Irn Bru

1 hour ago, virginton said:

If by 'my scientific knowledge' you mean 'my knowledge of an obvious scientific consensus' then sure. In the same way that you don't actually have to be an expert astronomer to know that the Earth revolves around the Sun, you also don't need to have conducted your own double-blind tests to know that people are absolute fucking morons when it comes to discerning reliable differences in taste. And needless to say that recent pages have only underlined this fact, as the gullible idiots currently scurrying around the country trying to find bottles of fizzy juice at £2 a pop can't actually agree on its worth to their truly moronic 'cause'. You hate to see it happen.

Can't all be pretentious trolling try-hards like you VT.

If by 'my scientific knowledge' you mean 'my knowledge of an obvious scientific consensus' then sure. In the same way that you don't actually have to be an expert astronomer to know that the Earth revolves around the Sun, you also don't need to have conducted your own double-blind tests to know that people are absolute fucking morons when it comes to discerning reliable differences in taste. And needless to say that recent pages have only underlined this fact, as the gullible idiots currently scurrying around the country trying to find bottles of fizzy juice at £2 a pop can't actually agree on its worth to their truly moronic 'cause'. You hate to see it happen. 
Spoiler

d6fc4b86-3c83-444a-85af-aa2959571874.jpg.a28179d1fe309a181c05d6e239f0d878.jpg

I'm certain I watched a greggy Wallace documentary (ironically) about them changing the ribena one and I could've swore they said that something like 1 in 6 of us (again, don't hold me to this) has what they simply described as 'super-taste buds'.

Basically, they got a small team of experienced super tasters and used them to get the closest match.

They were kind of hinting that the majority of people (but certainly not everyone) can't tell the difference with these tiny detailed changes.

Surely the amount of the stuff you eat or drink has to matter, though. Maybe I'm in the 1 in 6 but I started to not like irn bru after the change and it was a gradual thing, as I'd forgot the change was happening. Over the weeks I kept leaving more and more and eventually decided it didn't taste right and then remembered the change had happened.

I'm definitely going to do a wee mini taste test today. That's a great idea!

31 minutes ago, Slenderman said:

Mozza you eat mushroom suppers. 

I'm looking forward to this insult entering the common lexicon - "yer maw eats mushroom suppers" being yelled at me by an unruly ned probably wouldn't garner the reaction they'd hoped for.

4 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

They’ve been clear about that from the start though. It’s the old, old stuff.

I'm sure that I read somewhere that it was a recipe 1901 that they'd recently found.

I did my taste test with four different varieties...(diet, extra, normal (shite one), 1901).

I got the two diet ones mixed up but called both the normal one and the new sugary bad boy.

Feeling quite chuffed with myself, and quite happy to continue with the two quid stuff - even though it's not quite the same.

It'll be v interesting to see what Barr's do now. This is only a temporary bottle but they surely can't just take it away and go back to what they had. That would be financial suicide, surely? The share price lost 30% in the day this year where they announced their sales fall, so surely they'll need to put in place a long term high sugar option (hopefully the original and best).