Glorious Greenock Morton v A Shite Scheme in Glasgow

Cappielow is a bit of a shithole. But for home fans still one of the best places in Scotland to watch football in the shed. Or the WDE on a sunny day.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Cappielow is a bit of a shithole.

Yeah, it is.

I mean, I loved Love Street, but at it's worst it was easily a bit of a shithole and something that was draining the clubs coffers at an alarming rate. So this isn't a St Mirren/Morton thing, it's a "well that's where we are at" statement.

Ultimately as a fan you just have to accept it for what it is. Morton would be in a far better position financially if they were to redevelop, but to hold it in high regard because of the memories associated with it is holding some people back.

12 minutes ago, tonnitus said:

I think the best course of action is just for the St Mirren fans to accept that crowdwanking and stadiumwanking is terrible patter. I get that you've only beaten us once since April 2016, so don't have much else to go on about in match threads, but that doesn't mean your desperate attempts at deflection are correct.

Jesus, talk about whatabootery. Your stadium is shit, it has nothing to do with any other stadium or club. Stop acting out because people are pointing out the blindingly obvious.

23 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Cappielow is a bit of a shithole. But for home fans still one of the best places in Scotland to watch football in the shed. Or the WDE on a sunny day.

Except if the game is on BBC Alba, I'd  imagine, and they put scaffolding up to block out a large chunk of it.  Out of interest, do season ticket holders get their own seat in that section, and do they get offered a seat in the main stand if there's TV coverage?

21 minutes ago, iceblink said:

Except if the game is on BBC Alba, I'd  imagine, and they put scaffolding up to block out a large chunk of it.  Out of interest, do season ticket holders get their own seat in that section, and do they get offered a seat in the main stand if there's TV coverage?

The entire shed area and Sinclair Street end are considered terracing and as such no reserved seating. So no.

Also the redevelopment idea is very nice and that but it's also a total non starter. No supermarket deal, no local development from Riverside. So no money. 

Just now, GiGi said:

Also the redevelopment idea is very nice and that but it's also a total non starter. No supermarket deal, no local development from Riverside. So no money. 

I can understand the Morton fans when they get annoyed at St Mirren for saying redevelopment/new ground is the way forward. While it most certainly is, it's also entirely correct that we somehow managed to convince Tesco to build us a new stadium for the land they never ended up using. It was as good as a gift from them. I don't think any stadium redevelopment or new ground has had such a fortuitous timeline than ours did.

Agree, cappielow is not the best for visiting fans. As mentioned before get put a roof on the WDE and you have a decent stand. We have a chairman moaning that we don’t bring enough friends to the home end but we are encouraging away fans not to come due to having facilities suited to the 80’s. The board needs to look at this and address it. They had a decent crowd down and cant help think a few hundred more would have been there if we catered for them. Would we put up with this at visiting grounds?

17 hours ago, Norrie82 said:

Morton football clubs stadium and facilities are absolutely shocking.  I mean your stadium has not changed and the lack of a cover at the away end is ridiculous. You also say you.have a good support but struggle to get 2000 at a home game.  We may have a modern shoe box and excellent hospitality facilities and our very own training ground but hey I wish we had a stadium like yours? Cmon lads get real. Any player looking at that Park wouldn't want to sign if they had an offer from saints. We know what we are we are a well run club that has a history of winning the occasional cup and being predominantly a premier league team. You are a small town team who will be happy playing away in the championship.  

When was the last time a Morton fan claimed we have a good support?

Pretty much every Morton fan accepts that our crowds are pish now and are down considerably from say 10-12 years ago when we were averaging 2500-3k in the 3rd/2nd division.

Even when we are doing fairly well like last year and in 2012-13 we are lucky to get 2000 and this year our home crowds are down a few hundred from last year.

I  fully accept that you, Falkirk, Dunfermline are bigger clubs with bigger fans bases. We have had the potential to be in the mix in the past but for a variety of reasons, we have went backwards and it will take some drastic changes to get back up to a respectable average figure again. Still believe the support is there and if we were in a similar situation to you guys where the board and fan base were fully united and the team was doing well on the park,  they would come back.  

I was actually surprised we had 2350 there on Tues what with it being on the TV, some people working etc. Our crowd was only 1500 the previous game against ICT. 

Oliver was lucky not to have seen red.
Jai's was a booking, if anything.
Harkins didn't touch Baird. Why did Baird grab his right leg when he went down? It should have been his left. 
Thomson's  "dive" should've been a penalty.
Baird's arm was away from his body and McHugh's was a definite penalty.

Harkin’s never touched Baird

I know you constantly talk shite on here but that’s new level shite

It was a terrible tackle from Harkins

As Dunning pointed out, this argument about Cappielow pops up aw the time. Look, at the end of the day, for us Morton fans, we have the best view in the whole stadium and we have terracing, you just can't beat that, f**k sitting on yer arse the whole game. The Cowshed is absolutely superb, it may not be 5* facilities but it's roofed and perfectly fine. The main stand is indeed stinking tho, honking leg room being the main issue so I can see where away fans are coming from, it's shite for them if they have a big away support and it's pissing from the heavens, a roof behind the goal would be spot on as the view is cracking but it is what it is.

End of the day, if I was asked to vote on having a brand new spanking shoebox stadium or keeping Cappielow the way it is, I wouldn't even have to think twice about my decision and I'm pretty certain most Morton fans would be the same.

10 minutes ago, M0rtonfc said:

End of the day, if I was asked to vote on having a brand new spanking shoebox stadium or keeping Cappielow the way it is, I wouldn't even have to think twice about my decision and I'm pretty certain most Morton fans would be the same.

But at what cost? What if the new stadium brought more success on the pitch? What if the improved facilities helped to attract better players? What if young Greenock boys such as future Lewis Morgans started aspiring to play for you because you're a well-sorted, ambitious club that offers decent facilities and a clean stadium for their mams to sit in in comfort when they make their first team debuts? What if the new ground stopped being an unnecessary drain on resources, just on maintenance and upkeep? What if it offered new energy to the club by bringing all the fans back who have deserted over the years? What if it improved non-match-day revenue for the club?

If Ton fans were offered all that, and still voted to keep Cappielow, then they get precisely the amount of success they deserve, tbh.

23 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

But at what cost? What if the new stadium brought more success on the pitch? What if the improved facilities helped to attract better players? What if young Greenock boys such as future Lewis Morgans started aspiring to play for you because you're a well-sorted, ambitious club that offers decent facilities and a clean stadium for their mams to sit in in comfort when they make their first team debuts? What if the new ground stopped being an unnecessary drain on resources, just on maintenance and upkeep? What if it offered new energy to the club by bringing all the fans back who have deserted over the years? What if it improved non-match-day revenue for the club?

If Ton fans were offered all that, and still voted to keep Cappielow, then they get precisely the amount of success they deserve, tbh.

As I say,  I would hate the day that I'm sitting on a plastic seat in a stand every home game, it's bad enough having to do it at away games, terracing is where it's at, we already have a seated stand, albeit it has it's faults but it's not the end of the world choosing to sit there for 90 mins if needs be! Your making points that having a shoebox stadium is a possibility for the club being more successful, how's that worked out for the rest of the clubs stuck in our division and below?

9 minutes ago, M0rtonfc said:

As I say, at the end of the day I would hate the day that I'm sitting on a plastic seat in a stand every home game, it's bad enough having to do it at away games, terracing is where it's at, we already have a seated stand, albeit it has it's faults but it's not the end of the world choosing to sit there for 90 mins if needs be! Your making points that having a shoebox stadium is a possibility for the club being more successful, how's that worked out for the rest of the clubs stuck in our division and below?

You are correct that it hasn't worked out for every club, no doubt.

None of us wanted to leave Love Street and it's open air toilets behind but leave it we did and we're a better club for it. It allowed us to clear our debt, invest in the stadium facilities and more importantly invest in our academy. If Morgan goes shortly that will be near enough a million quid we've made in academy graduates in just 12 months. Who's to say we'd have done that with no proper academy in place? 

If McGinn goes to West Ham that could be anywhere between £1m to £2m as well. Next up will be Magennis. 

I completely get what Morton fans are saying but love street was holding us back and it's sale has ensured we will have a club to own and support for years to come. Surely that's more important than concrete terraces or plastic seats?

4 minutes ago, Silvio said:

None of us wanted to leave Love Street and it's open air toilets behind but leave it we did and we're a better club for it. It allowed us to clear our debt, invest in the stadium facilities and more importantly invest in our academy. If Morgan goes shortly that will be near enough a million quid we've made in academy graduates in just 12 months. Who's to say we'd have done that with no proper academy in place? 

If McGinn goes to West Ham that could be anywhere between £1m to £2m as well. Next up will be Magennis. 

I completely get what Morton fans are saying but love street was holding us back and it's sale has ensured we will have a club to own and support for years to come. Surely that's more important than concrete terraces or plastic seats?

Its a different situation though.  IIRC, you pretty much got your new stadium for free what with Tesco buying the land which love street resided on.

That also allowed you to clear your debt and you were left debt free with a stadium which could generate income away from Match days,

We don't have a Supermarket chain offering such a deal which means it would be much more costly to either completely revamp Cappielow or move to a new stadium.

Something will need to give eventually as its 138 years old, but for the short to medium term, Cappielow in its current state will be our home and most fans will be happy with that, even if the BOD aren't.

Cappielow might well be holding Morton back but there is no money for stadium redevelopment or new stadium, and no site to build a new ground on even if there was.

18 minutes ago, Silvio said:

That's fair do's that the sale of Love Street did indeed help your club but as pointed out that's not the case with a lot of other clubs who now have a large seated stadium with low crowds and a shit load of debt. We are doing just fine with what we have at the moment, we already have a decent youth set up and more than good enough training facilities without having cash handed to us. I just don't buy into this "sell your land and build a new stadium will help in the long run" stuff, it's different for different clubs, for a fact it made sense for St Mirren to do it when they had the chance, Tesco freebie and SPL football being a major factor in that. If we went up I wouldn't be surprised to see us making upgrades to the stadium but as things stand, there is absolutely no need for such things.

13 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Cappielow might well be holding Morton back but there is no money for stadium redevelopment or new stadium, and no site to build a new ground on even if there was.

Only realistic place would be the IBM site but that would probably cost a fortune and take the ground to the opposite end of the town. If someone was willing so spend millions it could well be turned into a stadium and a training ground along with offices etc. 

1 minute ago, Scosha said:

Only realistic place would be the IBM site but that would probably cost a fortune and take the ground to the opposite end of the town. If someone was willing so spend millions it could well be turned into a stadium and a training ground along with offices etc. 

IBM would be murder. Cappielow as it is is easily accessible and within spitting distance of the town centre and pubs. A move so far out the road would kill crowds more than anything else.

6 minutes ago, GiGi said:

IBM would be murder. Cappielow as it is is easily accessible and within spitting distance of the town centre and pubs. A move so far out the road would kill crowds more than anything else.

Yeah, I should have said that when mentioning the ground moving across the town. There really is nowhere. 

There is serious issues at hand if fans need to avoid standing in ankle deep puddles in any stand at any football ground. The stairs are crumbling, it was somehow managing to flood the other day...work that one out. I'm not just saying this because its you guys, I'd be saying the same if it was any other team.

As a home fan with the nice terracing behind the goals and the cowshed yeah I can see why you guys love that stadium but as an away fan it's rotten. 

Archived