drinking it again. Awful stuff and I don’t want the sweeteners in it anywhere near me tbh. 

Surely if it is that bad, sales will plummet and they will eventually have to go back to the old recipe and increase the price (which I, and I think most, would be fine with)?

I drink the diet anyway so this doesn't affect me but it sounds like they've fucked up badly here. Doubt they'll continue with the change as, silly as it sounds, it's a huge part of Scottish culture and if people stop buying it then it won't be talked about.

52 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm going to do a blind tasting if I can get hold of a new one and an original. If you expect something to taste shit it probably will.

I was going to do the exact same. But I was eating a sausage and fried egg roll on Friday morning and thought "Right f**k it, it can't be that bad." I was wrong, it's the same overly fizzy experience as diet and to me tastes the same as every sweetener laden drink, fucking awful. You'll be able to tell, if you are fairly used to normal Bru it's night and day. 

10 minutes ago, thistledo said:

I was going to do the exact same. But I was eating a sausage and fried egg roll on Friday morning and thought "Right f**k it, it can't be that bad." I was wrong, it's the same overly fizzy experience as diet and to me tastes the same as every sweetener laden drink, fucking awful. You'll be able to tell, if you are fairly used to normal Bru it's night and day. 

I don’t know why that happens with fizziness as well. I always find diet drinks have a strange overly fizzy/almost frothyness when you drink them.

Thought it tasted weird the other day and upon finding out the sugar content comparison turns out I was drinking the new stuff  

Farmfoods swiftly avoided for the local Asian shop which still has the old recipe in stock. 8 cans for £3 instead of 4 litres for £1.60 but don't mind that for the real thing.

8 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I don’t know why that happens with fizziness as well. I always find diet drinks have a strange overly fizzy/almost frothyness when you drink them.

I think it might be the sweeteners, just a guess. But it's an instant giveaway that you are pretty much drinking poison. 

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I'm going to do a blind tasting if I can get hold of a new one and an original. If you expect something to taste shit it probably will.

I did wonder if Barr's would've been better advised just to change the recipe and say f**k all about it (insert Mark McGhee "is that allowed?" pic here). My brother isn't a big fan of onions but my mum has been slipping them into his food without him noticing for about 10 years, I see no reason why Barr's couldn't pull a similar trick.

I'll try a blind test and see if I can taste a difference, if I taste the difference then I'll just stop drinking it. I only have 1 can maximum a day anyway so I'm really not that arsed. I do think they could've left it as it was though and maybe brought out another Irn Bru to this less sugary recipe, thus giving the choice to the consumer.

When lucozade changed their recipe I hadn't realised it until I bought a bottle and took a sip. The difference was instantly noticeable as sweetener has a distinctive taste. Coke did a green can for a while which was part sugar part sweetener and whilst it was better than just Diet Coke, the sweetener was still noticeable. I think they reduced the sugar in Sprite a few years back as well as that tastes weird these days.

Just now, G_Man1985 said:
2 minutes ago, Rugster said:
Mon tae f**k G Man, your the one who's opinion I want most on this!

A small fear of what happens if I don't like it?

I just want to know your opinion on the new stuff as the site connoisseur. Doesn't affect me as I drink the diet stuff but I'm curious as to what you think,