Are Smart Phones killing Society?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Maggie Thatcher didn't kill off the concept of society. Smart phones might modify it a bit, but won't be able to kill it either, because there is such a thing as society and we are all part of it. Rust in peace, Maggie T.

Thanq for reminding me she is rotting in the ground, brightened up my day.  

3 hours ago, Tynierose said:

It really isn't Alanis.

I’m afraid it is. You are thanking a smartphone for saving you from meaningless conversations with randoms on a website which is entirely based around meaningless conversations with randoms.

We are all guilty of it, some more than others. Faces glued to phones, missed conversations leading to missed opportunities. Concerts, events, plays etc not viewed through the eye but viewed through the phone. Wee adrenaline surges when one gets a like as if it's of utter importance whilst conversation and real time events suffer. What does the future hold and will there be social problems in years to come. We move with the future but are we heading towards a less social society as opposed to the 'bringing everyone together' promise of the smaller world..

As you say we are all guilty of it but I completely agree. I personally spend far too much time looking at my phone while my daughter plays around about me.

The new time limits apple have put on with IOS 12 is an eye opener for a lot of people am not too bad (50 minutes a day) as hardly any f**ker phones or texts me (thats a double edged sword that one i know) .  If i go out i tend to leave my phone at home its just f**king rude.  All guilty of it but you could say the same thing about the internet its pretty much a combination of both (Yes i do realise the hypocrisy in that comment).

Phones aren't to blame. It's the vapid morons using them.
A woman glued to her tablet nearly bumped in to me this morning in the street. I hope she falls down a hole.

I sometimes act all obtuse and purposely make sure I'm in their path, just to see how close they can get before noticing. Nobody's managed to walk into me yet, but there have been some close calls. This is how I brighten up the morning walk to work.

I sometimes act all obtuse and purposely make sure I'm in their path, just to see how close they can get before noticing. Nobody's managed to walk into me yet, but there have been some close calls. This is how I brighten up the morning walk to work.
This is my new strategy... Cheers

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

I thought that was just me.

3 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

On a similar vein, if someone lets a door swing shut behind them, rather than holding it for me, as I walk through it I slap it loudly with the palm of my hand and utter "oaft ", just to see how many apologise.*

Not nearly enough do, imo.

*yes, I'm a twat. 

3 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

There's an app for that

http://www.type-n-walk.com/

This is my new strategy... Cheers

Craving human contact that much, lads?

We are all guilty of it, some more than others. Faces glued to phones, missed conversations leading to missed opportunities. Concerts, events, plays etc not viewed through the eye but viewed through the phone. Wee adrenaline surges when one gets a like as if it's of utter importance whilst conversation and real time events suffer. What does the future hold and will there be social problems in years to come. We move with the future but are we heading towards a less social society as opposed to the 'bringing everyone together' promise of the smaller world..

Looks like I’m in the minority, but I’m with you on this one JLD. And I think the social problems are already very much present.

You sit on a busy train today. Look around. Nearly everyone is on their phone. I was sat across from an old man at a table of 4 on a train recently. All of us except him were staring into our phones. I felt ashamed. Back in old boys day, you spoke to other people. That’s how you met people and made connections - in the real world. Nowadays, making conversation with people in the real world can be a daunting and risky thing to do. Chances are you’ll be met with weird looks and labelled a creep. You’ll be made to feel uncomfortable. It’s madness because we’re all human at the end of the day and this is what it’s coming to.

I 100% think there are young folk today, probably not that much younger than me, who will say to their mates/parents “here, this random person started trying to talk to me today. It was like he wanted to chat to me or something, what a weirdo - I don’t even know him/her!” A very sad state of affairs.

11 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Looks like I’m in the minority, but I’m with you on this one JLD. And I think the social problems are already very much present.

You sit on a busy train today. Look around. Nearly everyone is on their phone. I was sat across from an old man at a table of 4 on a train recently. All of us except him were staring into our phones. I felt ashamed. Back in old boys day, you spoke to other people. That’s how you met people and made connections - in the real world. Nowadays, making conversation with people in the real world can be a daunting and risky thing to do. Chances are you’ll be met with weird looks and labelled a creep. You’ll be made to feel uncomfortable. It’s madness because we’re all human at the end of the day and this is what it’s coming to.

I 100% think there are young folk today, probably not that much younger than me, who will say to their mates/parents “here, this random person started trying to talk to me today. It was like he wanted to chat to me or something, what a weirdo - I don’t even know him/her!” A very sad state of affairs.

I travelled on several forms of public transport, including trains, for many years before smartphones. Making conversation with strangers was generally the exception rather than the rule. This applies x200 in Aberdeenshire,

Aye speaking to total strangers on the train is a bit weird, and I’ve always thought so, including long before I ever owned a smartphone.

I much prefer to read something or fanny about online if alone. With mates then aye, we’d all be talking, but I wouldn’t really want to strike up a conversation with some odd stranger on public transport.

Also I agree with the poster above. Folk weren’t all talking to people they’d never met all the time on trains before smartphones. A nonsense to even hint that this was the case.

Archived