(Dumbar)Ton Vs. (Mor)Ton - 30/12/2017

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact is the pitch is likely to be covered in snow. Yes there is a thaw on with the rain however this will just lead to the snow melting and flooding the pitch. Maybe our ex groundsman will come on and confirm this. Minute the snow fell this morning the game was never going to be on. Absolutely no point in waiting until tomorrow when it's blatantly obvious it has no chance.

The fact is the pitch is likely to be covered in snow. Yes there is a thaw on with the rain however this will just lead to the snow melting and flooding the pitch. Maybe our ex groundsman will come on and confirm this. Minute the snow fell this morning the game was never going to be on. Absolutely no point in waiting until tomorrow when it's blatantly obvious it has no chance

I just don't see why they couldn't have waited until tomorrow having maybe got some volunteers down to shovel the snow and at least see what it looks like at 10/11 o'clock in the morning.

Yes it'd likely still be off, but what's the benefit in doing it so early when as has been pointed out, the location of our opponent is so close by?

9 hours ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

I just don't see why they couldn't have waited until tomorrow having maybe got some volunteers down to shovel the snow and at least see what it looks like at 10/11 o'clock in the morning.

Yes it'd likely still be off, but what's the benefit in doing it so early when as has been pointed out, the location of our opponent is so close by?

Snow wasn't the problem.

Picture on twitter of the pitch looking fine at 3pm today. Stupid to call it off more than 24 hours before kick off when the weather forecast was always set to melt away any snow/ice. 

That picture looks like there is a puddle in the middle of the pitch?

336a9334c1e7b574e437c8763abad891.jpg

Either way there's some amount of minter comments on Twitter from Morton fans who appear to think we have the power to decide a game isn't going ahead. It's a qualified ref who inspects the pitch and makes a decision, not Stevie Aitken. We also appear to have "8" players out injured according to some of them. We have 4 players injured.

I was speaking to an ex-Sons player last week about the chances of our games being hit by the weather, and he said that the middle of the park always gets soggy quickly. That picture would back him up.

Looks like calling it early wasn't a risk that backfired.

I love the idea that it is now somehow acceptable in Scotland for a professional football club to:

i) let a sea-level pitch get covered with a predicted snowfall

ii) let the snow predictably thaw out on the pitch and

iii) proceed to have a predictably waterlogged (and evidently unplayable) surface by 3pm on a Saturday

While gormless fans like the above act as if the match being postponed was an unstoppable Act of God, rather than the product of a rolling cascade of incompetence by Dumbarton Football Club. 

Invest in some pitch covers, brushes and/or proper drainage, you gubbins failures. 

I love the idea that it is now somehow acceptable in Scotland for a professional football club to:
i) let a sea-level pitch get covered with a predicted snowfall
ii) let the snow predictably thaw out on the pitch and
iii) proceed to have a predictably waterlogged (and evidently unplayable) surface by 3pm on a Saturday
While gormless fans like the above act as if the match being postponed was an unstoppable Act of God, rather than the product of a rolling cascade of incompetence by Dumbarton Football Club. 
Invest in some pitch covers, brushes and/or proper drainage, you gubbins failures. 

We have pitch covers, which can't be laid on top of an already frozen pitch. Obviously.

Archived