Irn Bru

27 minutes ago, Adam said:

I would be amazed if any regular wine drinker could not tell the difference between a red and a white wine.  Obviously they're not, but they're almost like different textures to taste!

It depends on presentation, if you chilled a red wine you probably would find it difficult to tell the difference. However the comparison with wine by VT was a wild one as wine is aged and has lots more variations unlike soft drinks which are typically with or without sugar.

For what it's work I do believe there is a distinct difference in flavours between sugar and sweetened products, most notably in tonic water.

1 minute ago, Adam101 said:

It depends on presentation, if you chilled a red wine you probably would find it difficult to tell the difference. However the comparison with wine by VT was a wild one as wine is aged and has lots more variations unlike soft drinks which are typically with or without sugar.

For what it's work I do believe there is a distinct difference in flavours between sugar and sweetened products, most notably in tonic water.

Fair point regarding the the red wine being chilled. It would have to be a very light red wine though, beaujolais perhaps. Even then!

1 minute ago, sjc said:

Fair point regarding the the red wine being chilled. It would have to be a very light red wine though, beaujolais perhaps. Even then!

I would even think if you keep a full bodied red in the fridge you would be surprised at how light it is to drink. Obviously don't do this as it would be a shame to waste good wine.

1 minute ago, Adam101 said:

I would even think if you keep a full bodied red in the fridge you would be surprised at how light it is to drink. Obviously don't do this as it would be a shame to waste good wine.

Surely the sediment would still be prevalent? I've never had chilled red wine before tbh!

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I find chilled red wine tasteless.

White wine can also be overly chilled which spoils the taste.  That’s why serving white wine in an ice bucket is a nonsense.

Red wine tasteless? Seriously?

1 hour ago, sjc said:

No, I have grasped the factual content of your post but I also stated that I don't drink fizzy drinks often, hence I don't have distorted taste buds and this gives me confidence that I can taste the difference between coke and diet coke.

Weening yourself off sugars, salts, spices will see your natural taste buds return after a period. Most people don't do this I'd imagine.

Erm no, drinking soft drinks, or salty/spicy food does absolutely nothing to your tastebuds. As I pointed out earlier, the human mind will create any back of a fag packet reason to explain its prejudged experiences: yours just happens to be complete nonsense unsupported by either scientific facts or a primary school level of logic.

1 hour ago, Adam101 said:

It depends on presentation, if you chilled a red wine you probably would find it difficult to tell the difference. However the comparison with wine by VT was a wild one as wine is aged and has lots more variations 

And yet when blind tested the majority of 'expert' wine tasters can't even tell the difference between its fundamental categories - red or white - never mind any of the varieties within them. Only a minority of experts successfully passed the test, which is explained by a high degree of professional experience and skill that you simply do not get by just guzzling a fizzy drink every day. 

unlike soft drinks which are typically with or without sugar.

But the ones without sugar contain sweeteners that fully imitate the properties of sugar. So if the contents of any drink could be determined by taste alone, it would of course be the one with more complex and more varied forms - like wine - rather than a soft drink that has one easily masked variable. 

Edited by vikingTON

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

Erm no, drinking soft drinks, or salty/spicy food does absolutely nothing to your tastebuds. As I pointed out earlier, the human mind will create any back of a fag packet reason to explain its prejudged experiences: your's just happens to be complete nonsense unsupported by either scientific facts or a primary school level of logic.

Ah, the oracle of P&B has spoken and no medical professional, dietitian nor nutritionist can say otherwise! 🙄

4 minutes ago, sjc said:

Ah, the oracle of P&B has spoken and no medical professional, dietitian nor nutritionist can say otherwise! 🙄

No credible medical professional, dietitian nor nutritionist does say this because it has no verifiable basis in science. I'm not so much the 'oracle of P and B' as a lay person who can grasp fundamental scientific facts through the credible works of others. In the same way that I don't actually have to be an astronomer to know that the Earth revolves around the Sun. 

Thanks for playing anyway. 

No doubt a selection of catchphrases and waffle will follow, but I don’t think VT himself even believes all this nonsense about sugar and sweeteners having no taste difference. Even in a cup of coffee the taste difference between one with sugar and one with sweeteners is clear as day.

I can’t say I would notice with every brand of soft drink but as far as Irn Bru is concerned, the taste difference between new and old recipe Bru is very, very clear.

I also doubt that there’s be such clamour amongst us tight-fisted Scots to bring back the old stuff if the newer, cheaper stuff genuinely tasted the same.