Derry Girls

RedRob72

4 hours ago, Moonglum25 said:

Just got into it after reading about on here. Absolutely briliant.  Spotted Gerry as Father Kevin in Father Ted but did not know that Colm had also been Father Damo.

Some brilliant one liners especially " Who put 50p in the idiot"

And as I said before Granda Joe is Maisie Raine's boss.

12 hours ago, Moonglum25 said:

Just got into it after reading about on here. Absolutely briliant.  Spotted Gerry as Father Kevin in Father Ted but did not know that Colm had also been Father Damo.

Some brilliant one liners especially " Who put 50p in the idiot"

That's wrong unfortunately, two different actors. 

10 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

That's wrong unfortunately, two different actors. 

Apologies you're right, my mistake - he was the original casting choice as Father Dougal.

Joe Rooney is a stand up comedian best known for his role as Father Damo

Just now, Billy Rubin said:

Watched this for the first time the other night ( the wedding episode ) and thought it wasn't very good.   Could tell it was written by a female.  

I watched the first 3 of season 1 and it kind of reminded me of the Inbetweeners [but less amusing] in the sense that you the stereotypical characters i.e. she's the daft one who will constantly say bizarre things causing the others to roll their eyes, she's the gobby one who'll keep getting them into trouble, etc, etc.  It was alright but with so many things available to watch I can't see me going back to it.

Ian McElhinney (Granda Joe) is appearing at the Edinburgh Comic Con tomorrow on the strength of his roles in Game of Thrones, Rogue One and Krypton. £20 for an autograph or £10 if you want a selfie with him...

Watched this for the first time the other night ( the wedding episode ) and thought it wasn't very good.   Could tell it was written by a female.  

Christ. You’re allowed to not think something is good. But dearie me “could tell it was written by a female?” Moronic comment

21 hours ago, The_Judge said:

I watched the first 3 of season 1 and it kind of reminded me of the Inbetweeners [but less amusing] in the sense that you the stereotypical characters i.e. she's the daft one who will constantly say bizarre things causing the others to roll their eyes, she's the gobby one who'll keep getting them into trouble, etc, etc.  It was alright but with so many things available to watch I can't see me going back to it.

It's a female inbetweeners, in a basic form. 

I dont enjoy it as much as the inbetweeners, but that's probably because it's easier for me to relate to that. I still enjoy it though.

They need to focus a bit more on the adults, i know the show is about the group of friends but incorporating the adults has been some of the best episodes, like the wedding one, and the orange march one last series

Whenever ita a full espisode of the youngsters it isnt as good imo

Edited by 54_and_counting

19 hours ago, JockysJetpack said:

. But dearie me “could tell it was written by a female?” Moronic comment

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's a female inbetweeners, in a basic form. 

Yes, and I was right.   

I'm always right.  

------------------------------------->   Red dot.  

19 hours ago, JockysJetpack said:

Christ. You’re allowed to not think something is good. But dearie me “could tell it was written by a female?” Moronic comment

Whats the issue with that? Much like you can tell Inbetweeners was written by two guys who had similar experiences, you can tell Derry Girls was written by a woman who lived through those times.

Whats the issue with that? Much like you can tell Inbetweeners was written by two guys who had similar experiences, you can tell Derry Girls was written by a woman who lived through those times.

Well maybe it was my reading of it, but the comment reeked to me of “it isn’t funny because it was written by a woman”. Seemed to be insinuating that women writers aren’t as good. Maybe I’m wrong, and apologies if that’s the case although I don’t think I am. But I enjoy the show and there’s no point de-railing a thread about the show based on one comment, just thought it deserved to be pulled up.

They need to focus a bit more on the adults, i know the show is about the group of friends but incorporating the adults has been some of the best episodes, like the wedding one, and the orange march one last series
Whenever ita a full espisode of the youngsters it isnt as good imo
Very much this.

11 minutes ago, JockysJetpack said:

Well maybe it was my reading of it, but the comment reeked to me of “it isn’t funny because it was written by a woman”. Seemed to be insinuating that women writers aren’t as good. Maybe I’m wrong, and apologies if that’s the case although I don’t think I am. But I enjoy the show and there’s no point de-railing a thread about the show based on one comment, just thought it deserved to be pulled up.

Apologies accepted for your moronic conduct.   

On 3/25/2019 at 23:32, The OP said:

Why not?

All about the location of the toaster when not in use and distance between the eyes as explained in one of the episodes, but my first impression on that was probably off-base because having heard her natural accent in a youtube interview clip she's probably from the RoI. I thought she was probably English and doing a reasonable but far from perfect job when putting on a strong Ulster accent.

Saw the last episode of the series last night? Perhaps not as funny as previous episodes such as the wedding / funeral one, but enjoyable and quite moving  all the same. Any episode with Uncle Colm always gets a thumbs up, and who could disagree with Sister Michael's assessment of Mistletoe and Wine?

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 09:05, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Sister Michael is brilliant, but my favourite character is Uncle Colm - Granda's brother with the monotonous voice. I've met several people like him in the time. He even made the story about being held hostage by the provos dull. 

My next door neighbours could stand in for him if he's ever unavailable.