The Invincibles v Forfar.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, jm86 said:

Quite rightly every Ayr fan will be seething at that result and every other fan will be having a quick gloat. In the space of a week we have virtually handed the title to Raith.  Theirs to lose now.  

However, once the seething and gloating are over, it is indisputable that Forfar were incredibly lucky to win that game.  On another day that could have easily been six or seven nil to Ayr. The stats tell their own story. But that’s football. You get lucky wins and unlucky defeats all the time.  That, however, is the  luckiest win I’ve seen in decades of watching football. It was very hard to believe at the end.  Two nil up with 17 minutes to go,  cruising against a team at the bottom of the league that had averaged less than a goal a game and had already lost 8-0 to us over two games this season. What could possibly go wrong.  Even I, as a born pessimist when it comes to football, reckoned it was in the bag.  Normally I’m only comfortable when we’re 3 ahead with 5 minutes to go, but Forfar had been so toothless it was hard to imagine them scoring one, let alone three.

The only slightly disappointing thing was that we hadn’t scored at least six. Their goalie had one those days where he was stopping everything.  Maybe it was just a lucky day for him, but it was the best display of goalkeeping I’ve seen in many years. Then our always suspect defence decided to go haywire and let Forfar have 3 shots on goal, all of which went in.  Our goalie was very suspect at two of them.  So I suppose it boiled down to a game of two goalies.

Amazing how often in football a good run is followed by a bad one when it ends.  We can’t afford to let that continue . It will be hard to regain confidence after that absolute disaster but Stranraer on Tuesday has suddenly become a must win game. 

Is that where your problem lies , your defence is poor however going forward your fairly prolific in terms of goals scored?Maybe that’s how we are only 2 points behind now because I’m sure we have only conceded 3 goals at home. Is it not the case it’s the way McCall plays/ sets up the team? Either way if you can’t defend your asking for trouble

11 minutes ago, basher brash said:

Is that where your problem lies , your defence is poor however going forward your fairly prolific in terms of goals scored?Maybe that’s how we are only 2 points behind now because I’m sure we have only conceded 3 goals at home. Is it not the case it’s the way McCall plays/ sets up the team? Either way if you can’t defend your asking for trouble

Far too rational for this time of the evening!

Everyone is still in gloating mode of various degrees.

There's plenty twists and turns yet and both teams have shown they are capable of some daft results.

Seeing as we play Forfar then Ayr, I think it's a bit daft to gloat.

That said, the 4-0 predictions are a bit funny now.

Totally disingenuous Dindeleux. You know fine what the phrase “on another day” 

means. Simply if the luck had gone the other way we could easily have won at least 6-0.  Unless you believe the concept of luck has no place in football matches. Could be the basis of an interesting philosophical discussion on the part that pure chance plays  in life. 

2 hours ago, rb123! said:

Safe to say that was a self-destruction to new levels, clueless substitutions didn't help either. If it hadn't been for Moffatt scoring right on half time i think he would probably have been taken off at the break for Moore because I've no idea how he lasted the 90 minutes.

How much for your goalie Forfar, do you wish a goalie called Jordan Hart as a swap?

Close to the first thing Weir did on arrival was tying the keeper in to the end of season 2018-19.

Got it in one Basher Brash. Our prolific goal scoring has covered up our defensive frailties all season. If, for whatever reason, we don’t score heavily, we’re always dicing with defeat. Our attack and your defence would make some team at this level. McCall, I suppose, sets up the team to play to our strengths and hopes our defensive deficiencies don’t scupper us. 

I don’t like to single players out, but the goalie cost us today as he did up at Kirkcaldy where you, no doubt, witnessed the two softies he conceded against you.  I thought he had got over the Kirkcaldy disaster as he has played reasonably well up to today and saved us a few points in tight games. Maybe today he had so little to do he got caught cold at the end. We’ll have to hope Raith toss away a few points before May, but despite playing shite for most of the season (according to their own fans) they keep grinding out the results. 

Anyway, long way to go. Anything can happen over the remaining games. I just wish our fans didn’t indulge in all this “league’s won” crap or, even worse, the “invincible” rubbish.

Archived