The Investment Thread

Dindeleux

46 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The annualised growth rate for my SIPP as of this morning is 9% (not allowing for inflation).  This is down from an artificially high 11.1% just before COVID-19 hit but well up on the lowest point of zero just a few weeks ago.

I know the economy and the stock market are not the same thing, but the latter is usually an indication of the health of the former.  Given all that is happening and the widespread projections of economic gloom I am astounded that the market still appears so healthy.

In the UK, the recovery from the crash this year has so far been relatively modest compared to the US, which has become so detached from reality it's farcical. It's at the point over there where the worse the economic news is, the more it pumps the stock markets higher as it gives the institutional investors confidence that the central banks will pour more emergency assistance in to boost it. 

Incidentally the gold miners I mentioned earlier in the thread are up 45% since I posted, so I'd like to retrospectively state that it was definitely financial advice.

I noticed a story yesterday that Beardy Branson is trying to raise funds by selling shares in his failed Space travel project. 

What a chancer!  I'd rather buy shares in The Rangers.. 

9 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I noticed a story yesterday that Beardy Branson is trying to raise funds by selling shares in his failed Space travel project. 

What a chancer!  I'd rather buy shares in The Rangers.. 

Zombies>aliens type post.

50 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

In the UK, the recovery from the crash this year has so far been relatively modest compared to the US, which has become so detached from reality it's farcical. It's at the point over there where the worse the economic news is, the more it pumps the stock markets higher as it gives the institutional investors confidence that the central banks will pour more emergency assistance in to boost it. 

Incidentally the gold miners I mentioned earlier in the thread are up 45% since I posted, so I'd like to retrospectively state that it was definitely financial advice.

That rings true, most of the funds I hold are heavily invested in the US equity market.

• 2 weeks later...

I think there was a debate on here about managed v tracker funds.  The managed has definitely won.

More importantly the U.S. trackers v the U.K. trackers have definitely won.  Anyone going for FTSE trackers will be in tears.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Musk said himself that Telsa was overvalued, then his net worth dropped $16 billion in 6 hours when it crashed.  Depending on how their battery conference goes in a couple of weeks, it could drop further.  

I’d say long term, it’ll still be a good investment. They’re the market leader in electromotive vehicles, with a lot of the other manufactures implementing their technology.

6 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Musk said himself that Telsa was overvalued, then his net worth dropped $16 billion in 6 hours when it crashed.  Depending on how their battery conference goes in a couple of weeks, it could drop further.  

I’d say long term, it’ll still be a good investment. They’re the market leader in electromotive vehicles, with a lot of the other manufactures implementing their technology.

It's like mobile phones. Huge amount of cross-licensing of technology.

Tesla is in rather a similar position as Amazon was some years ago.  So much mega scale investor money has been pumped in over the years that it couldn't be allowed to fail.   Tesla has only made profits over the last 3 quarters.

When the 'Musk Effect'  fades, Tesla is just another car manufacturer.

Edited by beefybake

On 14/09/2020 at 15:10, thistledo said:

IAG shares worth a punt today with existing shares being diluted, not really expecting anything from it, but seems too good to pass up the opportunity. 

One of the golden rules of investment. Never invest in a fucking airline.

7 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I didn't clock that the revived Scottish Stock Exchange project has fallen through:

https://dailybusinessgroup.co.uk/2019/12/stock-exchange-plan-scuppered-by-funding-failure/

They spent £7,000 on a special bell to ring when it opened.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/scottish-stock-exchange-jet-set-life-of-boss-tomas-carruthers-j2skf9wsq

19 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

I didn't clock that the revived Scottish Stock Exchange project has fallen through:

https://dailybusinessgroup.co.uk/2019/12/stock-exchange-plan-scuppered-by-funding-failure/

Was doomed to failure from the start. London has the monopoly on dodgy money, never mind that all the UK brokers don’t need(Or want) to add another UK based exchange to their setup. When you move beyond the major companies with listings elsewhere and adr/gdr/cdi shares that are tradable outside their home market, which can all be done on LSE as it is, you are left with new starts and companies with no liquidity who would usually go with a matched bargain facility via JP Jenkins or some other joke outfit.

Edited by Ross.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 15/09/2020 at 20:09, Ross. said:

One of the golden rules of investment. Never invest in a fucking airline.

Waited this out a bit and got in at 98. Today they've just shot up to around the 140 mark. Normally I'd have completely agreed with you, but it just seemed like too good an opportunity. Rolls Royce were the same. 

23 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Waited this out a bit and got in at 98. Today they've just shot up to around the 140 mark. Normally I'd have completely agreed with you, but it just seemed like too good an opportunity. Rolls Royce were the same. 

Yeah, today’s news was always giving the airlines and those depending on them a huge boost. Rolls Royce can f**k right off but, and when it gets there it can f**k off from there too. Currently losing the will to live working on their rights issue.