Blacking up

DA Baracus

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Think it depends how it is done but would almost always err on the side of racist. Probably due to social media outrage that we are conditioned to these days. 

If someone is stupid enough to go for the stereotype racist look ie the golliwog, then they deserve to be utterly destroyed for it. 

Antoine Griezmann on the other hand.... Well he could have gone as a white basletball player, but I am genuinely unsure whether there is anything racist about dressing up as a black person? I am not sure you can call him a racist on that basis. 

If you define racism, I dont think impersonating someone in a non derogotary way would come into it. 

I'm sure someone will be along to clear it up for you. I'm sensing a disturbance in The Force.....

Whilst I don't think that Griezmann is a racist, I don't really see a context where blacking up would be okay.  In his case, everyone could tell he was a Harlem Globetrotter from the 80s without blacking up.  What he's done is waste an extra couple of hours getting ready and washing himself in exchange for losing a load of sponsors.

43 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Think it depends how it is done but would almost always err on the side of racist. Probably due to social media outrage that we are conditioned to these days. 

If someone is stupid enough to go for the stereotype racist look ie the golliwog, then they deserve to be utterly destroyed for it. 

Antoine Griezmann on the other hand.... Well he could have gone as a white basletball player, but I am genuinely unsure whether there is anything racist about dressing up as a black person? I am not sure you can call him a racist on that basis. 

If you define racism, I dont think impersonating someone in a non derogotary way would come into it. 

This 

1 minute ago, Cerberus said:

Have any black people been offended by this?

Or is it the usual? A bunch of white people on Social Media being offended on behalf of black people to show how deep they are.

Nooooo, surely that doesn't happen.

AndreIguodalaShockedFaceClippers.gif

47 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Saves me a bit of typing and better put than I’d manage. Is it always racist? Probably not. Can it be deeply offensive - of course or can. 

“Social media outrage” is given too much weight in mainstream media IMO. Loads of simplistic reactions to complex issues regurgitated in outlets like the BBC. 

Being able to muck about with genders, race etc isn’t IMO automatically about power or oppression. We seem to be living in quite repressed times where fun, frivolity and sexuality is demonised. The influence of American right wing conservatism tries to reinforce lines of race and gender rather than the healthier (IMO) way of seeing us all as Jock Tamson’s bairns.

Archived