Sign in to follow this  
ThatBoyRonaldo

Raspberry Pi

Clearing out the house and found an old raspberry pi - 8gb. Got it years ago but never actually got round to using it - happy to send it on to a good home for the cost of postage if anyone on p & b would like one? Send me a PM or comment on this thread if you fancy it?

On 14/01/2019 at 18:55, Growl3th said:

Got one at Christmas. Trying to decide what to do with it.

Plex server or start the transition to a local smart home :)

7 hours ago, boulderdomb said:

Plex server or start the transition to a local smart home :)

Plex is fantastic, but I think Im right in saying that the pi doesnt transcode, which is a big downside in my opinion. 

What kind of smart home stuff can you do with it?

On 03/02/2019 at 17:29, Mr X said:

Plex is fantastic, but I think Im right in saying that the pi doesnt transcode, which is a big downside in my opinion. 

What kind of smart home stuff can you do with it?

You can use it to bridge between user interfaces and devices that they don’t support.

As an example, we’ve got a Worcester Wave boiler, which has a “smart” thermostat, but it only officially works via its own app. But it does have an API. So using a Raspberry Pi image for openHAB (https://www.openhab.org/) and a couple of scripts, I’m able to shout at my Echo “turn down the thermostat” and it does it.

openHAB also lets you add things to Apple HomeKit that it again doesn’t officially support. Or you can use its own interface as a way of consolidating all your smart devices into one control panel. 

7 minutes ago, The Master said:

You can use it to bridge between user interfaces and devices that they don’t support.

As an example, we’ve got a Worcester Wave boiler, which has a “smart” thermostat, but it only officially works via its own app. But it does have an API. So using a Raspberry Pi image for openHAB (https://www.openhab.org/) and a couple of scripts, I’m able to shout at my Echo “turn down the thermostat” and it does it.

openHAB also lets you add things to Apple HomeKit that it again doesn’t officially support. Or you can use its own interface as a way of consolidating all your smart devices into one control panel. 

Looks good, although Im not sure I have any devices that arent already compatible with Google Home, so Im not sure what benefit there would be

My wee torrent server's just died, so it occurred that buying one of these as a replacement would probably be a better idea than repurposing another old PC, considering how much more energy efficient and cheap they seem to be. Anyone done this, or use one for other purposes? Don't know much about them, but I'd have thought even something like the Raspberry Pi Zero would be powerful enough.

Obviously you still need to buy a case, power supply, and so on, but it's amazing what you can get for less than a fiver now  :blink:

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

My wee torrent server's just died, so it occurred that buying one of these as a replacement would probably be a better idea than repurposing another old PC, considering how much more energy efficient and cheap they seem to be. Anyone done this, or use one for other purposes? Don't know much about them, but I'd have thought even something like the Raspberry Pi Zero would be powerful enough.

Obviously you still need to buy a case, power supply, and so on, but it's amazing what you can get for less than a fiver now  :blink:

Not Pi related but if you're using torrents for TV shows and/or movies, take a look at Sonarr and Radarr. Once setup they will go off and download tv shows and movies automatically for you from newsgroups or torrents. I havent used Radarr (the movie one) but Sonarr works really well, it monitors for future episodes of TV shows you add

Just checking you know, the pi zero you linked doesn't have internet access built in. You'd need a micro USB to rj45 adapter or something similar.
There's a Zero W (built in wifi) which is around £10.

I bought myself a pi 4 a few weeks ago after seeing a new 4GB version on eBay for £38 (not including all the other shit you need to buy). I use it as a low power iptv watching device and just generally messing about with. I barely turn my main PC on now tbh.
It runs fairly well as long as you've got a way to keep it cool. Especially if overclocking.
Could maybe get a real debrid account again and go back libreelec.

I did go through a Retro gaming phase for the first few days after I bought it. I see retropie should have kodi and chromium built in too which seems decent. Will probably get sick of the retro games but it's good to have everything in the one place without having to change cards/dual boot.