Elgin City v Stirling Albion

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feel sorry for any Binos on their way up but late call offs are  par for the course-not only with Elgin-but Scottish Football in general.  We have been stung a few times as well-I recollect a game against the Rovers at Cliftonhill being called off  at last minute and when Stranraer were in Div.3 they came up to Elgin and the game was called off at 14:40. 

I usually leave Edinburgh at 08:15 by bus so any late call offs such as today(City still tweeting game ON at 09:52) are useless . 

Perhaps someone reading this has the official SPFL ruling when a pitch inspection has to be completed by but in current weather conditions I am not taking the chance and will stay put in Edinburgh.

I note also that the game at Ainslie Park is off at well. It appears that all weather pitches(Hamilton last week) are not that brilliant either.

Summer Football anyone:thumsup2

Are you missing something? Can you not read the post where it says that the covers were coming up at 9:30? Your fans left early on a quite baseless post and the game was called off. You could still leave now and get to Elgin with plenty of time for a pint.

Are you missing something? Can you not read the post where it says that the covers were coming up at 9:30? Your fans left early on a quite baseless post and the game was called off. You could still leave now and get to Elgin with plenty of time for a pint.

Have you completely ignored the fact your official twitter tweeted that the game was on, then deleted it after making a complete tit of themselves. Bit like you are just now.

If the games in doubt, don't tweet "game on." Simple really.

1 minute ago, JakeSAFC said:

Have you completely ignored the fact your official twitter tweeted that the game was on, then deleted it after making a complete tit of themselves. Bit like you are just now.

Your right Jake someone jumped the gun tweeting the game was on - they should have waited until the inspection was done. 

It really is the season of goodwill i'm agreeing with you:lol:

You obviously don't understand the context of "game on" either. Fucking hell.

Not the best choice of phrase, no, but let's not pretend you don't know what that could mean.

My Twitter timeline shows this tweet from official SA Twitter
‘[emoji736] Game on! No pitch inspection required at Borough Briggs for our match v @ElginCityFC. Safe journey to those making the trip. [emoji594]”
This was posted before official EC post stating game was on. Still a clusterfuck tho

7 minutes ago, Elgin Street Badger said:

Feel sorry for any Binos on their way up but late call offs are  par for the course-not only with Elgin-but Scottish Football in general.  We have been stung a few times as well-I recollect a game against the Rovers at Cliftonhill being called off  at last minute and when Stranraer were in Div.3 they came up to Elgin and the game was called off at 14:40. 

I usually leave Edinburgh at 08:15 by bus so any late call offs such as today(City still tweeting game ON at 09:52) are useless . 

Perhaps someone reading this has the official SPFL ruling when a pitch inspection has to be completed by but in current weather conditions I am not taking the chance and will stay put in Edinburgh.

I note also that the game at Ainslie Park is off at well. It appears that all weather pitches(Hamilton last week) are not that brilliant either.

Summer Football anyone:thumsup2

Don't think there is any rule as such re times for an inspection. Obviously the commonsense approach is to have an early one if things are really bad and not going to improve.

On the other side of the coin from you some Clyde fans were moaning about the City game being off early.

Its a bit of a myth calling artificial pitches all weather as recent weeks have shown their not!

3 minutes ago, WeAreElgin said:

You obviously don't understand the context of "game on" either. Fucking hell.

Not the best choice of phrase, no, but let's not pretend you don't know what that could mean.

Have to say if I read that I would be like Jake and assume that the pitch was ok and the game was on.

Thank feck I was stopping for petrol in Perth. Woke up this morning, saw Elgin and Stirling twitter confirming game was on. Didnt double check before setting off. A chance glance at the phone here saved me that pointless journey.

What the feck happened between 9 and 10!?

5 minutes ago, Elgin Street Badger said:

Ironically, a game against Stirling at Forthbank was called off even later than that (around 2.50pm IIRC?) only a few seasons ago when Elgin fans were already in their seats. Given our distance from every other club in Scotland, we suffer plenty of call offs after the team and fans have left. It's just one of those things

In all seriousness the tweet this morning was stupid, game on can easily be misunderstood (see - half of Stirling) but there have far worse last minute call offs than this. I'm sure we had a game called off at quarter to 3 because the street that Borough Briggs is on was icy.

Was on the Supporters Bus on the way to Elgin when halfway between Stirling and Perth we got a call saying their would be a pitch inspection at 9.45 am, so we pulled into Broxden services to find the Team Bus their waiting to find out if the game was on. 

When we found it was called off we headed back down the road to Stirling. Clearly somebody at Elgin got their wires mixed up. It was on that basis that the Supporters Bus left Stirling at 08.40 this morning. If we had known that their would have been a pitch inspection then we could have delayed leaving until later. As it is its cost the Supporters Club £100 for the Bus today. 

Clearly in situations like this it may have been wise to call for a pitch inspection the day before due to the distances involved. 

Now having to watch Celtic v Rangers on the telly :(

Really frustrating for both sets of fans.  Obviously more so for Binos.

I read the Elgin twitter at 0930 or so and it said "game on".  "Dancer" I thought - weather not too bad overnight so I wasn't so surprised.

I can only guess that staff at the ground thought the pitch was playable, and then a local referee turned up at 0940 and called it off.  Although this doesn't explain the inspection/no inspection tweets.

All in all pish.  Ironing listening to Open All Mics now on the cards.

I blame Douglas Ross..

Always frustrating when a game is cancelled, especially when you have made plans to travel up.

After reading a post that Stuart Brown put on our Forum last night, I made the decision not to travel. When I looked at Twitter this morning and seen the “Game On” post, I’ll be honest and did start to plan coming, but by car instead. I’m glad I never obviously but it didn’t stop many others (including players and officials) setting off.

Seems like a bit of a cluster on Elgin’s part, maybe they should have Tweeted something like “Game on for now, but doubts over the pitch” or “Pitch inspection requested, more info to follow”.

That’s not to say that other hardships haven’t happened previously, as I said at the start, it’s always frustrating and at times every club is dammed if they do and dammed if they don’t.

Archived