Blacking up

DA Baracus

I don’t think Griezmann (ignorant and naive) being lumped in with far right white supremacists who genuinely despise black people (racist) is helpful - perhaps educating people why it’s considered offensive in some circles would be the way ahead.

Condemning and abusing rather than engaging with people with differing opinions or with naive attitudes is arguably a contributing factor in why things like Trump/Brexit happened and why things are so polarised these days.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LincolnHearts said:

Bring back Love Thy Neighbour and The Black & White Minstrel Show I say.

You never see re-runs of them on Gold or ITV4

I wonder if Brendan O'Carroll gets any snash from the feminists. Surely they could have got a woman to play the part.

I got blacked up, back in the day, for the musical showboat. Don't think I was being racist, indeed the opposite is true as the show highlighted the injustice of segregation in the deep south. I know today any company wouldn't get away with blackening up to portray black people. However having white people instead would dilute the message being put across regarding the horrific nature of segregation. In an ideal world the company could have utilised black actors on stage, unfortunately there little or no black people living in the local community, never mind being actors.

2 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

dianeabbottpic.jpg.8c85d42ebe6eb2fb1774af22f61dd2cb.jpg

Racist? Or lampooning a figure of fun?

That doesn't offend me, because I'm not easily offended by words or actions, but if you can't see why it crosses several boundaries and probably breaks the law you'd be a bit of a lost cause.

come_fly_with_me_uk_2.precious_little.jpg.d2749571e68e04f4daf5a5235079cf4c.jpg

Racist? Or a comedy figure?

It certainly isn’t fucking comedy!

Edit: that’s not to say it’s necessarily racist or that I’m offended. Just comedy it’s supposed to be funny. That pish failed on that front.

Just now, Sergeant Wilson said:

It's a joke based on a stereotype and might be offensive to some. You'd need to consider the motivation of each blacked up person. I think only one is deliberately trying to be detrimental.

Really?

One is portraying a specific person who famously is unable to count. He has dressed like her, got a wig like her, put a red rosette on and blacked up - all to impersonate a specific person and to make a joke that Dianne Abbott would get the scores wrong at a darts game. 

The other has taken a racial stereotype that black people are lazy and made a comedy character out of it.

One is taking the piss out of a person, the other is taking the piss out of a race.

Mind you, one is an ordinary guy that goes to the darts and the other is a BBC luvvie that wins awards for blacking up.

Seen a couple of American "comedies" recently where the humour was like something from a bad 70s British effort. You're meant to laugh at characters because they are protrayed as lazy, stupid black or native Americans. Not in edgy films either - pish like Pitch Perfect 2 is happy to peddle openly racist comedy. 

Archived