The Investment Thread

Dindeleux

Not all of the beneficiaries are small guys.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jan/27/gamestop-three-largest-shareholders-earn-over-2bn-amid-stock-surge

Other winners include Donald Foss, the 76-year-old founder and former CEO of Credit Acceptance Corp, a subprime auto lender. Foss bought 5% of GameStop early last year for around $12m. His stake is now worth more than $500m.

I bought 4 shares at $310 yesterday and they're hovering around $490 at the minute. Going to cash a couple out when the market opens I reckon to cover my arse and then keep the other 2 to see how far this will go. 

18 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I see some of the trading platforms have shut down buying of GME. Pretty dodgy stuff here.

Almost all of them now. It's so fucking rigged. :lol:

I mean, we knew that already, but to see it play out all over again like this. b*****ds.

30 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Almost all of them now. It's so fucking rigged. :lol:

I mean, we knew that already, but to see it play out all over again like this. b*****ds.

It’s making me want to buy a couple of shares tbh. The blatant manipulation attempt is driving the Reddit users etc to hold/keep buying.

2 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

It’s making me want to buy a couple of shares tbh. The blatant manipulation attempt is driving the Reddit users etc to hold/keep buying.

I am not a financial adviser but a lot of the talk on there seems to suggest they're going for $NOK next. Guess we'll find out when the market opens in a minute.

Trying to time the market is a fools errand.
Highly recommend reading JL Collins Simple Path To Wealth. That will teach you everything you need to know about investing - which isn’t much.

4 hours ago, Jeff Venom said:

This has been terrific reading.
Instantly thought of the turds that supposedly were gambling on a hard brexit and if they could be undermined in a similar way.
Free markets? Not *that* kind of free emoji24.png

No one was gambling on a hard Brexit. That was a myth. 

From reading that sub reddit AMC seems to be the next pile on.  But since I don’t have a trading platform, nor know anything about them aside from the fact that robinhood have blocked trades and you’d expect the others to do the same.

I would fling about £500 into this stuff.  Mostly for a laugh.

I wish I'd got in to The GME stuff when my mate told me about it last week. He bought 38 shares at $38 last week. Sold 8 yesterday at around the $300 mark to guarantee a small profit, with 30 left in the game to see how far it flies. It has been really volatile since opening today at 265, been as high as 482 and now trading is halted with the price at 330.66.

15 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

From reading that sub reddit AMC seems to be the next pile on.  But since I don’t have a trading platform, nor know anything about them aside from the fact that robinhood have blocked trades and you’d expect the others to do the same.

Robin Hood hasn't launched in the UK yet and I don't think there is any similar app available here. 

15 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

Robinhood only blocked pre-market transactions. They opened up when the market opened.

1 minute ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I wish I'd got in to The GME stuff when my mate told me about it last week. He bought 38 shares at $38 last week. Sold 8 yesterday at around the $300 mark to guarantee a small profit, with 30 left in the game to see how far it flies. It has been really volatile since opening today at 265, been as high as 482 and now trading is halted with the price at 330.66.

So he passed on an extra $9000 profit?

Crazy. 

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

So he passed on an extra $9000 profit?

Crazy. 

His outlook is that he has now removed all risk of a loss, and if it reaches silly levels during the squeeze (a lot of talk that it could go as high as $1,000) then he's in for a huge windfall. I can get on board with that tactic.

No one was gambling on a hard Brexit. That was a myth. 
To be fair I was definitely taken in by the stories of Crispin Odey around Johnson becoming leader of the Tories.
He did very well from the referendum result though. Is it a stretch to think that privately he, and others who witnessed his windfall, sees £ signs in a particular deal outcome?

1 minute ago, Jeff Venom said:

To be fair I was definitely taken in by the stories of Crispin Odey around Johnson becoming leader of the Tories.
He did very well from the referendum result though. Is it a stretch to think that privately he, and others who witnessed his windfall, sees £ signs in a particular deal outcome?

Obviously big capitalists that are passionate about Brexit probably expect to make more money from it long term but the stuff about it being a market manipulation to make a quick windfall was nonsense.

There was a good article that debunked it all.