Blacking up

DA Baracus

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

dianeabbottpic.jpg.8c85d42ebe6eb2fb1774af22f61dd2cb.jpg

Racist? Or lampooning a figure of fun?

I'm going to go with lampooning, if he didn't 'black up' then maybe not everyone would have got the point (a load of pished folk at the darts) so he'd have looked silly. I salute his political stance than Diane Abbot shouldn't be anywhere near parliament . Uless its as a cleaner or dinner lady. :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

I'm going to go with lampooning, if he didn't 'black up' then maybe not everyone would have got the point (a load of pished folk at the darts) so he'd have looked silly. I salute his political stance than Diane Abbot shouldn't be anywhere near parliament . Uless its as a cleaner or dinner lady. :rolleyes:

A fantastic word salad that has now got me confused. You used to sit firmly on the racist/ homophobic bastirt side of the fence.

And now you're attempting irony (I think)... 

39 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

A fantastic word salad that has now got me confused. You used to sit firmly on the racist/ homophobic bastirt side of the fence.

And now you're attempting irony (I think)... 

I'm not sure I did anywhere else but here, but to avoid confusion, just assume that in the world of P & B that I'm still stoopid and racist/homophobic. Life is simpler that way. :thumsup2 

7 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Diane Abbot is no better or worse than most in parliament.

You have to wonder what it is that makes her, a perennial backbencher, the target for such opprobrium and ridicule.

She's become pretty high profile though, through a combination of longevity, media whoring and being pretty bad at the whole counting thing. For pretty bad read spectacularly bad and brass necked about it. What else could it be.

1 hour ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

You're trying to compare mocking the pigmentation of someones skin with a lazy stereotype. Its a pretty idiotic move tbf. 

Who mocked the pigmentation of someones skin?

40 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Diane Abbot is no better or worse than most in parliament.

You have to wonder what it is that makes her, a perennial backbencher, the target for such opprobrium and ridicule.

Plays the professional Victim. 

Also she's racist.

White people play divide and conquer  she said. All white people? 

And still refuses to withdraw that.

Also is anti British. 

Has said she doesn't see herself as British. 

Every defeat for the British State is a victory. 

2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

If the racist darts c**t went to the darts, not blacked up but with all the Diane Abbott gear on and a large badge with “Diane Abbot” written on it or even a Diane Abbot mask (if such a thing exists), would the racist apologists still be going, “gosh that’s dead funny, a politician is being lampooned”?

My personal definition of a racist doesn't cover that particular instance, it might be ill advised in these days of social media outrage at everything and anything but it ain't racist.

16 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

If the racist darts c**t went to the darts, not blacked up but with all the Diane Abbott gear on and a large badge with “Diane Abbot” written on it or even a Diane Abbot mask (if such a thing exists), would the racist apologists still be going, “gosh that’s dead funny, a politician is being lampooned”?

While I agree that its a bizarre choice to go as, only those that know him can say if its a clever/ironic thing or something more sinister. We've had an example of Matt Lucas doing the same thing earlier in the thread, maybe his 'credentials' are more acceptable, dunno but I thought the character was shit. Ripping the piss out of a shit politician should be encouraged (although what constitutes a shit politician will vary) and 'blacking up' to mimic/ridicule a specific person is a bit different to blacking up with a loin cloth and an afro and waving a spear around. There is all sorts of stuff that people get offended about, to prioritise some people's offence over others isn't right, no matter who you chose to be a champion for.

Looks like I'm a racist apologist.... 

[emoji51]

"Uless (sic) its (sic) as a cleaner of dinner lady"

[emoji51]

41 minutes ago, sureiknow said:

Plays the professional Victim. 

Also she's racist.

White people play divide and conquer  she said. All white people? 

And still refuses to withdraw that.

Also is anti British. 

Has said she doesn't see herself as British. 

Every defeat for the British State is a victory. 

Good.

Whites and Brits are the absolute worst.

7 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

While I agree that its a bizarre choice to go as, only those that know him can say if its a clever/ironic thing or something more sinister. We've had an example of Matt Lucas doing the same thing earlier in the thread, maybe his 'credentials' are more acceptable, dunno but I thought the character was shit. Ripping the piss out of a shit politician should be encouraged (although what constitutes a shit politician will vary) and 'blacking up' to mimic/ridicule a specific person is a bit different to blacking up with a loin cloth and an afro and waving a spear around. There is all sorts of stuff that people get offended about, to prioritise some people's offence over others isn't right, no matter who you chose to be a champion for.

Looks like I'm a racist apologist.... 

Have you ever read any of Matt Lucas's reflections on these characters? I think genuinely a bit embarrassed and regretful about them.

Walliams on the other hand ....

Just now, Melanius Mullarkey said:

People used to be outraged before social media. And computers. And televisions.

I certainly don't remember people taking umbrage at so many things, perhaps moaning b*****d hang around with moaning b*****ds.

Will be good for the millions and billions of black people around the globe to know that the definition of racism is defined by a rando Scottish cab driver. Chompers cranking up his casual misogynoir for bants is just the icing on the cake for the yer da contingent on this thread as well.

Just now, NotThePars said:

Will be good for the millions and billions of black people around the globe to know that the definition of racism is defined by a rando Scottish cab driver. Chompers cranking up his casual misogynoir for bants is just the icing on the cake for the yer da contingent on this thread as well.

No, I think my definition is in line with the proper definition, would the guy at the darts be prosecuted for racism, I don't think so.

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

Have you ever read any of Matt Lucas's reflections on these characters? I think genuinely a bit embarrassed and regretful about them.

Walliams on the other hand ....

No I haven't and to be fair, any angst ridden grief is largely irrelevant, humour is humour, as long as laws aren't broken then what's the problem. There's loads of 'humour' out there that I don't rate, some of it offensive, even as a kid I didn't like Jim Davidson but some did. If Matt Lucas felt some 'pain' after the fact that's up to him, I'm guessing Walliams is a bit more open minded and dare I say.... Tolerant.

Archived