I Predict a riot... EEP 2/1/18

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering our poor form and a CB coming in who has played hardly any games this season (and no reserve league or u20s to tick him over) and a goalkeeper signed hours before I'm fairly pleased with the result and performance. Falkirk did create some chances but overall the team doesn't seem to have a good spine and the midfield looks dreadfully slow.  

Hopefully for us we can kick on, last year we finished the season strongly and hopefully we can do so again. For Falkirk I think most people thought they would start to climb out the situation they are on especially with the appointment of a new manager but I'm not so sure. The teams above will all pick up points, there won't be a Rovers style meltdown of no wins in 20 games or whatever it was this year they can rely on to take their place. Big improvement required and it might depend on who they bring in. 

Didn't realise what a big clattering knob the Falkirk keeper made of the first goal until I watched the highlights. An utter howler that would have Jamie Langfield inhaling sharply between his teeth

Aside from goalkeeping & finishing, I thought the main difference between the two teams was Dunfermline looked like a team who have played together. Falkirk suffered from lack of communication/understanding, too many miplaced passes throughout the game. Welsh summed it up for me: there's a player in there but the legs aren't yet ready to carry out the brain's instructions. Credit to Dunfermline, they didn't look like a team lacking confidence.

As for the nasty stuff, I had as much to say about the previous incident so it's only fair to comment. There is a world of a difference between a heated, spur of the moment exchange on a football pitch and an organised & sustained campaign of harassment against an individual. Yesterday crossed so many lines. 

6 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Earns £1,000 a month as a chef!  What sort of greasy spoon joints do they have in Dunfermilne?

7 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Not that two wrongs make a right but I had been thinking about this alleged incident from the previous game given all the high and mighty stuff coming from pars fans. Was starting to wonder if racism was a lessser crime or more socially acceptable these days than mocking a disability.

(none are ok, for those in doubt)

4 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:
12 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:
Earns £1,000 a month as a chef!  What sort of greasy spoon joints do they have in Dunfermilne?

McDonalds

Surely you'd earn more than £1k a month at McDonalds?  The guy was 35 so had to be on at least the minimum wage which is £7.50 per hour, or £1,300 gross per calendar month.  How shit a chef do you have to be to earn less than the minimum wage.

Sorry, I know there is a far more important issue of racial abuse here.  Hopefully the guy gets banned from football grounds.

Shiels to score a last minute, miles offside goal with his hand. Celebrations include taking out his glass eye and throwing it on the nearest Falkirk fans face and Wedderburn doing forward rolls in front of Hipposhyte.

My last visit to this thread.

Based on what I’ve read today I have some catching up to do.

Back to the football... I thought we started with great intensity yesterday and could have been 2/3 up in the first half hour. Last 15 minutes of the first half, Falkirk got more into it and Robinson made good saves from Muirhead and Longridge to keep it 1-0 at HT.

Second half, we came out the blocks flying again and got the goal that seemed to knock the stuffing out of Falkirk a bit. Time after time in that second half, we’d commit men forward, lose the ball and Falkirk would pass the ball sideways until our players got back into position. That was weird. Robinson also made some crucial saves in the second half. As has been pointed out, quality of goalkeeper was the biggest difference between the teams. Mutch will cost you a lot of points, if he continues to play like that.

Game was fairly even, on the balance of play, but I would say we edged it. I would argue though, that we did have better chances than Falkirk and should have made it 3 at the end.

For us, I thought Robinson, M’Voto, Paton and the front 3 were very good. The big difference was that we showed good team spirit and you could see that our players stuck together as a team, to do it for Dean Shiels.

For Falkirk, I thought McGhee was probably your best player. The young left back also looked alright and Sibbald at least showed some fight, even if he didn’t create much - a lot of that was probably due to lack of quality around him, to be fair.

Muirhead and Mutch were probably the biggest threats to your own goal. I’ve never seen a keeper give the ball to opponents in dangerous positions, so many times before - and that’s before you consider his abysmal attempt at stopping Clark’s very weak strike. I think it took about 70 minutes for Falkirk to stop playing the ball in the air towards M’Voto. I also thought you should have targeted M’Voto’s defensive partner, Ashcroft more often. He picked up a silly booking early on and was caught ball-watching for Longridge’s first half chance. Our defensive weak link was there for all to see.

There is no less individual quality in Falkirk’s squad, than the likes of Dumbarton, QotS, Inverness, Morton and ourselves. However, they do not look like a team. It will be interesting to see if Hartley can solve that. He seems very self-centred though, and I’m not convinced he’s the best manager, if you’re looking for team spirit. Then again, I thought we’d crumble with M’Voto and Robinson playing yesterday, so I’m probably wrong!

Archived