The Investment Thread

Dindeleux

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Anyone currently investing into a green energy fund that’s doing alright just now?

Yeah, I stuck quite a bit in that (ishares) about a year ago. Just saw it is 5% down today though. 

Edited by JMDP

The whole Reddit/GameStop thing is absolutely fucking hilarious. Zero sympathy for the hedge funds, I can only assume it was arrogance that made them think they could short it to the level they did without someone realizing there was a scalp to be taken.

Fairly sure something similar happened about a decade back with Porsche.

28 minutes ago, Ross. said:

The whole Reddit/GameStop thing is absolutely fucking hilarious. Zero sympathy for the hedge funds, I can only assume it was arrogance that made them think they could short it to the level they did without someone realizing there was a scalp to be taken.

Yes, I've just been reading about  it. 

Absolutely loving it.

2 hours ago, Ross. said:

Same thing happening with AMC at the moment - its a tug of war but it looks like its going to fly. Far too risky for any decent investment but taken a small position in AMC as it looks like it might replicate Gamestop. Interesting discussion just on CNBC where some dude was tearing into the hedgefunds. 

2 hours ago, Ross. said:

A true 'David getting it right up Goliath' tale. Some laugh.

4 hours ago, Ross. said:

Bought 4 GameStop shares for £200 on Monday- cashed out at opening today at £800. Don't think I've made much easier money. 

Most delicious part is that the rise in the share price is now being caused by the hedge funds reversing their short position and buying shares. 

Edited by sparky88

1 hour ago, sparky88 said:

Bought 4 GameStop shares for £200 on Monday- cashed out at opening today at £800. Don't think I've made much easier money. 

Most delicious part is that the rise in the share price is now being caused by the hedge funds reversing their short position and buying shares. 

If not for my job making it difficult, I would have piled in a few days ago also. Not worth the hassle for me though, too much potential for compliance issues. Well done on making a few quid from it.

11 minutes ago, Ross. said:

If not for my job making it difficult, I would have piled in a few days ago also. Not worth the hassle for me though, too much potential for compliance issues. Well done on making a few quid from it.

Aye it's a pain in the arse. I've been playing with the idea of doing a lot of reading, setting up a trading account with a tiny amount and having a try as I should have a decent amount to put away in a year or twos time. The independence paperwork for work makes it not worth the hassle just now

8 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Aye it's a pain in the arse. I've been playing with the idea of doing a lot of reading, setting up a trading account with a tiny amount and having a try as I should have a decent amount to put away in a year or twos time. The independence paperwork for work makes it not worth the hassle just now

Not so much a paperwork issue for me, more that there is a fair chance we’d be the broker for one of the funds who are shorting the absolute f**k out of it, so if I go long in these circumstances, they would probably argue there was a conflict of interest or that I was using insider knowledge to make my decision. None of which is true, but I have seen people bumped off for less.

Same thing happening with AMC at the moment - its a tug of war but it looks like its going to fly. Far too risky for any decent investment but taken a small position in AMC as it looks like it might replicate Gamestop. Interesting discussion just on CNBC where some dude was tearing into the hedgefunds. 

Tempted to have a gamble on this. Worried however that we would have ourselves another Northern Rock type of moment on P&B [emoji38]

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

Tempted to have a gamble on this. Worried however that we would have ourselves another Northern Rock type of moment on P&B emoji38.png

I bought AMC yesterday too but I fear the game may be up. I noticed AMC down in after hours trading today (our time) - GameStop too actually. Might be completely wrong. 

Edited by sparky88

1 hour ago, Aladdin said:

Do people use apps for stock investments or is the best method still more traditional means?

I'm using an app, I think most people invested in Gamestop will be as well. I'm using eToro as it allows me to jump in on Monday morning without the need for verification and bought stocks right away but Trading 212 is another good app supposedly.

18 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

I bought AMC yesterday too but I fear the game may be up. I noticed AMC down in after hours trading today (our time) - GameStop too actually. Might be completely wrong. 

Can't comment on AMC as I've not been paying attention to it but the part of the reason the share prices dipped is probably down to the WSB discord server and subreddit being shut down for a few hours. That and the big hedge funds cashing out their shorts etc.. at a time where most retail traders cannot do anything as they don't have access to the market at those times. Plan probably was to create panic and a potential sell off at open time, which could still happen.

Believe $260 was the lowest that GME reached. It's flew right back up this morning to the point where shares are currently dearer than they were at close yesterday. $370 per share at the time of this comment.

21 hours ago, Ross. said:

That's Trading 212 stopping people from investing in GME and AMC. :lol: