Blacking up

DA Baracus

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

You just never answer a question directly, always dance around it in some way or another after making a fairly vague or bullshit original point. I don't want you to say anything - you said something and I asked you about it. You came on the thread saying "can't make jokes about anything these days!!" (I'm paraphrasing before you say you never said that) and I asked if you found people blacking up funny. Again you avoided answering it and now you're lashing out saying "I don't even care".

You are bizarre.

What I said was nowhere near that.

How is stating I don't give a f**k lashing out, I'm unmoved by it, that isn't lashing out.

I'm quite happy coming across as bizarre, I'm not on here to conform to anyone else' thoughts or behaviours.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

What did you mean by "I can see a time when self deprecation will be the only acceptable form of comedy." in relation to the subject here?

What do you think I meant?

As a Scottish person, why is totally unacceptable to black up in any context but it's ok for TV programs more often than not to fill the alky violent nutter role  with a scotsman,  always acceptable to portray Scottish people as Tommy tight arses etc.

It doesn't offend me but what will happen when it offends enough people?

What will happen when all other sub groups start to get offended about jokes pertaining to their sub groups?

Just now, welshbairn said:

Aye, I don't know what black people are whining about. I got called Jock once and I'm nearly over it.

I'm sure we'll all survive.

Just now, ayrmad said:

What do you think I meant?

As a Scottish person, why is totally unacceptable to black up in any context but it's ok for TV programs more often than not to fill the alky violent nutter role  with a scotsman,  always acceptable to portray Scottish people as Tommy tight arses etc.

It doesn't offend me but what will happen when it offends enough people?

What will happen when all other sub groups start to get offended about jokes pertaining to their sub groups?

So you think once enough people are offended, people  won't be able to make jokes about anything. Which is precisely what I paraphrased. Utterly bizarre.

33 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

You just never answer a question directly, always dance around it in some way or another after making a fairly vague or bullshit original point.

You are bizarre.

This is so accurate. Every thread in general nonsense he strays into ends with this. He'll make a vague or cryptic point that people ask him to explain, then he dances around it for page after page, (I think) in an attempt to come across as the philosophical, thinking man - which he never does.

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

So you think once enough people are offended, people  won't be able to make jokes about anything. Which is precisely what I paraphrased. Utterly bizarre.

It's not what you paraphrased, me expressing my opinion of what the future might hold in no way equates to me posting "can't make jokes about anything these days!!".

I use my own judgement on what I find acceptable as humour and I certainly don't walk about joking about things that I feel would offend someone.

f**k's sake. You use your own judgement, you are not here to conform, things that work for others don't work for you, no expert ever knows what's going on in your head. We get it. You're a real enigma. Bravo. Now bore off, for f**k's sake.

4 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

This is so accurate. Every thread in general nonsense he strays into ends with this. He'll make a vague or cryptic point that people ask him to explain, then he dances around it for page after page, (I think) in an attempt to come across as the philosophical, thinking man - which he never does.

Nah, I'm just lazy, I'm not interested in posting large swathes to simplify things for the hard of thinking, if that comes across as cryptic, so be it, I can live with it, as I've said plenty of times, I don't need pats on the back or the backing of the crowd to keep me going.

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

f**k's sake. You use your own judgement, you are not here to conform, things that work for others don't work for you, no expert ever knows what's going on in your head. We get it. You're a real enigma. Bravo. Now bore off, for f**k's sake.

Well put.

6 hours ago, cowden0 said:

You know nothing of me. Thirty years ago when I took to the stage portraying a black slave, I really emphasised with my character and the ills of discrimination and persecution that were heaped on him. However if my portrayal made one person in the audience
realise the plight of black slaves in the southern states and maybe changed their thought process to their plight, then maybe it served a purpose.
Would this show take place thirty years on unless with black actors? No but thirty years ago every musical company had done this show in the same format as the production I was in. Things have moved on thankfully in a lot of ways in the intervening years.
The following year we put on Fiddler on the Roof. Where I portrayed a Jew persecuted by edicts handed out by a Russian government that despised the Jewish population. The people forced to leave there homes and flea for there lives. I wasn't antisemitic while playing that role in the same way I was not being racist whilst doing showboat.
If you can't tell the difference of theatre, raising awareness on these issues and real life then I'm at a loss.
I despise racism in all its forms. I have gave most my adult life fighting the good fight and indeed still am today. Which is really sad as racism is still far too prevalent today.

You've come to the wrong place if you're looking for a 'grown up' discussion/debate mate.  

5 hours ago, ayrmad said:

You're trying to compare mocking the pigmentation of someones skin with a lazy stereotype. Its a pretty idiotic move tbf. 

Archived