(Dumbar)Ton Vs. (Mor)Ton - 30/12/2017

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

I love the idea that it is now somehow acceptable in Scotland for a professional football club to:

i) let a sea-level pitch get covered with a predicted snowfall

ii) let the snow predictably thaw out on the pitch and

iii) proceed to have a predictably waterlogged (and evidently unplayable) surface by 3pm on a Saturday

While gormless fans like the above act as if the match being postponed was an unstoppable Act of God, rather than the product of a rolling cascade of incompetence by Dumbarton Football Club. 

Invest in some pitch covers, brushes and/or proper drainage, you gubbins failures. 

Had this out with a guy on twitter who still hasn't answered my question.

Game on Sat 23rd, park churned up quite a bit. The two part time groundsman stayed back until the lights went off to work on it.

Xmas Eve the boys are back working on it.

Xmas Day I'm forking puddles off it.

7am until KO on Boxing Day we are working on it to get the game on knowing the pitch will take a pounding.

Can't work on it after the game as it is that soft.

Frost that night means come Wednesday our hands are tied.

Thursday afternoon about 3pm the temp rises enough for us to give it a wee roll even though it was still mega firm, just basically gave us a fighting chance for Saturday.

Friday am more frost and the decision for a Sat 9am pitch inspection discussed as it was looking like a non starter.

Pitch inspection changed to 2pm that day both managers in agreement.

Game called off which was the 100% right decision. 

Don't normally do this but only back a week and pissed off already with the so called experts on here.

Happy New Year guys.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Dumbarton Rock said:

Had this out with a guy on twitter who still hasn't answered my question.

Game on Sat 23rd, park churned up quite a bit. The two part time groundsman stayed back until the lights went off to work on it.

Xmas Eve the boys are back working on it.

Xmas Day I'm forking puddles off it.

7am until KO on Boxing Day we are working on it to get the game on knowing the pitch will take a pounding.

Can't work on it after the game as it is that soft.

Frost that night means come Wednesday our hands are tied.

Thursday afternoon about 3pm the temp rises enough for us to give it a wee roll even though it was still mega firm, just basically gave us a fighting chance for Saturday.

Friday am more frost and the decision for a Sat 9am pitch inspection discussed as it was looking like a non starter.

Pitch inspection changed to 2pm that day both managers in agreement.

Game called off which was the 100% right decision. 

Don't normally do this but only back a week and pissed off already with the so called experts on here.

Happy New Year guys.

Just for my own reference can you guys let me know when I should have put the covers down in this timescale. Many thanks for your input.

12 minutes ago, Dumbarton Rock said:

Just for my own reference can you guys let me know when I should have put the covers down in this timescale. Many thanks for your input.

I'd like to have seen it go down after approximately 51 minutes on Tuesday personally ;)

I love the idea that it is now somehow acceptable in Scotland for a professional football club to:
iii) proceed to have a predictably waterlogged (and evidently unplayable) surface by 3pm on a Saturday
While gormless fans like the above act as if the match being postponed was an unstoppable Act of God, rather than the product of a rolling cascade of incompetence by Dumbarton Football Club. 
Invest in some pitch covers, brushes and/or proper drainage, you gubbins failures. 

I know I shouldn't but . . .you seem to think the club could stop the pitch being covered by a snowfall. How exactly?

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Hilarious that a club who struggled to get running water to their toilets are calling us a tinpot club. 

There's plenty of running water in the away toilets at least. Runs all over your shoes.

What I love is that you're taking the moral high ground here, as per usual, but your club continually fail to cater for opposing fans. And that certainly isn't an 'unstoppable Act of God' as you say, which inclement weather conditions are considered to be by, you know, sane, rational people.

Bring on the usual 'thanks for playing', 'champ' etc etc, yawn.

On 12/30/2017 at 19:28, Dumbarton Rock said:

20171230_091106.jpg That was at 9am just when the original pitch inspection was due. It was still solid in places under the water. If any of you experts have a problem with the decision have a word with Mr Duffy as he was on the pitch an hour before it got called off. Give it a rest.

f**k-all wrong with that. Game should have been played.

17 hours ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

your club continually fail to cater for opposing fans

Really?

You get to buy a ticket, you get a roof over your head and somewhere to sit, you get the chance to buy pies/slurryburgers/chips/Bovril and access to bogs to get rid of the  aforementioned pies/slurryburgers/chips/Bovril afterwards. 

Apart from heated cushions and the chance to watch Serie A style fitba, what essential aspect of your matchday experience is missing?

Really?
You get to buy a ticket, you get a roof over your head and somewhere to sit, you get the chance to buy pies/slurryburgers/chips/Bovril and access to bogs to get rid of the  aforementioned pies/slurryburgers/chips/Bovril afterwards. 
Apart from heated cushions and the chance to watch Serie A style fitba, what essential aspect of your matchday experience is missing?
Legroom.

3 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:
12 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:
Really?

Legroom.

Pish. It's adequate for 45 minutes at a time and you can stand up and move about at halftime. Man up and stop moaning.

Pish. It's adequate for 45 minutes at a time and you can stand up and move about at halftime. Man up and stop moaning.
Not that this is the time or place for it, but for those of us blessed with Colin Nish-esque limbs it really isn't.

I've grumbled about it enough on here though. It is what it is, and there's no way to change it.

6 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Not that this is the time or place for it, but for those of us blessed with Colin Nish-esque limbs it really isn't.

I've grumbled about it enough on here though. It is what it is, and there's no way to change it.

Simple solution. Dumbarton fans can stand on the terracings and Morton fans can have the whole stand to themselves. Next

14 minutes ago, Scottylintonstowel said:

Simple solution. Dumbarton fans can stand on the terracings and Morton fans can have the whole stand to themselves. Next

Sure but only if we can get the stand behind the goal at your ground. Oh wait...

35 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:
43 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:
Really?

Legroom.

Gives me rope to post my bi-annual Cappielow Main Stand walking gif.

Cheers :)

590c46adbccb7_bowlegwalk.jpg.95acba2a9b860d054d8a56121db4b1d2.jpg

I don't know why some Morton fans get so defensive about their not fit for purpose old stand. I think Cappielow is a great wee ground but shoe horning away fans that don't bring more than 250 fans into that old stand is very poor. I'm 6'2" and no longer go to Cappielow. In fact the last time I went I sat in the back of the stairwell.

Yes and we know our ground has only one stand which most of the time meets our requirements. There is adequate legroom, clean toilets with running water and a close by food servery. Add to that an onsite car park and in terms of facilities we provide to away fans there is no comparison to Cappielow.

One simple change would make all the difference and it is to give part of the old terrace back when we visit.

I'm not having a go here just picking up on some of the defensive Morton fans comments and putting some perspective in things.

1 hour ago, sons'r'us said:

I don't know why some Morton fans get so defensive about their not fit for purpose old stand. I think Cappielow is a great wee ground but shoe horning away fans that don't bring more than 250 fans into that old stand is very poor. I'm 6'2" and no longer go to Cappielow. In fact the last time I went I sat in the back of the stairwell.

Yes and we know our ground has only one stand which most of the time meets our requirements. There is adequate legroom, clean toilets with running water and a close by food servery. Add to that an onsite car park and in terms of facilities we provide to away fans there is no comparison to Cappielow.

One simple change would make all the difference and it is to give part of the old terrace back when we visit.

I'm not having a go here just picking up on some of the defensive Morton fans comments and putting some perspective in things.

I'm not being defensive mate but I do get fed up sometimes with some of the exaggerated crap talked about the stand. Sure, a couple of extra inches would be nice - as with many other things in life -  but my son and son-in-law are both at least your height and don't have any problem with sitting in the stand for 90 minutes. The only time it's maybe an issue is when some porker wants to get past and you get slightly more up close and personal than you might want, but that only lasts a couple of seconds.

As for your "not fit for purpose" comment, if that were the case it would be denied a safety certificate. Nobody is saying it's ideal, of course it isn't,  but it's adequate for watching a football match. The way some go on about it you'd think attending a single match there caused them permanent physical damage. Bring enough fans and you'll get plenty of space out with the stand, either on the WDE or (maybe) in the cowshed.

Archived