Proof that Scottish football is dreadful..

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an "outsider" so to speak (born and raised Canadian) I watch Scottish Football because I find it much more interesting and entertaining.  Sure the EPL teams may have technically better players but I just find Scottish football more enjoyable to watch partially because money hasn't really ruined the game.  I know I know I cheer for Celtic (because when I first got into football Celtic had Henrik Larsson) but I'll watch St. Mirren vs Dundee United over Chelsea vs. Stoke any day.  

Case in point was that one of the most entertaining games I watched last season was Dundee United vs. Hibs at Tannadice where Jason Cummings was sent off for trying to "hand of god" a goal

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Been to numerous games down there at Villa Park, Hawthorns, St Andrews, Molineux etc midweek when down with work and vast majority were utter sh1te.

Best one I saw was a Brum-Wolves game and Garry O'Connor was the best player on the park.  

Garry O'Connor:lol:

Garry O'Connor[emoji38]
I genuinely think O'Connor was the one that got away you know. Fast (once), strong, good touch, good positioning, great in the air, could finish from a variety of angles - too much of a ned to make it work, and appallingly advised in his move to Russia.

I remember a game at RP in particular, during O'Connor's second (I think) spell at Hibs, where he was conclusively overweight but still in the game by dint of sheer talent alone. Anyhow an outside right boot finish into the roof of the net - the moment of the game...Kilmarnock won 4-1, but it was a flash of absolute quality - a sign of what could have been...

I watch English football and enjoy it, but it's a league heavily based on marketing.

Is it the best? The UEFA coefficient would tell you that's Spain by a long way.

The most exciting? The league is over already, and aside from the Leicester miracle it's one from the Manchester clubs or Chelsea.

Best atmosphere? Germany and Italy way ahead in that regard.

Patter? Scotland might be the patter country of UEFA, though Italy more than hold their own.

Best teams? Possibly City this season, but in recent years Barça, Madrid, Atletico, Bayern, Juventus all clearly ahead.

Best players? Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar are generally considered today's superstars and they're not in England.

I'll happily sit and watch Super Sunday and the likes, but this obsession with declaring the Premier League as the best in world baffles me.

Do they do the same in Spain, Italy and Germany? Maybe they do, but I don't understand why folk can't just watch whatever fitba they without having to slag off other Leagues 

21 hours ago, johnnydun said:

I went to a Fulham v Derby game about 15 years ago and it was still shite back then, 0-0 was the score. I sat in the "away" section or as they called it, the Neutral end. Really shite atmosphere filled with tourists who didnt even know the rules. 

Every time I hear that I'm violently sick in my mouth.

I was recently  in Rome and turned on the TV to find Sky Sports Italy . My very limited Italian enabled me to discern that they believe that serie A is the best league in Europe with all the pizzazz that we recognise here. I think that this is Sky’s modus operandi throughout Europe tbh I don’t think the natives of any country would be pleased if they said another league was better , more exciting etc ,why would they pay there subscriptions ? 

Mr Murdoch is many things but promotion is his forte , if you’re fooled by it you have only yourself to blame 

In the toilet at my work, there are four cubicles along the longest wall. As you look at them, the sinks are on your left, closest to trap 1 (The larger disabled trap) and the urinals are on your right, beside trap 4.
Which is the correct trap to shite in given a full compliment of empties?

Jobby marathon.
Shit, Nip, move and so on ....
Let us know how it turns out for you, actually better not.

9 hours ago, killiefan27 said:

Best atmosphere? Germany and Italy way ahead in that regard.

Italy? Where games are generally played in half-empty stadiums with athletics tracks. Where attendances are on the slide and the supporters' experience is getting worse. I'd take the Swiss or even Danish leagues for atmosphere over the Italian, let alone the English.

Just now, jagfox99 said:

St Mirren vs Yinited was dull at times but was still better than Cardiff vs Preston. 

I had to laugh at Derek Johnstone previewing that match last night, he basically said that Saints would need to play well to get anything out of the game, how the f**k does he work that out, they were 2 points clear of their opponents and had home advantage.

Just now, ayrmad said:

I had to laugh at Derek Johnstone previewing that match last night, he basically said that Saints would need to play well to get anything out of the game, how the f**k does he work that out, they were 2 points clear of their opponents and had home advantage.

He’s a stupid fat ***. The fact he’s still has work in the MSM IS a dreadful thing about Scottish Football.

Italy? Where games are generally played in half-empty stadiums with athletics tracks. Where attendances are on the slide and the supporters' experience is getting worse. I'd take the Swiss or even Danish leagues for atmosphere over the Italian, let alone the English.
This, most stadiums look like absolute shacks these days, and the San Siro isnt even full for derbies.

Are Italian teams, in general, not on the up though? Juve obviously leading the way but I'm sure a few more are building new grounds and in general regrouping for them huge dip they've been in.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Are Italian teams, in general, not on the up though? Juve obviously leading the way but I'm sure a few more are building new grounds and in general regrouping for them huge dip they've been in.

There's probably someone better placed to answer this, but quite a few do seem to realise something needs to be done and progress is being made. The stadia are dreadful, but there's more to it than that. When you have supporters clubs extorting the teams they claim to be fans of then you realise how far they have to go.

40 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Get more atmosphere in a half-full game in Italy than you do at a sold-out Old Trafford.

Attendances are up in Serie A, I believe, and you're there are plenty of games where you're guaranteed a cracking atmosphere.

Milan derby, Turin derby, Genoa derby, Rome derby, Verona derby, Juve against any of the other big teams...

2 minutes ago, killiefan27 said:

Get more atmosphere in a half-full game in Italy than you do at a sold-out Old Trafford.

Attendances are up in Serie A, I believe, and you're there are plenty of games where you're guaranteed a cracking atmosphere.

Milan derby, Turin derby, Genoa derby, Rome derby, Verona derby, Juve against any of the other big teams...

The last three seasons have been three of the five worst attended in Serie A since 1970. Of course there are games with good atmospheres, but as you've pointed out they're the minority. Highlighting Italy as a league with great atmospheres is a most curious choice.

With the exception of the year of the financial crisis - which coincided with the referee fixing scandal, demotion of Juventus, and widespread closure of stadiums due to violence and murders - Italian football has never seen such poor attendances as recent years since the mid-1960s, although they're up so far this season.

Upon an average weekend 2.1% of the Scottish population will be at an SPFL game, while only 0.6% of Italy's populace will watch a game above their amateur levels.

Italy should be asking us how we've got it so right.

Archived