Irn Bru

16 hours ago, cdisaaccie said:

If people can't/couldn't tell the difference between original recipe Irn Bru, Diet Irn Bru & Irn Bru Xtra then their taste buds are fecked.

All taste different from each other.

The UK food industry unwittingly managed to swap beef with horsemeat for years without anyone in the general public detecting any difference in taste whatsoever, yet people like yourself still bizarrely insist that they have the magical palate to distinguish sweeteners and sugar - despite the fact that the former have been designed and deliberately balanced by the manufacturers to have no discernible taste difference to the latter.  

The fun watch now will be seeing whether the weirdo Irn Bru fundamentalists make a humiliating climbdown when the overpriced new product hits the shelves and, err, tastes exactly the same as the current version, or whether they'll double down on their stupidity, declare another grand conspiracy and pay the even more vastly inflated prices for honking, out of date versions of 'the real thing'. 

My money is definitely on the latter.

16 minutes ago, virginton said:

The UK food industry unwittingly managed to swap beef with horsemeat for years without anyone in the general public detecting any difference in taste whatsoever, yet people like yourself still bizarrely insist that they have the magical palate to distinguish sweeteners and sugar - despite the fact that the former have been designed and deliberately balanced by the manufacturers to have no discernible taste difference to the latter.  

The fun watch now will be seeing whether the weirdo Irn Bru fundamentalists make a humiliating climbdown when the overpriced new product hits the shelves and, err, tastes exactly the same as the current version, or whether they'll double down on their stupidity, declare another grand conspiracy and pay the even more vastly inflated prices for honking, out of date versions of 'the real thing'. 

Wrong.

21 minutes ago, virginton said:

Pretty strange hill you've picked to die on, tbqhwy.

24 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Wrong.

^^^ verge of tears

28 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

There's a clear difference in taste between drinks with sweeteners and those with sugar whether it be Irn Bru, Coke or anything else. Maybe the difference fades if you've been drinking diet drinks for a while and get used to the taste but I can certainly taste sweeteners in the diet versions.

If you took part in a blind test between diet and 'full fat' drinks then you'd prove no better at telling the difference than a chimp throwing darts at different targets. I wouldn't do better, nobody would do better. Even many so-called 'expert' wine tasters can't actually tell the difference between white and red wine based on taste alone, as studies have repeatedly shown under various humiliating formats. The UK public couldn't taste the difference between horse and cow meat over many years of inaccurate labeling. The idea that sugar and a replacement formula specifically designed to imitate the taste of sugar can be detected by the sense of taste alone is utter nonsense then. The difference that you perceive is based entirely on your prejudgment that a diet drink should taste different, from which the human mind concocts a total, back of a fag packet belief that they do. 

This is really basic stuff tbh. 

Edited by vikingTON

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

^^^ verge of tears

If you took part in a blind test between diet and 'full fat' drinks then you'd prove no better at telling the difference than a chimp throwing darts at different targets. I wouldn't do better, nobody would do better. Even many so-called 'expert wine tasters can't actually tell the difference between white and red wine based on taste alone, as studies have repeatedly shown under various humiliating formats. The UK public can't taste the difference between horse and cow meat over many years of inaccurate labeling. The idea that sugar and a replacement formula specifically designed to imitate the taste of sugar can be detected by the sense of taste alone is utter nonsense then. The difference that you perceive is based entirely on your prejudgment about how a diet drink should taste different, from which the human mind concocts a total, back of a fag packet belief that they do. 

I'm not a big drinker of fizzy drinks (maybe that's the key) but I can definitely tell the difference between coke and diet coke.

9 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Barr should be shut down as a threat to public health. All Irn-Bru variants taste the same - because sweeteners and sugar both taste the same - so they're selling high-sugar content products for no reason. A disgrace, frankly. 

The government based on the consensus of scientific evidence agrees which is why a sugar tax was introduced in the first place. There's no inherent need for high sugar content in a soft drink, so people should at least pay a higher price for it to account for the health costs when they waddle into a hospital ward semi-permanently from the age of 55. 

Barr's cream soda was AFAIK exempt from the sugar tax already and remains as delicious as ever.

Edited by vikingTON

I think that I could tell the difference between Diet drinks and full sugar but I suppose it's possible I couldn't.

I had a full sugar Coke the other day for the first time in literally years and it definitely tasted better than any diet drink.  However, it makes me feel a bit ill after drinking it.  

1 minute ago, sjc said:

I'm not a big drinker of fizzy drinks (maybe that's the key) but I can definitely tell the difference between coke and diet coke.

I don't think you quite grasped the factual content of that paragraph, as your beliefs about your ability are irrelevant in the face of scientific facts. 

6 minutes ago, virginton said:

The government based on the consensus of scientific evidence agrees which is why a sugar tax was introduced in the first place. There's no inherent need for high sugar content in a soft drink, so people should at least pay a higher price for it to account for the health costs when they waddle into a hospital ward semi-permanently from the age of 55. 

Barr's cream soda was AFAIK exempt from the sugar tax already and remains as delicious as ever.

Delightful post. It has no connection to mine or your original point, but thank you anyway.

We should defer to virginton's knowledge on sugary drinks. Given the evidence shown by the photo he went running to the mods to have removed it's clear, from the nick of his teeth, he partakes more than regularly.

19 minutes ago, virginton said:

^^^ verge of tears

If you took part in a blind test between diet and 'full fat' drinks then you'd prove no better at telling the difference than a chimp throwing darts at different targets. I wouldn't do better, nobody would do better. Even many so-called 'expert' wine tasters can't actually tell the difference between white and red wine based on taste alone, as studies have repeatedly shown under various humiliating formats. The UK public couldn't taste the difference between horse and cow meat over many years of inaccurate labeling. The idea that sugar and a replacement formula specifically designed to imitate the taste of sugar can be detected by the sense of taste alone is utter nonsense then. The difference that you perceive is based entirely on your prejudgment that a diet drink should taste different, from which the human mind concocts a total, back of a fag packet belief that they do. 

I would be amazed if any regular wine drinker could not tell the difference between a red and a white wine.  Obviously they're not, but they're almost like different textures to taste!

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

I don't think you quite grasped the factual content of that paragraph, as your beliefs about your ability are irrelevant in the face of scientific facts. 

No, I have grasped the factual content of your post but I also stated that I don't drink fizzy drinks often, hence I don't have distorted taste buds and this gives me confidence that I can taste the difference between coke and diet coke.

Weening yourself off sugars, salts, spices will see your natural taste buds return after a period. Most people don't do this I'd imagine.

Just now, ICTChris said:

Why would you give up spices?

I personally wouldn't but things like chilli or pepper can distort your taste buds. I don't use a lot of salt or sugars so am quite sensitive to those tastes.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Trolls GIF