Cowden v City

After three improved performances to play so poorly in such a crucial game was a bitter pill to swallow. Hopefully Syme has completed his penance and will be back in the starting line-up next week.Jamie to right back and McInally to midfield for me. The lack of support for our front players seems to be at the root of our problems.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, iateallthepies said:

After three improved performances to play so poorly in such a crucial game was a bitter pill to swallow. Hopefully Syme has completed his penance and will be back in the starting line-up next week.Jamie to right back and McInally to midfield for me. The lack of support for our front players seems to be at the root of our problems.

Please avoid Jamie back to right back and Rutherford back to left back at all costs. 

2 hours ago, Kierkegaard said:

We played well in the first half, and looked the more likely side - streets ahead of the last game I saw (against Elgin City at CP, when it was dire, unwatchable, headless chicken stuff.) GB deserves credit for improving the style of play and the team morale. I actually thought Fotheringham was decent yesterday, despite not being fully fit, using the ball well and bossing the players. Then we gave away two cheap goals in succession - lethal given how much was at stake. (I was disappointed that one of the best players in the squad, David Syme, was kept on the bench till the last five minutes.) What was glaringly obvious was the lack of strength further up the pitch. Cammy is talented, but he needs someone muscular to play off - a kind of Kris Renton figure who gives opposing defenders no peace.  (Can we afford such a signing - but can we afford not to have one if we are to stay in the league?) GB is an experienced campaigner who knows the  lower leagues well and will know what/who he needs.  The players are obviously playing for the manager; three or four decent signings in the window plus the return of Robbie and Malcolm are what we badly need.

3 or 4 decent signings and the extension of Malcolm’s loan til the end of the season( is that even possible?), that’s a big ask. 

Agree with this bar mcinally into midfield

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/edinburgh-city/james-mcdonaugh-salutes-edinburgh-city-s-grit-at-cowden-1-4655574

Pretty accurate summary. Diet Falkirk weren't impressive but took advantage of limited chances.

The lack of support for Muirhead in attack is worrying. Brad Smith has potential but often finds himself tangled up in Swann/Miller/Mullen's break-away positions and any move forward quickly fizzles out. I've seen Cowden half a dozen times this season and check their games every Saturday and it seems they've still not settled on a formation or solid starting 11 which is frustrating.

The team should revolve around Rumsby, Miller, Mullen & B Smith imo but there's too many passengers the now. Swann is turning in to a competent LB but every other position is nullified at the moment.

8 hours ago, Myko said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/edinburgh-city/james-mcdonaugh-salutes-edinburgh-city-s-grit-at-cowden-1-4655574

Pretty accurate summary. Diet Falkirk weren't impressive but took advantage of limited chances.

The lack of support for Muirhead in attack is worrying. Brad Smith has potential but often finds himself tangled up in Swann/Miller/Mullen's break-away positions and any move forward quickly fizzles out. I've seen Cowden half a dozen times this season and check their games every Saturday and it seems they've still not settled on a formation or solid starting 11 which is frustrating.

The team should revolve around Rumsby, Miller, Mullen & B Smith imo but there's too many passengers the now. Swann is turning in to a competent LB but every other position is nullified at the moment.

Diet Falkirk? I like that, makes for a good song:  

We're black, we're white,
We're sugar free Bairns Lite, 
Edinburgh City, Edinburgh City! 

18 hours ago, Myko said:

Agree about Brad Smith he gets on the ball in good positions but his "options" especially on saturday are so limited. 

Team should not revolve around miller and Mullen. The 2 together in midfield are as poor as you can get. Swann has had a couple of decent games at left back and is improving looks like he has more confidence too.

25 minutes ago, NELLY said:

Team should not revolve around miller and Mullen. The 2 together in midfield are as poor as you can get. Swann has had a couple of decent games at left back and is improving looks like he has more confidence too.

They're starting most weeks so kinda stuck with them ! I wouldn't say they're terrible, I've seen them threaten the opposition a few times this year and if they're in the right mood and have a bit freedom in the middle of the park they can produce. Hopefully Malcolm returns soon, and I'd like to see Connelly given a chance somewhere behind Muirhead as there's potential there. Buchanan can be important too if he screws the nut, been generally poor this year but with the right guidance he can turn it around.

On 08/01/2018 at 14:22, Myko said:

The team revolved around them on Saturday and it showed.

36 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Two or three players by Saturday?

That is what GB seemed to suggest. Whether that was what he'd like or what was likely, I'm not sure. With Malcolm (likely going by the interview) and Buchanan out for Saturday, Bollan maybe feels another midfielder is needed? 

As a neutral, I'd say a striker and a winger would probably be useful for you guys going by what I've saw in my 3 games so far this season of you guys. 

2 hours ago, dafcburty said:

That is what GB seemed to suggest. Whether that was what he'd like or what was likely, I'm not sure. With Malcolm (likely going by the interview) and Buchanan out for Saturday, Bollan maybe feels another midfielder is needed? 

As a neutral, I'd say a striker and a winger would probably be useful for you guys going by what I've saw in my 3 games so far this season of you guys. 

Two or three players is what he said. He also stated that he was happy with the performance.

I must have been at a different game.

2 hours ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Two or three players is what he said. He also stated that he was happy with the performance.

I must have been at a different game.

The worst we’ve played since he came against the lowest placed team we have played and that performance made him happy? Wow

Archived