Blacking up

DA Baracus

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Maybe because black people didn’t really white up and mock whiteys for being all singy smiley/lazy thickos in the music halls many years ago when whites were treated as a sub species.

Or what DA Baracus said.

The only issue with that argument is that so many people will be ignorant of this history. As a good conscientious person you’d avoid blacking up as you would feel so uncomfortable with the historical connotations.

Using another stereotype, maybe this football player is blissfully unaware of all this, has a brainwave and thinks “I’ll go to a party as a black basketball player”. The act in itself, out of that context of mockery and oppression seems quite unremarkable.

Just now, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Lest we forget Shannon, lest we forget.

It’s not something I’d indulge in anyway. If I get even a wee bit of boot polish on me when smartening up my shoes I’m raging until at least lunchtime. 

Oh, another blacking-up thread. These always go well.

We've hit the "whiting-up" posts early, so it can't be long before someone mentions that young folk don't do racism.

stephen-colbert-disaster.gif

A white person blacking up used to be done at the start of every theatre show in America.  They would then portray the most racist stereotypes for cheap laughs from the white audience.  It was racist and never portrayed black people favourly at all.    This started with slavery and didn't really die out until the 1960s with the civil rights movement.  I wouldn't necessarily think Greizmann was racist for blacking up, but he certainly shows his ignorance.

2 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Nah, I was looking up a quote and read it.

Los lobos kick your ass, los lobos kick your face, los lobos... etc

They’d maybe read the same thing as you - they were talking about it in an episode a couple of days ago (as well as doing a rap freestyle).

Whilst I don't think that Griezmann is a racist, I don't really see a context where blacking up would be okay.  In his case, everyone could tell he was a Harlem Globetrotter from the 80s without blacking up.  What he's done is waste an extra couple of hours getting ready and washing himself in exchange for losing a load of sponsors.

Racist he my not be, but a moron he most certainly is

49 minutes ago, Loki said:

A white person blacking up used to be done at the start of every theatre show in America.  They would then portray the most racist stereotypes for cheap laughs from the white audience.  It was racist and never portrayed black people favourly at all.    This started with slavery and didn't really die out until the 1960s with the civil rights movement.  I wouldn't necessarily think Greizmann was racist for blacking up, but he certainly shows his ignorance.

Black slaves in America would take the piss out of their 'owners' by performing 'the cat walk'  dumb fucking whites would in turn black up and perform the cat walk not knowing they were parodying themselves.

Archived