The Investment Thread

Dindeleux

21 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Sorry to be a newbie ruining the thread, but I'm looking for an easy platform to start investing through. 

Is Robin Hood the best of what's available? I'll only be looking at some low-level share purchases each month, nothing crazy or serious?

Suggest you check out Boringmoney.  They do some decent user friendly guides to the various investing platforms.

Edit:   Just noticed, you're in Germany.     Boringmoney is for UK based.

Edited by beefybake

39 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Can you transfer an individual holding into a stocks and shares ISA?

You can "Bed and ISA" which basically just involves selling your holding and rebuying it in a S&S ISA, assuming your ISA provider offers the holding.  As far as I know there's no direct transfer from a General Investment Account to an S&S ISA, ie. you have to sell and rebuy which means a short period of time out of the market, and possibly also a CGT bill depending on how much your gain is.  

1 minute ago, resk said:

You can "Bed and ISA" which basically just involves selling your holding and rebuying it in a S&S ISA, assuming your ISA provider offers the holding.  As far as I know there's no direct transfer from a General Investment Account to an S&S ISA, ie. you have to sell and rebuy which means a short period of time out of the market, and possibly also a CGT bill depending on how much your gain is.  

Thats what I thought. Its liable for CG at the minute and I'm not selling as it should have another run in it. Also, HL no longer trade it so I can only sell with them. b*****ds

Thats what I thought. Its liable for CG at the minute and I'm not selling as it should have another run in it. Also, HL no longer trade it so I can only sell with them. b*****ds
You could chunk it up to keep it under CGT thresholds and bed that into your ISA, assuming you have enough allowance left this year, in two (or more) stages?

Given we're in March you could do it twice in quick succession, once before April 5th and once after.

You'd get £12,300 in both chunks to stay under CGT threshold.

Depends on how much it's worth his many years that would take to get into the ISA, but long term the tax efficiency would definitely be worth it.

Not sure how you get round HL not trading it anymore, but selling and putting into another fund in an ISA could work for you.

22 hours ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

The entire reason bitcoin exists is to emulate the transferal of physical cash over a digital medium. In other words, it exists to enable one person to transfer value directly, privately and censorship-resitantly  to another person, without any intermediaries. Until another medium is invented that can replicate that, crypto will always have value.

I’m sure a poster who joined in the last fortnight is totally objective and has no ulterior motive.

35 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Be interesting to see how far Tesla falls in the coming months.

Do you think it will fall far enough for Elon Musk to chuck his toys out the pram and call stock brokers child molesters? It would be great if he did it to someone with deep enough pockets to go after a defamation case.

On 08/02/2021 at 22:23, Granny Danger said:

S&P 500 and NASDAQ still rising.  Seriously thinking of converting our SIPP funds to cash as I reckon the markets are going to drop at some point in the near future.  The question, of course, is when.

Should have listened to myself.  :bairn

1 hour ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Looking into starting a portfolio sometime soon, nothing complicated. Just a passive earner on the side.

Anyone got any recommendations on where to look for how to best set one up?

Take a look at the likes of Interactive Investor and Hargreaves, people will tell you Hargreaves have higher charges, doesn't mean you need to invest with them to use their research though, which is usually pretty good. 

Take a look at index funds, a lot of them out there that have been performing steadily now for many years. It's hard to gauge a right time to invest now, markets have been a little volatile again recently. I tend to keep an eye out for dips and sometimes re-invest larger lump sums. It's worked so far for me, I'm no expert though. 

Also, make use of ISA allowances. 

Trying to time the market is, of course, a sound investment strategy that always comes up trumps for the layman.

The only way to lose money in the stock market is trying to time it. Amazes me the amount of people that still try to do this, even professionals in the field.
Put your money in every month, leave it alone throughout the highs and lows and in 20-30 years you’ll have done very, very well.

51 minutes ago, Lex said:

The only way to lose money in the stock market is trying to time it. Amazes me the amount of people that still try to do this, even professionals in the field.
Put your money in every month, leave it alone throughout the highs and lows and in 20-30 years you’ll have done very, very well.

'The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient' - Warren Buffet.

I am absolutley stunned that this was a thing. I have no sympathy for anyone involved, looking back I remember seeing this advertised and I sincerely thought it was some mobile game people were doing...

"I've got 4k invested"

"What's your portfolio made up of mate?"

"Phil Foden and Declan Rice"

Mental

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56401707

I am absolutley stunned that this was a thing. I have no sympathy for anyone involved, looking back I remember seeing this advertised and I sincerely thought it was some mobile game people were doing...
"I've got 4k invested"
"What's your portfolio made up of mate?"
"Phil Foden and Declan Rice"
Mental
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56401707

Yep, madness.

I know a few who were into it and their advertising was all over the place even very recently trying to such people in, but it just always seemed mental to me.

Hopefully no one ends up doing anything daft because of it, regardless of what we think of the company. [emoji853]

Got FOMOd into paying over the odds for a stock there. Probably by some pump and dump activity aswell.

Live and learn. Still like the stock, still will probably pump more in, but just gave away a good chunk of potential profit margin.