(Dumbar)Ton Vs. (Mor)Ton - 30/12/2017

2 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

I'm not being defensive mate but I do get fed up sometimes with some of the exaggerated crap talked about the stand. Sure, a couple of extra inches would be nice - as with many other things in life -  but my son and son-in-law are both at least your height and don't have any problem with sitting in the stand for 90 minutes. The only time it's maybe an issue is when some porker wants to get past and you get slightly more up close and personal than you might want, but that only lasts a couple of seconds.

As for your "not fit for purpose" comment, if that were the case it would be denied a safety certificate. Nobody is saying it's ideal, of course it isn't,  but it's adequate for watching a football match. The way some go on about it you'd think attending a single match there caused them permanent physical damage. Bring enough fans and you'll get plenty of space out with the stand, either on the WDE or (maybe) in the cowshed.

I agree. Plus there are plenty “end of row” seats for taller folk to sit in at an angle or with one leg on the stair so the other has more space.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

Do morton still open up part of the cowshed to away fans? I'd seen the introduction of it at the start of the season but then some other team wrecked the barriers/banners.

Last match I paid into the Home end, no colours on obviously, as much as I prefer being with Sons support that Main Stand is f@#king dire.

I'd do the same again tbh.

On 12/31/2017 at 16:57, DumbartonTheSons said:

What I love is that you're taking the moral high ground here, as per usual, but your club continually fail to cater for opposing fans. And that certainly isn't an 'unstoppable Act of God' as you say, which inclement weather conditions are considered to be by, you know, sane, rational people.

Bring on the usual 'thanks for playing', 'champ' etc etc, yawn.

I don't recall declaring myself an ambassador for GMFC champ. Morton fans have in fact far more causes for complaint about the club and its current matchday experience than the parade of worthless gripes produced by your lot on a regular basis about being placed in a perfectly fine stand. None of that changes the relevant fact to this thread though: that Morton as a club are professional and competent enough to fulfill its match fixtures by having a playable pitch; Dumbarton, Livingston, etc. quite clearly are not.  

Re the post that vt quotes above, the guy has had 3 days now to explain how Morton allegedly "continually fail to cater for opposition fans". Apart from someone  else coming back with "legroom", which is the same for home fans, there's been no reply.

Case closed then.

On 12/30/2017 at 20:06, Dumbarton Rock said:

Had this out with a guy on twitter who still hasn't answered my question.

Game on Sat 23rd, park churned up quite a bit. The two part time groundsman stayed back until the lights went off to work on it.

Xmas Eve the boys are back working on it.

Xmas Day I'm forking puddles off it.

7am until KO on Boxing Day we are working on it to get the game on knowing the pitch will take a pounding.

Can't work on it after the game as it is that soft.

Frost that night means come Wednesday our hands are tied.

Thursday afternoon about 3pm the temp rises enough for us to give it a wee roll even though it was still mega firm, just basically gave us a fighting chance for Saturday.

Friday am more frost and the decision for a Sat 9am pitch inspection discussed as it was looking like a non starter.

Pitch inspection changed to 2pm that day both managers in agreement.

Game called off which was the 100% right decision. 

Don't normally do this but only back a week and pissed off already with the so called experts on here.

Happy New Year guys.

None of this whataboutery about frost actually explains why your pitch was waterlogged at 3pm on Saturday though. That happened because your club let an entirely forecasted snowfall settle on the pitch and didn't bother to clear it up because it felt that the game would be called off anyway. The pitch conditions changed entirely in the 25 hours between a ridiculously early inspection and the scheduled match time - any competent football club at this level would have had a playable pitch by the Saturday afternoon. 

You seem obsessed by the snow. There was hardly a bit of snow on it. The problem was the hard frost that stopped the surface water from going anywhere. If you see your manager ask him what he thought and when he wanted the pitch inspection done before throwing out uneducated accusations.

50 minutes ago, virginton said:

None of this whataboutery about frost actually explains why your pitch was waterlogged at 3pm on Saturday though. That happened because your club let an entirely forecasted snowfall settle on the pitch and didn't bother to clear it up because it felt that the game would be called off anyway. The pitch conditions changed entirely in the 25 hours between a ridiculously early inspection and the scheduled match time - any competent football club at this level would have had a playable pitch by the Saturday afternoon. 

Jee-sus, spider-wanking or what ??

6 hours ago, Dumbarton Rock said:

You seem obsessed by the snow. There was hardly a bit of snow on it. The problem was the hard frost that stopped the surface water from going anywhere. If you see your manager ask him what he thought and when he wanted the pitch inspection done before throwing out uneducated accusations.

Why would I care about what Jim Duffy thought about your unplayable joke of a pitch the day before kick-off? Oh that's right, I don't. 

I don't recall declaring myself an ambassador for GMFC champ. Morton fans have in fact far more causes for complaint about the club and its current matchday experience than the parade of worthless gripes produced by your lot on a regular basis about being placed in a perfectly fine stand. None of that changes the relevant fact to this thread though: that Morton as a club are professional and competent enough to fulfill its match fixtures by having a playable pitch; Dumbarton, Livingston, etc. quite clearly are not.  

I don't recall you declaring yourself an ambassador either 'champ', nor did I suggest you were one. What an odd start to a reply.

Anyway, how many complaints Morton fans have about the match day experience matters not a jot, neither does it render opposition gripes 'worthless'. But you knew this, so I'm not unsurprised.

Morton may well be competent enough to fulfil its 'match fixtures' (whatever that is) and if your ground has never fallen foul of the weather in your however-many-year existence then I applaud you.

I highly doubt that's the case though, so your frankly unimaginative dig at ourselves and Livi for having matches fall foul of the weather, just demonstrates your continual dislike for Livingston at any turn which is repetitive at best, and just makes you sound like a child who's thrown his toys out of the pram.

Re the post that vt quotes above, the guy has had 3 days now to explain how Morton allegedly "continually fail to cater for opposition fans". Apart from someone  else coming back with "legroom", which is the same for home fans, there's been no reply.
Case closed then.

Apologies for having a life and not replied to you within 3 days. I really must do better.

But yes, a lack of adequate legroom for even a person of average height is continually failing to cater for opposition as is, and has already been said, running water to the toilets.

But don't let those things get in the way of your bravado, trying to close arguments because you don't like them and giving us all your best impersonation of Judge Rinder.

14 hours ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

Apologies for having a life and not replied to you within 3 days. I really must do better.

But yes, a lack of adequate legroom for even a person of average height is continually failing to cater for opposition as is, and has already been said, running water to the toilets.

But don't let those things get in the way of your bravado, trying to close arguments because you don't like them and giving us all your best impersonation of Judge Rinder.

ooh, touchy - was the New Year hangover kicking in?

"A lack of adequate legroom for even a person of average height" is arrant nonsense and typical of the exaggeration I mentioned earlier. And the legroom's the same for the home fans so any implied discrimination against away fans doesn't bear scrutiny.

As for any lack of running water in the away end toilets, as far as I'm aware that  was a short term issue sorted long ago.  Made me laugh when I read it tho as I can well remember the two or three battered, fetid, smelly Portaloos at Boghead that were expected to meet the needs of the away support. Maybe people who lived with crass (shite)houses shouldn't throw stones.......

As far as "bravado" goes, wrong word entirely. I pointed out that you hadn't provided any response to back up your statement, and you still haven't come up with anything credible. Not gonna comment on the Judge Rinder remark as I've never clapped eyes on the geezer, except to say I doubt it hits the mark any more than the rest of your posts that I've addressed.

3 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

ooh, touchy - was the New Year hangover kicking in?

"A lack of adequate legroom for even a person of average height" is arrant nonsense and typical of the exaggeration I mentioned earlier. And the legroom's the same for the home fans so any implied discrimination against away fans doesn't bear scrutiny.

As for any lack of running water in the away end toilets, as far as I'm aware that  was a short term issue sorted long ago.  Made me laugh when I read it tho as I can well remember the two or three battered, fetid, smelly Portaloos at Boghead that were expected to meet the needs of the away support. Maybe people who lived with crass (shite)houses shouldn't throw stones.......

As far as "bravado" goes, wrong word entirely. I pointed out that you hadn't provided any response to back up your statement, and you still haven't come up with anything credible. Not gonna comment on the Judge Rinder remark as I've never clapped eyes on the geezer, except to say I doubt it hits the mark any more than the rest of your posts that I've addressed.

I'm not sure referring to a ground that was demolished at the turn of the millennium is the best way to win this argument.

18 hours ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

Morton may well be competent enough to fulfil its 'match fixtures' (whatever that is) and if your ground has never fallen foul of the weather in your however-many-year existence then I applaud you.

No need to applaud me: you should applaud the excellent groundsman and staff that a competent and professional club employs to stop their pitch from being an unplayable mess on a Saturday afternoon. 

50 minutes ago, virginton said:

No need to applaud me

For once I'm in complete agreement with you - I know you're trolling as usual but you've spouted enough pish on this subject to flood the bloody pitch all over again.

The professionals declared it unplayable. They were there, you weren't. Give it a rest.

Archived