The Investment Thread

Dindeleux

41 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

Any of you invested in property/precious metals?

I got into precious metals around 2014. It was always intended as something to keep until retirement, but still the price action has been a little disappointing given the state of everything economically and geopolitically. It has done its job in terms of protecting against devaluing of the currency though. Long-term I think it's a no-brainer.

On 20/06/2022 at 06:36, arab_joe said:

I paid off the mortgage of a rental property in Dubai (yes, I was stupid enough to buy a place out here...) earlier this year - but tricky for me to get a mortgage for property in the UK as I am living abroad, so for now I am just saving a deposit for that.

Don't know anything about precious metals, wouldn't have a clue where to start!

At least you have a mortgage free property producing cash for you now. I've got quite a bit of properties in UK and source on behalf of investors abroad so drop me a PM if you have any questions about investing in the UK.

On 20/06/2022 at 08:20, Suspect Device said:

Only in terms of a gold ETF which is supposedly a hedge against inflation. 5% of my SIPP in PHGP. Making 7.% a year since 2019. Not exactly great but not losing money.

How do you do the gold ETFs? Takes up much less space than physical gold.

On 20/06/2022 at 07:19, Zetterlund said:

I got into precious metals around 2014. It was always intended as something to keep until retirement, but still the price action has been a little disappointing given the state of everything economically and geopolitically. It has done its job in terms of protecting against devaluing of the currency though. Long-term I think it's a no-brainer.

I had around 10z of gold and a good bit of silver but have sold off all my gold, holding just silver atm in the form of gold bars and coins.

48 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

How do you do the gold ETFs? Takes up much less space than physical gold.

I had around 10z of gold and a good bit of silver but have sold off all my gold, holding just silver atm in the form of gold bars and coins.

I've just bought it as part of my SIPP on Interactive Investor.

image.thumb.png.cd20e8c92ee8f18e74225e012869281e.png

• 7 months later...
39 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Scares the pants off me. For all the years and all the money I’ve had in the FTSE for the past 20 years suddenly it’s not been a red number for the past three months! Cash it all in or hang on for a ride?

Hang on in there, there's still plenty of upside potential. The UK market is hugely undervalued compared to, for example, the US.

*Posts by Gnash do not constitute financial advice*

I can only think it's because they hold loads of US bonds and it doesn't look like the Republicans are keen on defaulting. Apart from that, steadily declining investment and productivity, everything's in the shitter. The FTSE is a mystery to me.

1 hour ago, Gnash said:

Hang on in there, there's still plenty of upside potential. The UK market is hugely undervalued compared to, for example, the US.

*Posts by Gnash do not constitute financial advice*

Careful, the new U.S. jobs report means the Fed will continue raising rates, and the market is assuming Wednesdays quarter point rise was the end. All loan rates about to jump, I’d expect a pretty strong correction soon, but long term is still a buy and hold.

The FTSE has been performing horrendously for decades and struggles to get any decent IPOs now. 

The temporary boost is because their major components, finance and energy, are doing well in the current climate. 

Think it constituents less than 5% of my portfolio and will be staying that way, better to invest in the S&P.

Edited by Satoshi

I suspect the market as a whole, and especially the U.S. market, is going to take on a tone that will confuse a generation plus of investors in most countries. The last 20 years have been pretty anomalous, and the last ten have been downright insane, in terms of monetary injections. This generation of investors haven’t seen a “real” market, just a near untrammeled rise of values, with any reversal being short, sharp and quickly recovered.

We have people with 20 years of experience who believe what they have seen is a normal market, and it will be interesting to see how quickly the learn and adapt. For instance, bonds have been out of vogue for quite a while, but are about to have another day in the sun. With rates likely peaking in a year or so, those longer term, higher rate bonds will provide quite nice returns for years to come for those fortunate enough to understand the relationships within the market…assuming they don’t get greedy and try to maximize that return with lower quality bonds.

Anyone that remembers the struggles of the markets in the 80’s should be fine, as will those that study and understand long term trends. The day traders and gamblers may have a hard time.

On 03/02/2023 at 21:55, alta-pete said:

Scares the pants off me. For all the years and all the money I’ve had in the FTSE for the past 20 years suddenly it’s not been a red number for the past three months! Cash it all in or hang on for a ride?

Buy the ticket, take the ride! 

I had some newer funds I'd invested in that honestly I was afraid to look at for a while (maybe not best investing tactic) but they've come back now. The overall trend for the FTSE should be up, interspersed with rough periods, that may last some time. Depends when you want to use the money, can't imagine you're retirement age yet. Should be the same for most well managed funds, if you've got big balls, keep ploughing money in when it takes a dip.

Anyone in this thread invest in property? Be interesting to see how folk are getting on with that, I had 3 that I renewed in December which basically doubled in monthly payments which wasn't great but thankfully they are good yielders so they are still positive cashflow every month, got one up in August this year so hopefully it will have calmed down a bit by then.

• 7 months later...

Over half a year and no action here.  Are any posters still active in the market?

I keep seeing things about index funds and people saying to get involved regardless of timings... but how exactly?  "Do it!" they say.  "Where do I go?!" I want to say back.

Any recommendations for a lazy fecker like me wanting to throw a bit of spare cash on the S&P 500 rollercoaster with any profits paid into a (so far non-existent) Stocks & Shares ISA?  I've already paid into a cash ISA this year (nothing near the £20k limit though) so unsure if that prevents me paying into a new S&S ISA this financial year.

Edited by Hedgecutter