Blacking up

DA Baracus

1 minute ago, chomp my root said:

No I haven't and to be fair, any angst ridden grief is largely irrelevant, humour is humour, as long as laws aren't broken then what's the problem. There's loads of 'humour' out there that I don't rate, some of it offensive, even as a kid I didn't like Jim Davidson but some did. If Matt Lucas felt some 'pain' after the fact that's up to him, I'm guessing Walliams is a bit more open minded and dare I say.... Tolerant.

So anything is fair game as long as laws aren't broken? That's your actual non-wind up position?

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, invergowrie arab said:

You know there is no crime of racism don't you?

It wouldn't matter, what the correct terminology is, there's no crime in what the guy did.

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

So anything is fair game as long as laws aren't broken? That's your actual non-wind up position?

I wouldn't say its my stance, I'd say its where we're at largely. There are comedians who push different boundaries, guys like 'Chubby Brown' have made a killing over the years, are they any worse than some of the current 'shockers' like Frankie Boyle. I've laughed at both by the way, that doesn't mean I've laughed at all their jokes.

1 minute ago, NotThePars said:

Modelling your basis of acceptable behaviour on what is considered legal or not is fucking stupid but fair play I don't think that's anything new to you.

It's not my behaviour but it's not racist under any definition that I know.

1 minute ago, ayrmad said:

It's not my behaviour but it's not racist under any definition that I know.

Being called a racist on P & B is right up there with being called a bigot on P & B. Any other aspect of your life you might take offence but on here, the terms are thrown about so much they're pretty meaningless.

4 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

League of Gentleman started again last night.

I used to piss myself at the Babs character. Now knowing more about

Yeah but we 

It was more than nitpicking about the correct criminal offence, it was an observation that having criminal sanction as the first and only level of deterrent and  red line in society is a pretty high one.

It has nowt to do with red lines and everything to do with you and others throwing about terms that are wrong for the situation, the fact that I'm saying it isn't racism in no way means that I would do the same thing.

You and the rest can throw the term about as much as you like, it won't make you correct.

9 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Being called a racist on P & B is right up there with being called a bigot on P & B. Any other aspect of your life you might take offence but on here, the terms are thrown about so much they're pretty meaningless.

I couldn't care less what terms folk on here throw about or the numbers involved, I'm surprised they can put their socks on in the morning with all the concern  they appear to carry about for others.

6 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

I wouldn't say its my stance, I'd say its where we're at largely. There are comedians who push different boundaries, guys like 'Chubby Brown' have made a killing over the years, are they any worse than some of the current 'shockers' like Frankie Boyle. I've laughed at both by the way, that doesn't mean I've laughed at all their jokes.

Fair enough.

I think you are still allowed to judge people or better still explain to them why their behaviour is problematic before threat of criminal sanction.

Back to the original point on blacking up my judgemental attitude towards the Abbot guy is that I perceive him as likely being racist or at best having no concern about the affect his behaviour has on others.

However, the better side of me says that you should find that out about people and explain to them why black people might find that offensive and them judge them on what they do next.

I don't personally find it offensive. However, I know some black people who do so I think anyone, black or not , is entitled to point that out.

These are all reasonable things to do whether or not laws have been broken.

Interesting one for me was league of gentleman back on last night and I used to piss myself laughing at the Babs transvestite character. I don't think it was bigotted/ offensive to write it or bigotted/offensive to laugh at it. However. Knowing what I know about trans people now I wouldn't enjoy it if it was written today and I think it probably would be bigoted/offensive to write that now as the trans issue is much more widely known about.

1 minute ago, ayrmad said:

I couldn't care less what terms folk on here throw about or the numbers involved, I'm surprised they can put their socks on in the morning with all the concern  they appear to carry about about others.

I think a lot of them have mater's or nanny's to pull their socks up before heading orf to school in the morning.  Bless.

The likes of ayrmad and chomp my root seem awfy sensitive about people having at some point disagreed with their antiquated views. It seems at odds with the “people take offence too easily but not me” attitude they really try hard to project.

1 minute ago, The OP said:

The likes of ayrmad and chomp my root seem awfy sensitive about people having at some point disagreed with their antiquated views. It seems at odds with the “people take offence too easily but not me” attitude they really try hard to project.

What's antiquated about stating that it's not racist, I don't try to project any image, I post as I please.

5 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Fair enough.

I think you are still allowed to judge people or better still explain to them why their behaviour is problematic before threat of criminal sanction.

Back to the original point on blacking up my judgemental attitude towards the Abbot guy is that I perceive him as likely being racist or at best having no concern about the affect his behaviour has on others.

However, the better side of me says that you should find that out about people and explain to them why black people might find that offensive and them judge them on what they do next.

I don't personally find it offensive. However, I know some black people who do so I think anyone, black or not , is entitled to point that out.

These are all reasonable things to do whether or not laws have been broken.

Interesting one for me was league of gentleman back on last night and I used to piss myself laughing at the Babs transvestite character. I don't think it was bigotted/ offensive to write it or bigotted/offensive to laugh at it. However. Knowing what I know about trans people now I wouldn't enjoy it if it was written today and I think it probably would be bigoted/offensive to write that now as the trans issue is much more widely known about.

I know people who are bored of Irish jokes. I also know friends or family members I wouldn't make homophobic jokes in front of but others that I would (and a good mate who would probably think I'd had a stroke if I didn't). I think they key is 'intent to offend'  which loses something without the face to face contact and you're left with a bunch of fannies on the internet who end up trolling each other.

1 minute ago, chomp my root said:

I know people who are bored of Irish jokes. I also know friends or family members I wouldn't make homophobic jokes in front of but others that I would (and a good mate who would probably think I'd had a stroke if I didn't). I think they key is 'intent to offend'  which loses something without the face to face contact and you're left with a bunch of fannies on the internet who end up trolling each other.

I would admit the jokes I tell with mates in the pub are not the same I would tell in a work meeting. The jokes I crack on here (aye I do) are the same. I think thats fine and healthy.

The examples we are talking about here are in public places so your duty of care, I would say, goes beyond an intention to offend and needs to weigh up if it's likely to offend.

Why wouldn't you tell a homophobic joke in front of certain members of your family? I'm presuming that you would never purposely offend them and that you aren't actually homophobic so the reason you moderate your behaviour isn't because you are hiding offensive beliefs but because you might unintentionally offend.

15 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

So you slag off people in real life for their sexuality, race or whatever, but only when you know they're up for the banter? Don't see why the internet should be any different. Basic politeness.

2 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I would admit the jokes I tell with mates in the pub are not the same I would tell in a work meeting. The jokes I crack on here (aye I do) are the same. I think thats fine and healthy.

The examples we are talking about here are in public places so your duty of care, I would say, goes beyond an intention to offend and needs to weigh up if it's likely to offend.

Why wouldn't you tell a homophobic joke in front of certain members of your family? I'm presuming that you would never purposely offend them and that you aren't actually homophobic so the reason you moderate your behaviour isn't because you are hiding offensive beliefs but because you might unintentionally offend.

Yes, I treat people differently, I'll let you into a secret, WE ALL DO. I treat my mother differently to my rompingly gay mate, I could go on. I don't go out of my way to offend anybody as a rule, quite the reverse but I like to think I treat everybody with respect. Things can get lost in translation on forums with the lack of face to face but that's by the by, there are plenty on here that only want to have a rant. They'll focus on my use of "rompingly" as opposed to the context. Haters gonna hate etc.

Archived