The Investment Thread

Dindeleux

1 minute ago, Ross. said:

Yeah, today’s news was always giving the airlines and those depending on them a huge boost. Rolls Royce can f**k right off but, and when it gets there it can f**k off from there too. Currently losing the will to live working on their rights issue.

I actually thought it would be a lot longer before I'd see any return, so pleasantly surprised. Surprised Pfizer didn't jump much though. Only slight issue is it's seems some brokers apps and websites have shat the bed and can't get in to trade if I want to. 

I can imagine that's absolutely awful, I've not heard very good things about RR. For me it's an absolute gem right now, my only regret was not buying more but I didn't want to be too heavy into airlines. 

Given what you've said, you're not by any chance an underwriter are you? 

9 minutes ago, thistledo said:

I actually thought it would be a lot longer before I'd see any return, so pleasantly surprised. Surprised Pfizer didn't jump much though. Only slight issue is it's seems some brokers apps and websites have shat the bed and can't get in to trade if I want to. 

I can imagine that's absolutely awful, I've not heard very good things about RR. For me it's an absolute gem right now, my only regret was not buying more but I didn't want to be too heavy into airlines. 

Given what you've said, you're not by any chance an underwriter are you? 

Not an underwriter, no. I work middle office for a well known stockbroker, processing Corporate Actions on the LSE stocks(and a few other smaller exchanges). Generally a fairly stress free existence until Brexit was voted for, and just as it started to calm down again, Covid kicked in. Companies raising cash all over the place and many more being targeted for takeovers. The last couple of years have been absolutely hellish for the workload.

16 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Not an underwriter, no. I work middle office for a well known stockbroker, processing Corporate Actions on the LSE stocks(and a few other smaller exchanges). Generally a fairly stress free existence until Brexit was voted for, and just as it started to calm down again, Covid kicked in. Companies raising cash all over the place and many more being targeted for takeovers. The last couple of years have been absolutely hellish for the workload.

Probably very interesting and if it wasn't for compliance very useful information to have. Working in that environment through Brexit and Covid though sounds like hell. I hope the pubs in Zofingen are at least open! 

48 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Probably very interesting and if it wasn't for compliance very useful information to have. Working in that environment through Brexit and Covid though sounds like hell. I hope the pubs in Zofingen are at least open! 

First 5/6 years I really enjoyed it and it was helluva interesting at times, particularly pointing and laughing at some of the obvious fraud cases masquerading as AIM stocks that somehow always found a lot of idiots willing to throw money at them. The last 2/3 years has been a grind and a half though. Even with working at home and saving an hour on the commute each way I am probably still working 10-15 hours a week more than I am contracted to.

Compliance issues are less to do with information you pick up and more to do with having to hold stocks for a minimum time before being allowed to close the position again. Main reason I tend not to trade very often, and probably saves me a fortune.

As for the pubs, I think I last had a drink in June. Aside from the working hours and the periods of covid related restrictions, my son being born and passing my driving test has almost completely dried me out. I wonder if perhaps that is the real source of my work related stress issues...

That would quite interesting / funny, poor b*****ds, it's mental what people will invest in, given the vast amount of fairly reliable ways of investing. I've been fairly fortunate over the last 5-6 years where work load and stress have been low, that and I'm never in the same place too long which is nice. 

Ah yes at my previous gig for an asset manager I didn't bother with shares as it looked like a hassle with compliance and the very thing you mention, I think it was a 60 day minimum. 

New borns with a hangover are hard going. I have a 3 month old and after about 6-7 beers I start thinking, you know it's probably not worth going any further.

1 minute ago, MixuFruit said:

M80 I just saw someone post in the thread and scanned up to see what other folk had said and thought hmm I wonder how those shares are going and made a funny. The greenies have spoken and I created value from this.

I am so happy for you.  Really.

• 3 weeks later...

Vaccine test results gave a wee bump, but surely there mist be some stocks waiting to have a real run on vaccine approval.

Anyone got any bright ideas what they might be? Airlines seems like an obvious shout but I know a lot of folk steer clear of airlines.

Just now, MixuFruit said:

I'm invested in a fund that has some investments in Sartorius which makes various laboratory consumables like filters, DNA sample tubes etc that's gone up a fair bit recently but to be honest I'm not looking to sell it and pocket the profit. Virtually every passive fund I've got money in is rising at the moment which is nice.

I'm a  it hamstrung as almost all of my savings are in either a stock that took a covid bleaching, and is slowly coming back which makes that unsellable really, or one that going up but I dont believe its met its potential, but I firmly believe there is a golden goose waiting on vaccine approval just dont know what it is....

I dunno. I don't really invest with the hope of some tulips event I can capitalise on. If you invest in one of the low cost index tracking  mutual funds/ETFs they'll all have shares in AstraZeneca etc.
I probably need to grow up, I spend what little time I look at markets contemplating where I am going to pick up a 10 bagger that changes my life

Have always shied away from investing in individual stocks. I feel like unless you do a full blooded analysis of a stock, which is a big piece of work, you're not really doing much more than gambling.
Not to say there isn't risk associated with funds (I'm nervous about Tesla going on the S&P 500 and forcing passive funds to invest in it at the expense of other stocks in that index) but at least your money is spread over many more things and can absorb shocks if you're investing for the long term.
In fairness, there were mitigating circumstances for why I have the 2 stocks I have. One is from a previous employers incentive plan and one is the result of quite blatant "insider trading" and me having knowledge I really shouldnt have/placing my trust in a few folk rather than actually knowing about it or researching.

That said, it is currently sitting at 3 x my money but hoping for more.

Once these two are gone I will likely never have as much money tied up in stocks again but I am a sucker for a wee gamble.

4 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

thats like 99% of the funds out there :D (probably including your pension investments!)

My work has an additional pension contribution scheme and a load of folk were making a big song and dance about wanting an ethical fund to put it into, ignoring that their main pension fund is rammed with BAT, BP etc.

Im talking some serious nasty profitable shit like nuclear weapons and cigarette companies who’s fags cause more disease than any others or car companies with seatbelts made from tissue or oil companies who go out their way to spill crude? Essentially does Dr Evil have a hedge fund? 
But no im seriously interested in investing in renewable companies as ‘its the future’ and all that jazz. 

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Vaccine test results gave a wee bump, but surely there mist be some stocks waiting to have a real run on vaccine approval.

Anyone got any bright ideas what they might be? Airlines seems like an obvious shout but I know a lot of folk steer clear of airlines.

I mentioned a while ago IAG were a shout, this was indeed the correct call. I think I'd be cautious investing in them now, but I think they have more to give. I'm holding my position anyway. Same goes for RR. 

HSBC and Royal Dutch Shell are holds for me, might still be worth investing. 

I guess it's just think about what's going to recover well when this all blows over.

16 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I’ve not got any investments but have been looking and thinking about perhaps taking the plunge, just a few hundred quid or something. Ive seen that there are ethical funds etc, but are there any nasty invest in any thing so long as it makes a profit type affairs? 

I don't even look at ethical funds. Tech funds are doing well still, can be a bit cyclical, which if you are on the ball you can move money around. MedTech funds worth a shout. Worth having a look at Chinese emerging markets funds. 

5 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Crazy disparities in economic knowledge in this ONS survey in the FT:

https://www.ft.com/content/93821297-96ea-4286-8f01-ccb6fa09161f

image.png.cb896b6d20d4fb467f5d7d11ede972ca.png

And this quote boggles my mind. I am sorry but yes it fucking is the solution.

image.png.237525db3f904b903f5e57452bde9f49.png

Economists are rubbish at communication though and could do a lot more to make some important concepts a lot more accessible for the average person.

59 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I’ve not got any investments but have been looking and thinking about perhaps taking the plunge, just a few hundred quid or something. Ive seen that there are ethical funds etc, but are there any nasty invest in any thing so long as it makes a profit type affairs? 

This is a link to the Nest quarterly report, Nest is one of the low cost pension schemes set up for statutory pension contributions, though anyone who wants a pension can join.

5 yearly annualised returns:

standard fund - 9.4%

ethical fund - 12.1%

higher risk fund - 11.2%

sharia fund - 19.7%

My sons have switched to the sharia fund and if I wasn’t getting close to retirement I’d probably ditch my SIPP (12.5% as at today) and do the same.

https://www.nestpensions.org.uk/schemeweb/dam/nestlibrary/QIR-Q3-2020.pdf

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

This is a link to the Nest quarterly report, Nest is one of the low cost pension schemes set up for statutory pension contributions, though anyone who wants a pension can join.

5 yearly annualised returns:

standard fund - 9.4%

ethical fund - 12.1%

higher risk fund - 11.2%

sharia fund - 19.7%

My sons have switched to the sharia fund and if I wasn’t getting close to retirement I’d probably ditch my SIPP (12.5% as at today) and do the same.

https://www.nestpensions.org.uk/schemeweb/dam/nestlibrary/QIR-Q3-2020.pdf

Why is the Sharia fund doing so well? Besides a couple runs in Vegas she’s done nothing since ‘Man! i feel like a woman’?