The Investment Thread

Dindeleux

On 18/03/2021 at 19:53, gaz5 said:

Anyone got any green/renewable ETF's in their portfolio they'd recommend?

Thinking about adding one, but finding it difficult to find decent info on any other than the BlackRock iShares one.

ASI Global Ethical Equity is a decent established fund, but I don't have any as it's too much overlap with it's holdings and my other funds. 

Baillie Gifford Responsible Global Equity is one I got into last year, fairly new fund that's been doing fairly well. 

See when a company is touted for or actually being taken over, it's generally seen as good for the shareholders, but what's the workings behind it all.

I have a stock which, based on a lot of chatter, might be ripe for a takeover which seems to be pleasing a lot of other shareholders. But at what point would it be good? Would the incoming company be obliged to offer me for my shares or is it just that the price would spike as the time drew near?

On 18/03/2021 at 19:53, gaz5 said:

Anyone got any green/renewable ETF's in their portfolio they'd recommend?

Thinking about adding one, but finding it difficult to find decent info on any other than the BlackRock iShares one.

I own an amount of the Ishares Global Clean Energy.   As part of a small group made up of that with a Global Water ETF, and a Green Bond ETF.

The Clean Energy one is well known for being just about the best performing ETF around last year. What no one mentions is that for years prior to that

it was pretty much a dud performance wise. Climate Change wasn't fashionable then. 

I suggest that you read up, and do some research on the particular flavours of green/renewable/ sustainable/impact  investing, the meaning of the various terms, SRI , ESG, 'best in class' as applied  to greenness, etc.   In doing so, you'll see names that keep cropping up, and you'll be able to make your own decisions.

btw.    In my own investing in ETF's, I always check the 'replication method'   I always choose 'physical replication'.  

Edited by beefybake

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

See when a company is touted for or actually being taken over, it's generally seen as good for the shareholders, but what's the workings behind it all.

I have a stock which, based on a lot of chatter, might be ripe for a takeover which seems to be pleasing a lot of other shareholders. But at what point would it be good? Would the incoming company be obliged to offer me for my shares or is it just that the price would spike as the time drew near?

The process depends on a few factors. The buyer will generally try to get agreement with as many of the major shareholders as possible before officially publishing the offer prospectus. Depending on acceptance levels with the big holders it may go through as a mandatory scheme of arrangement, meaning you just sit back and wait for the money. Chances are though it will be processed as a Tender, meaning your broker will contact you telling you the price on offer and asking if you want to accept. Depending on acceptance levels, the tender can be extended, increased, withdrawn or attract counter offers. Generally the share price will track the offer price but with a small discount, so if you don't want to arse about waiting, you can usually sell to the market for fairly close to the offer price(Minus commission, the market makers spread and anything else built into the market price).

In terms of what is good, that comes down to your own opinion. If you bought it years ago and you are making multiples of your money, you might think it's a good offer. If you bought it last week and the offer price is a premium of 5% of the trading price, you might think it's not really that good.

If it goes to a tender and you don't accept or sell, there is a chance the buyer may enforce a mandatory squeeze out on small holders, meaning you have no choice but to take the money. There is also a chance they may delist the stock, take them private and leave you with shares you can do next to f*ck all with. That one is a complete pain in the arse.

S&P 500 cigars its way over the 4k for the first time. 

STONKS BABY YEAH!

(Disclaimer - stonks may go down as well as up.  The stonkiness of stonks to date is not an indicator of future stonkitude.  Your capital / home / marriage / mental health is at risk).  

1 hour ago, resk said:

S&P 500 cigars its way over the 4k for the first time. 

STONKS BABY YEAH!

(Disclaimer - stonks may go down as well as up.  The stonkiness of stonks to date is not an indicator of future stonkitude.  Your capital / home / marriage / mental health is at risk).  

takemymoney.jpg.c0dcac5e1f6ae13d0a30d57346e9fd5e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

FTSE 100 back over 7000 this morning, a 14 month high. An even better story in the US with the S&P and the DOW both hitting all time highs.
Hopefully those who predicted a crash and were thinking of moving into cash last month didn’t do so. If they did, therein lies the folly of market timing. If you went to cash in Feb what do you now that markets have went up across the board? Do you stay in cash still waiting/hoping for a crash? How long do you wait? Or do you suck it up and get back in, having missed out on the growth in the meantime, thus exposing yourself further to any future crashes?
Could drive yourself mad with all that. Set it and forget it.

I’m still waiting on Trading 212 on getting back to me to set up an account so I’m guessing I’m on the waiting list still. It’s been about 3 months now so thinking of patching that and getting a different trading app. Anyone able to recommend anything? Is EToro any good?

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

I’m still waiting on Trading 212 on getting back to me to set up an account so I’m guessing I’m on the waiting list still. It’s been about 3 months now so thinking of patching that and getting a different trading app. Anyone able to recommend anything? Is EToro any good?

I use Interactive Brokers (IBKR) and Degiro, both of which I would recommend. Nice user-friendly mobile apps and small fees.

I know this isn't really the best place to ask.....but what the hell is going on with the Crypto-currencies atm? (not invested in them, just curious)
Most are down between 5-20%, seems a bit large for market correction?
Pretty standard for crypto. Volitility is off the charts (pun intended).

In the last two weeks one of my coins has gone:

+240%
-60%
+50%

The whole market is tied to BTC. The correction the last few days was BTC dropping back into an accumulation pattern that happened to coincide with options expiry (yesterday).

It's moving up again now, the whole market with it again.

Top is coming soon though, when this cycles bubble will burst and everything will lose 70-90% before getting to the bottom and starting the dance all over again.

It's great fun. [emoji102][emoji102]

On 23/04/2021 at 22:20, Zetterlund said:

I use Interactive Brokers (IBKR) and Degiro, both of which I would recommend. Nice user-friendly mobile apps and small fees.

How do you find IBKR, as a presumably not hedge fund client?

7 hours ago, Ross. said:

How do you find IBKR, as a presumably not hedge fund client?

As a pretty basic user it's perfect for me, mainly for the wide range of stocks it offers as most of mine are obscure Aussie and Canadian companies. I'm sure the platform has many features I'll never use but I find it well laid out with easy currency conversions and decent fees.

4 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

JP Morgan have amassed over a billion oz of physical silver in anticipation of the next up cycle of precious metals.

Don't know where you read or saw that story but the total amount of .999 silver in the world is estimated at 3 to 3.5 billion ounces.  There is no way JP Morgan have purchased 1/3 of the total physical silver in the world.

On 26/04/2021 at 11:15, Pato said:

Does anyone follow any shares or funds that have reasonable trading volume but are also quite volatile?

I’ve a bit staked in this and it’s somewhat of a rollercoaster. Volume isn’t great which is probably part of it.

https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/stocks/iea/after-hours

E5F04CDE-F20A-430F-9EBC-251F19FC1208.png

Edited by Alert Mongoose