West Region 6th & 13th January

andy25

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Wild Winton Rover said:

Christmas No 1 single on the Pie and Bovril charts the duo of Glens Mad and Archie B with 'But its in the constitution' from the album 'Things have got to done by the book'

Appearing live at the Rutherglen Club on Christmas Eve if not postponed due to weather conditions. The duo will be announcing their  touring schedule for the next 3 months in April.

Bing.jpg

Double booked - Charlie and the Bhoys are playing the Glencairn that night

3 hours ago, glensmad said:

I take all of these points on board and yes I can see the argument from both sides.

But the only factual thing that we have to work from is what are the rules.

The weather has been poor at this time of year and there have been multiple cancellations at some point of the season for as long as I can remember, yet the clubs still voted at the AGM by a huge majority for the new advanced fixtures arrangement.

Now, it is clear that many on here think that is unworkable, and perhaps the West Region powers-that-be agree with that opinion, it certainly appears so. However, the only way that they can prove that is doesn't work is to do what the rules say and implement the new agreement. If it all falls apart then fair enough we think again at the summer's AGM.

You can't prove something doesn't work that has never been tried. It appears that there has been no attempt whatsoever to implement this new rule so far.

Just sticking to the old way of doing it because we think it won't work any other way is not proof that a new way wouldn't work.

Interestingly, our u17  team already have their fixtures right through to May, and they play on grass pitches most weekends.

The highlighted part of the above post says everything about the calibre of person running the fixtures......the but but but we've had call offs does not cut it.  Doesn't matter if the next 10 weeks are called off those fixtures will still be played when the weather improves. The only fact on the whole thing is he's incompetent and obviously can not do the job he gets paid to do its that simple.

The whole seasons fixtures should be done before a ball is kicked and the fudging about with cup runs and call offs done as the season progresses it's not fucking difficult or rocket science. When teams are pumped out cups it's a chance to do catch up fixtures until the end of season 4 games a week.

2 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

I know this. Fact remains that fixturing that far in advance is always going to be notional in the Juniors. 

I do take glensmad’s point though that they were promised so an attempt should have been made. 

Also, you come across as very uppity, or indeed snotty. Is that what you’re trying for? 

I was just baffled by your suggestion that advance fixture setting was part of some sort of election manifesto when anyone on this forum surely knows the true story by now.

As for "fixturing that far in advance is always going to be notional in the Juniors", if you mean there will always be postponements, then that of course applies to most if not all sectors.

If you mean "fixture setting that far in advance is never going to be possible" then I beg to differ.  A whole season fixture list is not only possible, it's highly desirable (if not essential) for clubs to plan ahead!

Give me a week and all the parameters (e.g. fixed dates for the Junior Cup) and I'll set  next season's fixtures for you with or without the help of a computer program. What's more I'll wager that 70% of those would be able to be played on the dates scheduled ... but of course, as has already been pointed out by several posters not just me, that will never be known unless and until it's attempted!

I was just baffled by your suggestion that advance fixture setting was part of some sort of election manifesto when anyone on this forum surely knows the true story by now.
As for "fixturing that far in advance is always going to be notional in the Juniors", if you mean there will always be postponements, then that of course applies to most if not all sectors.
If you mean "fixture setting that far in advance is never going to be possible" then I beg to differ.  A whole season fixture list is not only possible, it's highly desirable (if not essential) for clubs to plan ahead!
Give me a week and all the parameters (e.g. fixed dates for the Junior Cup) and I'll set  next season's fixtures for you with or without the help of a computer program. What's more I'll wager that 70% of those would be able to be played on the dates scheduled ... but of course, as has already been pointed out by several posters not just me, that will never be known unless and until it's attempted!
Why don't you apply for the fixtures sec job then if it's so easy and you could do it no problem ?

Has there been many (any) shown interest in the job (also with Talent and vision as you put it?)

Yes, but the clubs voted by a very tight margin to keep the current Secretary in place, on the understanding that he would implement the new rules.

Yes, but the clubs voted by a very tight margin to keep the current Secretary in place, on the understanding that he would implement the new rules.

Out of interest, how many people applied to do the role? I recall a guy on here (ex committee somewhere in Ayrshire I think touting himself for a role, was there more than him?)

Out of interest, how many people applied to do the role? I recall a guy on here (ex committee somewhere in Ayrshire I think touting himself for a role, was there more than him?)

My understanding was that Kennie Young and Scott Robertson were the only two candidates.

Did anyone actually think he would achieve this I for one knew he wouldn't and I bet I'm not alone also including clubs who voted for him

I cud do it too not hard but weather and Scottish cup makes 70 per cent unachievable

I can't believe I'm saying this, but the man (SR) has actually been proved correct in saying that trying to post fixtures for as much as 3 months ahead during a typical Scottish winter is pie in the sky.  He has plenty of faults but also twenty years experience of scheduling fixtures. The problems of the past few years have as much to do with the reluctance of referees to pass doubtfull pitches as fit for play as anything else.  There are other measures that could be taken to reduce backlog, e.g. do away with holiday weekends fixture  wipeout, allow more games under floodlights, its a nonsense as virtually all clubs now train under them.  Scottish cup ties MUST still allow for a replay though, that is a step too far in my opinion.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but the man (SR) has actually been proved correct in saying that trying to post fixtures for as much as 3 months ahead during a typical Scottish winter is pie in the sky.

No he hasn't. The only way that can be proved is to try it and show us how it doesn't work. Just saying "it doesn't work" without any attempt to try it doesn't prove anything.

No he hasn't. The only way that can be proved is to try it and show us how it doesn't work. Just saying "it doesn't work" without any attempt to try it doesn't prove anything.
So he should indulge in a 100 percent pointless excersise then ?

So he should indulge in a 100 percent pointless excersise then ?

If that's his job (which it is) then yes. I do things at my work which I think are pointless, but my employer wants it done in a certain way, so I do it, while at the same time trying to prove to them that there is a better solution. If I didn't they'd find somebody else to do it.

Are you suggesting he sticks to a week by week basis ?
No I suggest that Scottish cup ties are kept away from late November through until late January , three or four quickfire rounds before then , that eliminates the Scottish cup creating havoc in the months that are normally freezing and allowing league games to be played to the maximum , this needs to be addressed before fixtures being given to march

Archived