Irn Bru

7 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Even if it tastes exactly the same as usual, guaranteed there’s going to be hundreds of faux Irn-Bru grief merchanting on FB and the like.

Still would be preferable to hurl faeces at another person.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Nothing like this fuss about killing off Moray Cup for good. A wee change in recipe, aww bless.

p.s. bit slow then.

Is it actually going/gone?

Used to enjoy it when visiting relatives in Morayshire as a bairn. Glass bottle out of the Northern in Forres was enjoyable.

Would sometimes get it out of ASDA down here and then the wee bottles out of the Co-op but nowhere to be seen now.

Used to enjoy it when visiting relatives in Morayshire as a bairn. Glass bottle out of the Northern in Forres was enjoyable.
Would sometimes get it out of ASDA down here and then the wee bottles out of the Co-op but nowhere to be seen now.

Definitely saw a post from a shop owner saying they popped past Sangs whilst up in Macduff anyway and was told they'd stopped. The sudden and seemingly permanent lack of it in my local Aberdeen chip shop (that has been my old reliable source for a few years now) is of notable concern and implies that this s**t just got real.

29 minutes ago, Derek Patterson said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-41748874

They're between a rock and a hard place. While sugar is certainly less damaging to the human body than the artificial shite in the diet stuff, there is the equivalent of eight teaspoonfuls of sugar per can. That's actually shocking and needs to be addressed as a matter of urgency. I normally prefer the educational route myself, but sometimes a harder line needs to be taken...

Why is it shocking?

How long has irn bru been made? I’m still alive and a few fillings apart, I’m ok.

I did a quick Google for Mars Bars and teaspoons of sugar, just as a general comparison of things that are good. Found these. Irn Bru is at the higher end, but lots of the more enjoyable sweets have similar levels of sugar.

http://www.nhsbordersdentists.scot.nhs.uk/document_library/sugar_list.pdf

https://www.dentalhealth.org/blog/blogdetails/170

Jelly Babies have 32 teaspoons of sugar in a bag. Educational.

What happens if they just put slightly less sugar (instead of sweetener) in Irn Bru? Would it radically alter the taste?

They changed the recipe of Lucozade about a year ago and it tastes considerably worse. Replaced half the sugar with sweetener so you end up with that horrible sweetener flavour. Very disappointing that drinks manufacturers are going this way.

Is the sugar hit not the actual point of lucozade anyway?

In 20 years or so they will no doubt be replacing the sweeteners with good knows what because of the damage they have done to people.

13 hours ago, Angusfifer said:

They're between a rock and a hard place. While sugar is certainly less damaging to the human body than the artificial shite in the diet stuff, there is the equivalent of eight teaspoonfuls of sugar per can. That's actually shocking and needs to be addressed as a matter of urgency. I normally prefer the educational route myself, but sometimes a harder line needs to be taken...

You are actually way better off having the sugared can. I'm not saying eight spoonfuls is exactly an acceptable level to consume by any means but people even in this day and age, still assume that because sweeteners have little to no calories  ≈  better for you.

People just end up eating more food whether they are aware of it or not. You just have to google to see most studies pointing towards this.

It comes down to insulin secreetion. Insulin is released into the body to regualte glucose, so in this case with the sugar being brought into you system, your pancreas releases the insulin to help you absorb the glucose into your muscles. Depending on the sweetners used, it can lead to insulin being unneccessarily released because you're tricking your body into thinking it's time to secreet insulin even though there is no sugar to break down. Over time, you'll brain will notice this, and try to correct it by slowing your metabolism down and not releasing as much insulin leading in some cases stop releasing it at all leading to diabetes.

This isn't even bringing it down to the flavour with the sweetners which are rank awful, and I won't be making an effort to touch the stuff after this.

Edited by the jambo-rocker