Celebration of the Scum Slayers; St Johnstone v Hearts 23/12/17

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to the issue of keeping the same team but I'd side on horses for courses. Last season we produced two of our best performances away at Dingwall; the manager picked the same team to play Killie in October and we were dreadful and lost, then in February changed the team and we still lost, again to Killie!

The last performance or result can influence your thinking but other things need taken into account as well. Just saying "same again" doesn't serve much purpose.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What a way to cheer a guy up Random. I now finally see what your burd sees in you.
Until I slip you a digit you'll never truly understand, Tam.

I don't mind the odd bit of tinkering with the lineup so long as Millar starts again,  he can't possibly drop him after running the show like he did at Ibrox, surely not?

There can't be any complaints about fitness either, he's clearly one of the fittest guys in the squad, even more so since he began his part time personal training company.

Wid

37 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

As much as we'd probably love to go with the same team and approach as last week, we more than likely won't - expecting a few changes.

100% Craig Levein has learnt his lesson now  - and I for one welcome our new swashbuckling overlord. 8)

I've never really understood the claims that John Souttar is a poor player, he'd walk in to the majority of most teams in the SPL, including St Johnstone.

He's like the Scottish John Stones, has a few bombscare moments but by and large shows a very cool head for a player that's still only 21.

13 minutes ago, GorgieRoad said:

I've never really understood the claims that John Souttar is a poor player, he'd walk in to the majority of most teams in the SPL, including St Johnstone.

He's like the Scottish John Stones, has a few bombscare moments but by and large shows a very cool head for a player that's still only 21.

Souttar has made numerous mistakes against us and has looked well out of his depth on more occasions than he's even looked passable at this level(again against us). It's quite understandable that Saints fans think he's shite because the body of evidence of games against us suggests that he is shite.

There seems to be a disproportionate number of players from teams who have finished below us for years who would 'walk into' our team. You'd think the teams in question would be better than us given that the quality in our team is apparently so poor. On the basis of what I've seen of Souttar, I'm quite happy to stick with Shaughnessy and Anderson over him.

8 minutes ago, GorgieRoad said:

You forget we watched him a lot for Dundee United over a 2 year period where we ragdolled them and him continuously. He then joined Hearts, and least season we pumped you 4 times and drew once out of 5. The game at Murrayfield might well be the first time he's played in a team that's beaten us.. not certain on that one though.

Stones is a good comparison. One of those uk central defenders who gets hyped ridiculously because he likes to pass the ball out and shows a bit of skill. All very well, but ultimately pointless if you are, at best,  average at your bread and butter tasks such as winning headers and tackles etc.

John Souttar has literally gifted us at least one goal every time we've faced him. The Stevie May hat trick game was hilarious, watching him utterly shite himself every time the ball went near him.

Absolute NAP he'll have a stormer tomorrow

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

John Souttar has literally gifted us at least one goal every time we've faced him. The Stevie May hat trick game was hilarious, watching him utterly shite himself every time the ball went near him.

Absolute NAP he'll have a stormer tomorrow

He literally hasn't.

He did  however, literally perform for a defence that kept a clean sheet against you the very last time we played.

No Djoum, Walker, Moore, Buaben or Hughes availabe for this one.

I imagine there will be once again a good bit of rotation in the squad with most of our midfielders missing. I wouldn't mind seeing Souttar being put into Buaben's role. I can however see him slotting into CB with Smith pushed out to LB and Brandon moved into midfield as Cowie will be moved into the centre of the park anyway with Callaghan if he makes it. I think the team will play deep, look to soak up pressure and hit on the break with pace.

McLaughlin

Randall Souttar Berra Smith

Callaghan Cowie Cochrane

Milinkovic Lafferty Brandon

Archived