Celebration of the Scum Slayers; St Johnstone v Hearts 23/12/17

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ken. I'm shocked that a sixteen year-old would show such naivety. 
I don't know why you're taking this so defensively, I'm not having a go at him. He's young and naive, spent the game, after his booking, making late tackles and was eventually sent off for it. He'll learn from it and become a better player, and that game will fade into irrelevance over the course of his career.

Who was the ref btw? Horrendous, game ruining display, from him. Half the corners in that match were wrongly awarded and he spent ten minutes of the match telling folk over for taking a yard at throw ins

For a 0-0 with few clear cut chances I thought it was quite an open, fairly entertaining game. Certainly compared to our recent home matches.

Saints shaded the first half I thought, but Hearts were far better in the second, had good movement and a lot of possession though they only really created that one good chance which the lad (couldn't see who) seemed to miss a bit of a sitter.

A lot of Saints fans were screaming a bit of abuse in the last 5 minutes which seemed way over the top. It was frustrating after Hearts went down to 10 men we went far too direct. It was like a panic must get the ball forward immediately mentality which resulted in us creating very little.

I would say Hearts look a decent side, certainly the best I've seen them for a while. Lafferty gets away with a lot of cheating, but he is very effective and good at what he does.

Overall not a bad point. Other than Joe's poor touch for the goal at Ibrox, our defence has looked fairly solid against two decent opponents. And after our fullbacks were playing poor a month or two back, Foster looks far better defensively, and Tanser is playing very well.

Really hope the Millar sub was tactical as Tommy wanted to get the ball forward earlier, rather than an injury.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I don't know why you're taking this so defensively, I'm not having a go at him. He's young and naive, spent the game, after his booking, making late tackles and was eventually sent off for it. He'll learn from it and become a better player, and that game will fade into irrelevance over the course of his career.

Who was the ref btw? Horrendous, game ruining display, from him. Half the corners in that match were wrongly awarded and he spent ten minutes of the match telling folk over for taking a yard at throw ins

Of course it's naïve of Cochrane, and he will learn from it.

Don't know who the ref was - they're a sorry bunch all over. 

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:
12 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:
Are Saints usually as shit as they were today?

That's the best we've played at home all season.

Jesus, I thought watching Hearts had been grim this season. 

0-0 was a fair result from two teams that have a great defence but struggle to create anything up front.

Was screaming at the game that the Cochrane second yellow wasn't a foul and although I think it was a bit overdramatic from the St J player to go down it was extremely naive from Harry, to be expected given his age though so can't really criticise too much.

Glad there's not another game between us for a while.

Funny how opinions differ. I thought we weren't too bad today. Definitely better than the last  game I was at (Ross County back in November).   

Hearts were better in the second half. 

FWIW I'd have taken a point beforehand. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:
1 hour ago, The Real Saints said:
Are Saints usually as shit as they were today?

That's the best we've played at home all season.

:unsure2:

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

Yes.

On another note, Bonksy says you are both out tonight? What’s your plan?

I'm unfortunately at a house party in Ayr. Very exciting. But I will see you guys soon! Here until Jan 10th.

A draw was about right although I thought we were well on top for a while in the second half. Cochranes second yellow looked a dive and Craig ran 40 yards to get him booked, cretin.

Ref was just crap all day, barely got a corner call right and too fussy at throws.

Wouldve taken 4 points from Celtic at home and saints away before the games so can't really complain. 

I hate watching St Johnstone play football!

Disappointed with way we fell off the game after a bright first half but Hearts definitely improved after the break. Agree with the assessment that we were too panicked in the final 10 minutes and can understand the frustration that crept in but thought the reaction to the team at full-time was fairly positive. Also agree with what was said about O'Halloran being a big disappointment following his introduction. Thought Berra was outstanding for Hearts.

Have to apologise to Widge for doubting his "get MOH running at Berra" tactic, as it would likely be working a treat, Berra is absolutely dire. Souttar showing up well though, the dick.

Berra was probably the best player on the park. Souttar also much better playing alongside him. MOH did attempt to run at him late in the game but it was effortlessly dealt with.

Unlike others I thought we were fine today. It wasn’t a classic but seen worse. Thought TW got the subs wrong and panic set in at the end but much more like ourselves.

Berra was probably the best player on the park. Souttar also much better playing alongside him. MOH did attempt to run at him late in the game but it was effortlessly dealt with.

Unlike others I thought we were fine today. It wasn’t a classic but seen worse. Thought TW got the subs wrong and panic set in at the end but much more like ourselves.

Berra was much better second half than first, although I suspect pumping high balls to him isn't the wisest idea. He's surprisingly fast tbh, caught me completely by surprise as I'd been calling him a donkey all match.

Huge positive for me was Johnstone, didn't do much in terms of scoring, but his overall link up play was very good. Well capable of bringing the ball down, retaining it and moving it on. Can't remember who said he was seen as a MacLean replacement by the coaching staff, but I can see that now.

Also, the group of Hearts fans who spent the game singing "f**k the pope" and how Lafferty "loves the red and blue" were a complete minter

Archived